Mason or Refugio

Everide2016

I know they're out of area, but will be facing San Augustine next week. Game starts at 3:30 today.  Who takes this one?  I think Mason can take it if their outstanding QB (Otto) plays a super game and if they can get in Refugio's head early.  But, if Mason lets Refugio get into an early groove, it's over for Mason.  Also, despite all the criticism over the years, Refugio can coach like nobody's business.  They will have an exceptional game plan, depends on execution.

Another factor that is kind of new to those of us who haven't seen it yet is the Refugio QB Ochoa.  He had an incredible game against Shiner with over 300 yards rushing and I think 200+ passing, accounting for 6 TDs.  I have only seen him play one game against Thorndale and he was very solid, but I didn't see this coming, the way he took it to Shiner. I saw Refugio play against Mart and they were playing a tall thin Freshman at QB in that game.  That kid played a little against Thorndale in the second round and he made some moves that were very impressive running the ball and also through a few nice ones.

I watched Mason play Milano in first round (I think).  It was impossible to gauge them because Milano was so small and overmatched.  Based on simple looks/athleticism, they were impressive.

Any San Augustine faithful trekking to this one?

Refugio is rolling since switching back to the spread last week they finally let Ochoa take all the snaps.....he probably should have been the QB all along...hell he was newcomer of the year in Class 5A as a sophomore in 2017...Refugio has kind of a mental thing on Mason so I'll be surprised to see the Punchers win

• Like 1

Wish I was going Ride, but I have to work and have a weekend full of activities already.  Have a good friend in Refugio that is going to keep us posted.  He called me early to congratulate us on the victory last night.  I know they are very anxious to get thru this game, as they truly believe that the winner of next weeks game whether it be them, Mason or us will be the State Champion in a couple of weeks.  One thing you can always count on is that Refugio will be ready to play.  There are no average teams left in the playoffs, they have all proven they belong and Refugio does that year in and year out.  I won't make a prediction in this one, but I just hope it's a good, clean, injury free game for both teams.  These are high school kids that we are rooting for and they deserve the absolute best out of us. 

55 minutes ago, bystander76 said:

Wish I was going Ride, but I have to work and have a weekend full of activities already.  Have a good friend in Refugio that is going to keep us posted.  He called me early to congratulate us on the victory last night.  I know they are very anxious to get thru this game, as they truly believe that the winner of next weeks game whether it be them, Mason or us will be the State Champion in a couple of weeks.  One thing you can always count on is that Refugio will be ready to play.  There are no average teams left in the playoffs, they have all proven they belong and Refugio does that year in and year out.  I won't make a prediction in this one, but I just hope it's a good, clean, injury free game for both teams.  These are high school kids that we are rooting for and they deserve the absolute best out of us. 

Very well said.  

I feel like Refugio takes this. All the hype surrounding Mason as the #1 and the early season losses when Refugio was still trying to find its identity makes me think Refugio has something to prove, and they are really good at doing that. Their offense is clicking and they seem to have the hoodoo on Mason. Would love to see the Punchers PUNCH their ticket to the SA game, but I think it’s a tall task. We’ll see this afternoon!

13 minutes ago, Doomer said:

Yep, watched that game! Think they were down 21 points to Mart too, still came back.

No they will not come back....too may pentalties and mason is taken advantage of it. Mason is running and passing on them with no

problem.That is why they are 13-0 I'm watching on texanlive.

Edited by Rob123
misspelled
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, darktower said:

unless it was just blatant I dont see how an official can just decide a whole teams season with that kind of call---I would have lost my sh.... if I was coaching that game

That official was a little questionable way before that call that offensive pass interference he called left a lot to be desired also