Longview (13-0) vs. Spring-Westfield (12-1) Class 6A (D-II) Quarterfinals

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (13-0) vs Spring Westfield (12-1)  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Spring Westfield in a close one
    • Spring Westfield in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Quick said:

I'm willing to double down on that sentiment as well. Someone like Brent Taylor and Johnny Vaughn (FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH) needs to tell John King that the Lobo fanbase isn't too happy with Waco, Texas whatsoever.

And, if you are losing coin flips at a rather disproportionate rate like you are, PLEASE for the Lobo Alum, Community and fans alike get someone else to flip for you and then we will just have to live with the results. Jesus Christ!!! And, I know it ain't JK's fault by any means but, DAMN!!! PLEASE, SOMEONE WITH SOME INTEL, PASS THIS ALONG TO HIM. 

I doubt you lost a coin flip because the game would have been at Bowers if you did. Waco is simply a neutral location for 85% of the teams in Texas. We played Klein Oak at Waco ISD a few years ago. It is a slightly above average football stadium.

1 hour ago, Quick said:

And, till this very day I stand by my statement that their tailback, Greg Nwoko was a grown man at 25 years old or older and when he got to the University of Arizona his old age and competition caught up with him. Now, again. That's MY story and I'm sticking to it!

Man their whole entire backfield was huge. Nwoku was a grown man but Zaviar Gooden is who I remember most from that backfield. He went to Mizzou, currently plays LB in NFL. That should tell you how much of a grown man he was.

They had a 3rd big boy back there too, I forget his name.

Feels good having a Jessie Anderson.

I dont think was a coin flip deal....my guess is Waco was the agreed on neutral site....Baylor is available Sat evening but maybe the coaches didnt want to play at night...(cold, rain etc)....so they had to go to Waco ISD...

Westfield does not travel very well so Longview fans will be fine as far as seating

• Like 1

I know for a fact that King was not happy about Waco ISD. But don't know anything other than that.

Either way, I fully expect Longview's side will sell out this week. Wouldn't be shocked to see some Lobos head over to the Stang side as well, cause as you said, they do not travel well at all.

What's the story on  the Westfield QB? From what I can tell, they lost him for the season so they put their best WR in at QB who is passable but not the starter. Plus, they lost their best WR too since he's now playing QB. 

When did they lose him? I'm guessing it was before they played Klein because they were bad on offense that game (won 10-6). 

• Like 1

Just now, JohnnyFootball said:

What's the story on  the Westfield QB? From what I can tell, they lost him for the season so they put their best WR in at QB who is passable but not the starter. Plus, they lost their best WR too since he's now playing QB. 

When did they lose him? I'm guessing it was before they played Klein because they were bad on offense that game (won 10-6). 

I think they lost him early like the North Shore game

6 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Believe they lost him in the 3rd game of the season. They've had plenty of time to get adjusted to a new QB. They'll be a tough out. Their defense is legit imo. But so was Vandy's.

6 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

I have no doubt King wasn't happy with the site...but Westfield was pushing a home flip so maybe King begrudgingly agreed to Waco ISD as to not risk flipping and having to go to Houston

That'd make a lot more sense. A home flip would've been a disaster with our luck of coin flips.

2 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Believe they lost him in the 3rd game of the season. They've had plenty of time to get adjusted to a new QB. They'll be a tough out. Their defense is legit imo. But so was Vandy's.

Yeah it's crazy we put up 56 on Vandy. And it could've been 70 if we took care of the ball. But alas. 

The only teams to really stop us were Lufkin (still scored 35) with their D-1 DLine in the first game of the season and MAYBE Rockwall where we scored 42. This offense is ridiculous. Hoping we can keep that going. What wins us games is when we score quickly, get a stop, score again, and the other team gets overwhelmed having to chase 2-3 TDs early." Vandy fans said they had the offense built to stop/beat us and a perfect plan to make it happen. And that was good until they fell behind by 2TDs and got into desperation mode. 

Like Mike Tyson said, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

• Like 4

Rockwall only stopped us once all night. Other was a bad fumble by Jessie when we were going in to score. I'd say we only scored 42 that night because of the shortened game we played, as we were definitely ball controlling that game to death in the 4th quarter.

I was really expecting Vandy's defense to be able to stop us more than they were able to, tbh. Not giving up more than 24 points all season, and we had that in the first half. I want to say Westfield's defense is a little better, but I have no idea how to view them. They've definitely a better than average defense. Their offense seems to struggle against teams that actually show a pulse. Their game against Lamar was a one score game in the 4th quarter...same with Horn.

I honestly am still shocked they beat Cy Ranch. Lobos just need to come to play their game and they'll be fine.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

MAYBE Rockwall where we scored 42.

Nope.

Didn't stop us entire night. The two possessions that we didn't score, WR dropped wide open pass that would've given us first down and more.

2nd possession that we didn't score was an uncharacteristic unforced fumble by Anderson as we were driving to score. Rockwall D was bad.

Our offense has been good all year, but right now they are great. Vandy defense was no joke and we put 56 (could have been more) on them. That's more testament of how good we are offensively and I like our chances to move the ball against any D out there.

