Newton (13-0) vs. East Bernard (13-1), Class 3A (D-II) Semifinals

Eagles97

Newton vs EB  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Who Advances to the 3A Div II State Finals?

• East Bernard Brahmas
    • Newton Eagles

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/15/2018 at 01:00 AM

4 hours ago, Pax said:

Schools are always having to pay to use the venues they play in.  Those venues aren't hosting these games for free!  They have to staff the event with ticket takers, concession stand operators, security, scoreboard operators, P.A. announcers, clean up crews, etc.  They have to power up the electricity guzzling lights.  You are seeing all these nice facilities pop up largely because of the revenue generated from hosting playoff games.  Schools always have to pay to use these venues.

AT&T stadium would be no different, and they do it for a fraction of the cost per capita.  And schools still make money - WAY more so at AT&T.  It's not uncommon for a nice venue to charge $5, 10 or $15,000 for use of the venue for a regular playoff game.  This is split between both teams, but they get to keep and split the gate proceeds.  The schools playing in the game almost always end up making money.  However, I don't think AT&T charges individual schools.  The UIL pays them to host all the games.  NRG in Houston charged $450,000.  AT&T charges $150,000.  In 2015, 150,000 people attended the games in Houston.  In 2016 when they moved it back to AT&T, 250,000 people showed up (at a third of the cost for use of the venue).  So, at AT&T stadium - even if each team were individually charged, $150,000 split between the 24 teams that participate in the state championships, that is $6,250 a pop - which is likely cheaper than what these teams would have to pay if they secured their own venue hosting a single game.  However, the gate revenue they get at AT&T is WAAAAAY more.  

The games are scheduled 4 hours apart at least.  If a game goes long, then the entire schedule is pushed back.  They set the clock to at LEAST 60 minutes after a game counting down to the next one.  I think it might even be 90.  I think they do a superb job of moving things along while allowing teams plenty of warmup time.  I've been to these games for several years, and there is a lot more than 30 minutes between games.  It takes more than 30 minutes just to get the fans of the game that just finished out of the stands before they even start allowing people waiting for the next game down into the lower bowl.   

If FSSW didn't have a "monopoly" on the circus and the games were not all played in the same place, you'd probably only see 2 or 3 games aired on cable television, and it sure wouldn't be the 3A game.  If you wanted that one, you'd have to pay $10 to watch a crappy stream with the production capabilities of a startup Youtube channel.

Just asking, but where did you get this information that that NRG charged $450,000?

4 hours ago, Pax said:

Schools are always having to pay to use the venues they play in.  Those venues aren't hosting these games for free!  They have to staff the event with ticket takers, concession stand operators, security, scoreboard operators, P.A. announcers, clean up crews, etc.  They have to power up the electricity guzzling lights.  You are seeing all these nice facilities pop up largely because of the revenue generated from hosting playoff games.  Schools always have to pay to use these venues.

AT&T stadium would be no different, and they do it for a fraction of the cost per capita.  And schools still make money - WAY more so at AT&T.  It's not uncommon for a nice venue to charge $5, 10 or $15,000 for use of the venue for a regular playoff game.  This is split between both teams, but they get to keep and split the gate proceeds.  The schools playing in the game almost always end up making money.  However, I don't think AT&T charges individual schools.  The UIL pays them to host all the games.  NRG in Houston charged $450,000.  AT&T charges $150,000.  In 2015, 150,000 people attended the games in Houston.  In 2016 when they moved it back to AT&T, 250,000 people showed up (at a third of the cost for use of the venue).  So, at AT&T stadium - even if each team were individually charged, $150,000 split between the 24 teams that participate in the state championships, that is $6,250 a pop - which is likely cheaper than what these teams would have to pay if they secured their own venue hosting a single game.  However, the gate revenue they get at AT&T is WAAAAAY more.  

The games are scheduled 4 hours apart at least.  If a game goes long, then the entire schedule is pushed back.  They set the clock to at LEAST 60 minutes after a game counting down to the next one.  I think it might even be 90.  I think they do a superb job of moving things along while allowing teams plenty of warmup time.  I've been to these games for several years, and there is a lot more than 30 minutes between games.  It takes more than 30 minutes just to get the fans of the game that just finished out of the stands before they even start allowing people waiting for the next game down into the lower bowl.   

If FSSW didn't have a "monopoly" on the circus and the games were not all played in the same place, you'd probably only see 2 or 3 games aired on cable television, and it sure wouldn't be the 3A game.  If you wanted that one, you'd have to pay $10 to watch a crappy stream with the production capabilities of a startup Youtube channel.

Just asking, but where did you get this information that that NRG charged $450,000?

