Newton (13-0) vs. East Bernard (13-1), Class 3A (D-II) Semifinals

Eagles97

Newton vs EB  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Who Advances to the 3A Div II State Finals?

• East Bernard Brahmas
    • Newton Eagles

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/15/2018 at 01:00 AM

20 minutes ago, Pax said:

You could say the exact same about everyone else on Newton's schedule.  Every team Newton played this year would have allowed more points if they had played the same nondistrict schedule, so it's really irrelevant.  It's why those games are not included.  I'm not gonna make up numbers or speculate about what would have happened if only this or that. 

Just ignore him. He’s been riding Newton’s jock for years!

1 hour ago, Pax said:

You could say the exact same about everyone else on Newton's schedule.  Every team Newton played this year would have allowed more points if they had played the same nondistrict schedule, so it's really irrelevant.  It's why those games are not included.  I'm not gonna make up numbers or speculate about what would have happened if only this or that. 

All I'm saying is that EB hasn't  played anywhere near as tough a schedule as Newton ... if they had their 8.6 ppg on defense would be a lot higher ... pretty simple ... and no, EB won't be the best defense Newton has faced ...

Edited by KirtFalcon

20 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

All I'm saying is that EB hasn't  played anywhere near as tough a schedule as Newton ... if they had their 8.6 ppg on defense would be a lot higher ... pretty simple ... and no, EB won't be the best defense Newton has faced ...

I watched the WOS game with Newton and that has been about the only team that gave Newton a game and that was on a rainy muddy field. 

56 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

This is precisely why I was explicit in qualifying my statement with "since district has started" and "from a points per game perspective".  I understand there are other factors at play, but I go by numbers.  That's my thing..  You are free to use whatever metric you prefer, but what I said is factually 100% accurate.  It is an objective truth.

As far as the subjective goes, according to Pigskin, East Bernard had the 9th toughest schedule in the state.  Newton, the 14th toughest - and this includes predistrict games as well.  Also, the next best defense Newton will have played gave up 18.2 ppg.  I have a hard time believing that EB would have given up 140 more points this year if they had played Newton's schedule instead, especially considering that I'm sure you would argue that the team that gave up 18.2 would have ALSO given up more if only they had the unprecedentedly tough schedule Newton had, but your opinion is different and that's fine.  It happens. 

This whole thing is just fun for me.  My convictions on the quality of every defense Newton has played are not deep enough to merit my engaging in an opinion-based debate which is why I'm very careful with my wording when stating things as fact.  And in this case, what I said is a fact.  It's not debatable.  You are talking about something different.

10 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

It's a flawed theory using raw numbers.   Even using your "qualifying" scenario, EB will not be the best defense Newton has faced so far ... EB plays in  weaker region ...

Then just dont endorse my numbers.  I will take no offense.  Problem solved...

I will point out though that also according to Pigskin, region III is the weakest of the four.  That's not my opinion, just a demonstration that your claim is subjective - and as I've pointed out, I dont care enough about this game to get into an opinion-based debate.  

19 minutes ago, Pax said:

I will point out though that also according to Pigskin, region III is the weakest of the four.  That's not my opinion, just a demonstration that your claim is subjective - and as I've pointed out, I dont care enough about this game to get into an opinion-based debate.  

...... 😂:rofl::rofl:😂 .....

16 minutes ago, Pax said:

Don't let kirt get to you....he thinks he knows everything...someone once told me he was a cheerleader in high school...that explains why he can't comprehend your analysis of the game.😂

• LOL! 1

9 minutes ago, Tomcatonloose said:

Don't let kirt get to you....he thinks he knows everything...someone once told me he was a cheerleader in high school...that explains why he can't comprehend your analysis of the game.😂

He also doesn’t know if he’s a Dawg or a Cat!

37 minutes ago, Tomcatonloose said:

Oh, he isn't getting to me, but thanks!  Someone asked me to do my breakdown for this game, and I appreciate that people like it. I was gonna do it anyway, but being asked to is a compliment.  I dont understand why anyone would get all bent out of shape about it - especially considering how generous I was with my appreciation for what Newton has put together this year so far.  I mean, I predicted Newton to put up 56 points.  Youd think it should be 90 the way he is acting, but to each his own I guess.  This is all just good fun for me, but I appreciate it.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Pax said:

Oh, he isn't getting to me, but thanks!  Someone asked me to do my breakdown for this game, and I appreciate that people like it. I was gonna do it anyway, but being asked to is a compliment.  I dont understand why anyone would get all bent out of shape about it - especially considering how generous I was with my appreciation for what Newton has put together this year so far.  I mean, I predicted Newton to put up 56 points.  Youd think it should be 90 the way he is acting, but to each his own I guess.  This is all just good fun for me, but I appreciate it.

I enjoy your breakdowns. I don't know how well Newton will do against East Bernard . They win ugly, not flashy just three yards and a cloud of dust. teams that play that way  seem to be hard to measure just how good they are. I feel this will be a tight game for my Eagles or a pure blowout. I think the Brahmas are better than most  think. I know the teams they have already played know how good they are. Anyway i just want my Eagles to win by one point or more.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

My Tigers took a beatdown from those purple yard-birds like never before. It don't mater who's played who, they will stump break those humped back steers, and have steaks for dinner the next day. Newton 63 - 14.  Just saying...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1

The bottom line is Newton has scored an average of 69 points in their 4 playoff games while only giving up 7.8.   They also played has tough has a preseason schedule that you could ask for. Heck Silsbee  is in the 4A div 2 State Semi's. West Orange-Stark  went  2 rounds, Gilmer - 2 rounds. ( All 4A div 2 teams).  And and the second place team out of their district  , Corrigan-Camden went  3 rounds deep.  They put up 79 points on Dangerfield in the quarter final game. 79 points in basically 3 quarters, since they started kicking field goals on 1st down.  That is unheard of.  No disrespect to East Bernard but it will not be a close game.

6 minutes ago, BearDawg said:

The bottom line is Newton has scored an average of 69 points in their 4 playoff games while only giving up 7.8.   They also played has tough has a preseason schedule that you could ask for. Heck Silsbee  is in the 4A div 2 State Semi's. West Orange-Stark  went  2 rounds, Gilmer - 2 rounds. ( All 4A div 2 teams).  And and the second place team out of their district  , Corrigan-Camden went  3 rounds deep.  They put up 79 points on Dangerfield in the quarter final game. 79 points in basically 3 quarters, since they started kicking field goals on 1st down.  That is unheard of.  No disrespect to East Bernard but it will not be a close game.

WOS went (4) rounds deep and Gilmer went (3) rounds deep this year. 

• Mr. P changed the title to Newton (13-0) vs. East Bernard (13-1), Class 3A (D-II) Semifinals