• Like 3

Vandy was a more of a rangy-good technique-disciplined defense....Westfield is very athletic and really good size...those are the type of defenses we have trouble with historically...I think if we play our game and minimize the mistakes that we will pull away in the 3rd like we did last night....we just can't let them get a lot of confidence...

48 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

I think they lost him early like the North Shore game

and they are still averaging about 35 points a game....don't understand the thoughts of their offense not being good...they had a low score to start the playoffs and that's about it...

21 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

and they are still averaging about 35 points a game....don't understand the thoughts of their offense not being good...they had a low score to start the playoffs and that's about it...

I mean, their district is beyond awful which is where most of their point average would come from. Klein held them to 10, Cy Ranch held to them 17, Horn was holding them below 20 too for most of the game up until the midway point of the 4th quarter.

I don't think their offense is anything compared to what we've played so far this season, in terms of fire power and explosiveness. Their defense is definitely up there with Vandy's and Lufkin's IMO.

24 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

and they are still averaging about 35 points a game....don't understand the thoughts of their offense not being good...

Have you seen them?

They really struggle throwing the ball for one. Horn probably beats them if they do away with excessive passing plays themselves 2nd half in that game, they led 16-14 at half. 

Westfield is athletic, tough in the trenches. We are too so that evens out. What they don't have is good enough offense to keep up with Longview which will be the difference in this game. Lobo defense will have an underrated role in this game as well. If Horn and Klein can make them work, I think we can too.

49 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I mean, their district is beyond awful which is where most of their point average would come from. Klein held them to 10, Cy Ranch held to them 17, Horn was holding them below 20 too for most of the game up until the midway point of the 4th quarter.

I don't think their offense is anything compared to what we've played so far this season, in terms of fire power and explosiveness. Their defense is definitely up there with Vandy's and Lufkin's IMO.

Appreciate the perspective and breakdown...I have relatives that live in Conroe and Magnolia area and they are high in Westfield...they say they haven’t got enough credit and one actually called for them to be here meeting us before the playoffs started...gonna be a good game

43 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Have you seen them?

They really struggle throwing the ball for one. Horn probably beats them if they do away with excessive passing plays themselves 2nd half in that game, they led 16-14 at half. 

Westfield is athletic, tough in the trenches. We are too so that evens out. What they don't have is good enough offense to keep up with Longview which will be the difference in this game. Lobo defense will have an underrated role in this game as well. If Horn and Klein can make them work, I think we can too.

I have not seen them in person but have watched enough to know the defense is stout and probably the most athletic all around we have seen....I think it will be much harder to move the ball on them so we will have to be patient and take what they give us...

and I guarantee they will probably get the most penetration of any team we have faced so we will have to work away from that...glad for all the weapons we have!

There is no comparison between Vandy defense and Westfield defense. Westfield have athletes at most spots. They made a huge amount of mistakes against us in the 1st half and their defense keep it close. Their problem is on offense. Their QB is a decent runner but he is not a good thrower. They scored on us in the fourth quarter because we gave them a short field on two interceptions. Longview needs to jump on them early and force them to play catch up. Whoever dictates the tempo will win this game. You do not want to get into a grind it out game with them because their front seven is really good.  Force them to play catch up by jumping on them early will ensure a win. I suspect they will not be able to generate enough offense to win this game. If Longview plays a clean game they will be move on to the next round.

8 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Rockwall only stopped us once all night. Other was a bad fumble by Jessie when we were going in to score. I'd say we only scored 42 that night because of the shortened game we played, as we were definitely ball controlling that game to death in the 4th quarter.

I was really expecting Vandy's defense to be able to stop us more than they were able to, tbh. Not giving up more than 24 points all season, and we had that in the first half. I want to say Westfield's defense is a little better, but I have no idea how to view them. They've definitely a better than average defense. Their offense seems to struggle against teams that actually show a pulse. Their game against Lamar was a one score game in the 4th quarter...same with Horn.

I honestly am still shocked they beat Cy Ranch. Lobos just need to come to play their game and they'll be fine.

If Longview plays their average and Westfield plays their average- Lobos should win by 3-4 scores. 49-24 type of game. I have seen LV live twice and WF twice on film. Longview just needs to take care of the ball and do what they do. Control momentum, stay ahead of the chains, and play assignment football = Lobo win.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CF21 said:

If Longview plays their average and Westfield plays their average- Lobos should win by 3-4 scores. 49-24 type of game. I have seen LV live twice and WF twice on film. Longview just needs to take care of the ball and do what they do. Control momentum, stay ahead of the chains, and play assignment football = Lobo win.

Do you know if Spring Westfield is an intimidation type of team? Where they try to get in their opponents heads early? That's one thing this Longview team hasn't really faced this year (from what I could tell) but I dont know if it would even matter. In years past it wasn't a problem (Dallas Carter 08 playoff game comes to mind).

• Mr. P changed the title to Longview (13-0) vs. Spring-Westfield (12-1) Class 6A (D-II) Quarterfinals