3 hours ago, nopantzlance said:

I recall talk after the 2014 state game of Newton being left with a very large bill, even after ticket sales.  I would prefer a Saturday game for a State Championship at a halfway point between the two towns playing.  I know Newton and Waskom are about 2 and a half hours apart, both on the LA state line.  That game  in 2014 could have been played at 2pm on a  Saturday at SFA or even Lufkin Highschool.  An hour and 15 minute drive for both fan bases.  Both fan bases could have been home for supper.  I know renting those stadiums still costs 8 to 10 grand but it would easily cover the cost with ticket sales.  Not to mention the money saved by the schools from travel expenses (wednesday night food/ hotel/ breakfast/ lunch/ supper for the players, fuel).  Atleast for teams who travel as far as Newton.   

Oh and yea I have always noticed teams warming up while the previous 2 teams trophy/medal ceremonies.  

75B2013B-2D99-4F6A-ADFC-D4B66F69BAA7.gif

On 12/8/2018 at 12:09 PM, Owlfred said:

A look at Newton’s game videos tells me that their size, speed and raw talent will, as all of you seem to think, be far too much for EB, or anyone else, for that matter, to overcome.  But EB likely will put up a tougher fight than any other 3A team they’ve played.

The last time they were a four-TD-or-greater ‘dog deep into the playoffs was against Refugio.  EB beat them 43-22.

But this EB team doesn’t have the raw talent of its recent playoff teams.  They weren’t even picked to win district this year, even though they have gone at least three games deep  into the playoffs for the last ten years in a row.  This was supposedly a semi-rebuilding year. But they played hard and continued to improve each game.

But don’t underestimate the toughness and grit of these Bohemian kids.  They’re disciplined, they’re smart, and they Do. Not.  Quit.  Ever.  They’re a totally different type of people than you’re used to playing up in deep East Texas.  

You may win by as much as 40.  But I doubt.  My guess would be along lines of about 34-10. Turf field is going to keep it from being any closer, I expect.  Playing in the mud would make it interesting.

But I guarantee you one thing.  If Newton were going against EB in math, or science, or SAT scores, the Brimmers would beat hell out of them....

I'll be very surprised if Newton doesn't hang 60 in this game. 

And if you want to have a spelling Bee afterward, so be it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JACKETLIFE said:

Have family members that work at NRG and from what a couple of employees say is different than the news column. Their amount was lower but who knows. 

Ok, but this was just one of several columns that all had the same figures.  It's not really all that relevant to the point I was making anyway.   

Since district play started, and from a points allowed per game standpoint, East Bernard will be the best defense Newton has faced all year - allowing just 8.6 points per game.  Unfortunately for East Bernard, Newton just threw up 79 points in a game where they were attempting field goals on first down actively trying not to score more on a Daingerfield defense that will end up being the second best defense Newton will have faced after the EB game (18.2 ppg - not including the Newton game of course).  Oh, and uh, that Newton D is only allowing 6.4 ppg as well (again - district and beyond).

It is pretty insane what Newton is doing this year.  Again, these numbers only include district games and beyond (including opponent averages) :

Newton is scoring 63.9 points per game against defenses that allow 23.6 on average - scoring 40.3 more points than the defenses they are playing normally allow.  And let's be honest here - it could be more.

Newton is holding teams to just 6.4 points per game to offenses that otherwise average 27.3 ppg.  They basically take an offense and subtract 3 touchdowns from what they are used to scoring.  

In the playoffs, Newton is averaging 69 ppg against defenses that give up 19 per game.  50 points MORE than what the defense they are playing normally gives up.  To put this into perspective, the only team in 3A D2 that averages more than 50 points a game period is Newton.  The second most potent offense in the state averages 49 points per game.  In the playoffs, Newton has scored more points BEYOND what the defense they are playing gives up than the next best team in the state scores total.  That's not all - Newton is also holding teams that average 37.7 ppg in the playoffs to just 7.8 points.  To summarize this playoff performance by Newton, take what the defense they are playing normally gives up......and add 7 touchdowns to that.  This is probably about what Newton will score.  Then take what the offense they are playing normally scores.....and subtract 4 touchdowns from that.  This is probably what Newton will hold that team to. 

Newton 56

East Bernard 7        

Crazy tidbit : the closest "game" Newton has played since district started would be their average offensive performance in a single game vs the grand total of points their defense has allowed in the entire regular season plus playoffs.  Newton still wins 64-58.  Musta been a nail-biter.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Pax said:

Since district play started, and from a points allowed per game standpoint, East Bernard will be the best defense Newton has faced all year - allowing just 8.6 points per game.  Unfortunately for East Bernard, Newton just threw up 79 points in a game where they were attempting field goals on first down actively trying not to score more on a Daingerfield defense that will end up being the second best defense Newton will have faced after the EB game (18.2 ppg - not including the Newton game of course).  Oh, and uh, that Newton D is only allowing 6.4 ppg as well (again - district and beyond).

