Conference Realignment?

Stoney

unless a conference is okay with the Longhorn Network then Texas will probably hold unfortunately...it's kept them from going to the Big10, the SEC, the PAC12, the BIG10 again, the PAC12 again, and probably the SEC again.

I think they would seriously be sought by the PAC12, the BIG10, and even the SEC if it became known as a possibility that they were up to move and the BIG12 were possibly breaking up. 

See that would be the lynchpin that also could lead to negotiations for another playoff. Bigger conferences again. If SEC, ACC, BIG10, PAC12 all of a sudden start the expansion move again then it could roll it to 8 or 16 and a upper and lower championship so the teams stop saying they can't compete for a title and $$$. 

8 minutes ago, Nick2011 said:

Texas doesn’t need to leave the Big 12. That would be a mistake for them in my opinion. 

Yes, the Big12 could poach the Arizona schools and they’d immediately be making $7-8M more per year.  Be back at 12 teams and have divisions.the 

2 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

unless a conference is okay with the Longhorn Network then Texas will probably hold unfortunately...it's kept them from going to the Big10, the SEC, the PAC12, the BIG10 again, the PAC12 again, and probably the SEC again.

I think they would seriously be sought by the PAC12, the BIG10, and even the SEC if it became known as a possibility that they were up to move and the BIG12 were possibly breaking up. 

See that would be the lynchpin that also could lead to negotiations for another playoff. Bigger conferences again. If SEC, ACC, BIG10, PAC12 all of a sudden start the expansion move again then it could roll it to 8 or 16 and a upper and lower championship so the teams stop saying they can't compete for a title and $$$. 

LHN will go away eventually.  I feel it’ll evolve into a conference network.  Espn May have to generate a buyout but I think it goes away.

1 minute ago, thegreatbambino said:

I read somewhere that Texas could go Independent

This would be as dumb as moving to the pac12 unless they did like Notre Dame and did some sort of alliance with a P5 conference.

4 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

you're nuts! Texas would blow that conferences doors off...they would cherry pick California's top kids then too.

And who’d be watching them?  Nobody.  Everybody that mattered would be asleep including the cfp committee.  If blowing the doors off a conference is what you’re looking for, quit committing penalties, play better defense and win the conference you’re in.  Texas is already hand selecting some great talent from that area.  Floyd, Smith and possibly McCoy in one haul????  That’s pretty impressive even if the miss on McCoy 

• Like 1

Just now, JohnnyFootball said:

Interesting. 

With the LHN and all, I figured Texas would look at going Independent. 

Now what would that do for the Big XII teams left if OU and Texas left? 

I don't see the PAC taking any of the teams, nor the SEC. Not without some serious restructuring. 

I honestly think they’d be screwing themselves.  Espn has the bargaining power of Texas is independent.  They could say we already have you under contract and will shows all your games there. 

I think what would honestly soon happen is the NCAA is going to come down and tell BYU, Notre Dame, Army, Navy, (and before a Texas would ever go independent) that ok everyone has to get into a conference if you want to get into the "championship tournament field" of 8 or whatever it soon rolls to.

No matter that Notre Dame plays a "tough" schedule...they (the NCAA) don't want to hear from everyone else around the country..."they don't have to play a conference schedule" "they don't have to win a conference championship" "they don't have to play a conference championship game" etc

For fun I’m working on a conference realignment that looks similar to the NFL 4 team divisions. I’ll post it when I finish. 

When conference realignment comes up again in like 2024 or whenever it is, the LHN will be rolled into whichever conference network they join. 

Texas joining the PAC12 won’t cause Texas play every game at 9 or 10 pm, because it’ll become the PAC16 with two 8-team divisions. Texas will get the majority of their games in the 2:30 slots and prime time. Once or twice a year they’ll play a late game on the west coast when they face a cross division opponent. 

If the Big X(II) were to break up, I'd rather see Texas in the SEC to renew their rivalry with A&M and Arkansas.  They would still have the Red River Rivalry in my opinion.  Oklahoma to the Big X (IV) along with Oklahoma State and maybe Kansas State.  Kansas to the ACC or Big East for Basketball.  I don't know where Iowa State, TCU, Baylor, Tech, and West Virginia would wind up.  I'd rather see the Big X (II) try to add to other teams such as Houston, Boise State, or  UCF.  Those are the only teams I think would join that the Big X(II) would want.  I know SMU and Rice would love to be in, but I don't think that would ever happen.  

I’ve said it a thousand times: conference realignment will be all about TV markets the next time it happens, at least for the SEC. UT has no real value to the SEC because they already have a foothold in the Texas TV market. That’s why they added A&M. Mizzou brought in the St. Louis/ Kansas City market. I don’t think they are really interested in expanding right now. If and when they do, expect North Carolina and VaTech to be the targets. That gets them in the Charlotte and Baltimore/ DC markets. The last round of expansion by the Big10 looks like they expanded for the same reasons. Do Maryland and Rutgers really add value to the conference, other than getting a foot in the door into major TV markets? Are there very many Rutgers fans in NYC? The SEC has expanded twice in the last 40 years, most recently in 2012. Don’t hold your breath waiting on them to do it again any time soon. 

My preferred Oklahoma destinations ranked.

1) Stay in the Big 12 and add real quality teams somehow.

2) Join SEC with or without Texas

3) Join BIG 10 with Texas

4) Stay in Big 12 as is

5) Join the BIG 10 without Texas

6) Independent 

7) Join the PAC with Texas

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lhornfan said:

Could you imagine how #### Nebraska would be if Texas went to the Big 10? You know we would be in their division.

A&M and Arkansas would feel the same way about that too lol.

Texas doesn’t have many friends around the country.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Valhalla said:

My preferred Oklahoma destinations ranked.

1) Stay in the Big 12 and add real quality teams somehow.

2) Join SEC with or without Texas

3) Join BIG 10 with Texas

4) Stay in Big 12 as is

5) Join the BIG 10 without Texas

6) Independent 

7) Join the PAC with Texas

1 is the best option

• Mr. P changed the title to Conference Realignment?