It is pretty insane what Newton is doing this year.  Again, these numbers only include district games and beyond (including opponent averages) :

Newton is scoring 63.9 points per game against defenses that allow 23.6 on average - scoring 40.3 more points than the defenses they are playing normally allow.  And let's be honest here - it could be more.

Newton is holding teams to just 6.4 points per game to offenses that otherwise average 27.3 ppg.  They basically take an offense and subtract 3 touchdowns from what they are used to scoring.  

In the playoffs, Newton is averaging 69 ppg against defenses that give up 19 per game.  50 points MORE than what the defense they are playing normally gives up.  To put this into perspective, the only team in 3A D2 that averages more than 50 points a game period is Newton.  The second most potent offense in the state averages 49 points per game.  In the playoffs, Newton has scored more points BEYOND what the defense they are playing gives up than the next best team in the state scores total.  That's not all - Newton is also holding teams that average 37.7 ppg in the playoffs to just 7.8 points.  To summarize this playoff performance by Newton, take what the defense they are playing normally gives up......and add 7 touchdowns to that.  This is probably about what Newton will score.  Then take what the offense they are playing normally scores.....and subtract 4 touchdowns from that.  This is probably what Newton will hold that team to. 

Newton 56

East Bernard 7        

Crazy tidbit : the closest "game" Newton has played since district started would be their average offensive performance in a single game vs the grand total of points their defense has allowed in the entire regular season plus playoffs.  Newton still wins 64-58.  Musta been a nail-biter.

Awesome brake down like always Pax. 

59 minutes ago, Pax said:

Newton 56

East Bernard 7        

Great info Pax! Top notch! 

I hope for a great game. Newton boys haven't gotten to play a full game all year. Ideally I'd like to see a 45-28 that way Newton plays starts most if not full game, but watching highlights of EB I don't see that. I see something like 60-14. Sorry EB I just don't see how yall stay in this game unless Newton comes out flat. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pax said:

Newton 56

East Bernard 7        

Nice breakdown Pax, very interesting!

I watched Newton twice this year. Once early in the year, and they were very good then.  The next time I watched them is when we (GS) played them in the playoffs.  They were well beyond very good at that point. 

side note: the only thing expected in the GS game was for GS to show up and take a trouncing like the previous 11 teams Newton had played.  we did our part 😁

I know nothing about EB, including exactly where that even is..........but having watched Newton I just can't see that anyone will come close to beating them.  They are very likely the best coached high school team I've ever watched. It's more than just talented athletes.  It's 11 guys on the field who all know their position and from what I've seen also have a full understanding of what the other teams offensive/defensive schemes are.

My hats off to Newton and their coaching staff.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Pax said:

Newton 56

East Bernard 7        

Thanks Pax! 

15 hours ago, nopantzlance said:

AT&T .... NRG....  its all the same to me.  Im an Oilers fan.

AT&T hands down.   Jumbo tron rocks.  Noticed during the Eagles game the visiting bench looking up THE WHOLE GAME.  You don't see that anywhere else.  Felt restricted at NRG

18 hours ago, armchair said:

you are correct JJ ( for once ;)). My bad. They did throw the ball a lot, and that QB was pretty good.

Serious question, how is their hooping gonna be this year? they are usually really competitive.

Both Troup and Arp are going to be pretty decent. Arp should be the very competitive this year and next.....Lot's of good shooters on the Arp team with a very athletic Tren Jones to lead them on the board.

• LOL! 1

18 hours ago, Pax said:

Newton 56

East Bernard 7        

I really don't believe that is true .... EB's defensive stats were complied against inferior teams than Newton has faced.  IF EB had played Newton's schedule during that stretch, I guarantee you they would be giving up more than 8.6 ppg .... 

26 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I really don't believe that is true .... EB's defensive stats were complied against inferior teams than Newton has faced.  IF EB had played Newton's schedule during that stretch, I guarantee you they would be giving up more than 8.6 ppg .... 

You could say the exact same about everyone else on Newton's schedule.  Every team Newton played this year would have allowed more points if they had played the same nondistrict schedule, so it's really irrelevant.  It's why those games are not included.  I'm not gonna make up numbers or speculate about what would have happened if only this or that. 

• Thanks 1

• Mr. P changed the title to Newton (13-0) vs. East Bernard (13-1), Class 3A (D-II) Semifinals