Pleasant Grove (12-2) vs. Iowa Park (10-5), Class 4A (D-II) Semifinals

A2J

PG vs IP  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who Advances to the 4A Div II State Finals?

• Iowa Park Hawks
    • Pleasant Grove Hawks

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/15/2018 at 02:00 AM

7 hours ago, dfwfootballfan said:

Sorry I should have been more clear...IP lost 9... my son graduates from OBU in May, daughter graduated there May '17... great school.  She is getting married in the campus chapel in 4 weeks.  Their football team is on the rise.    

No problem!  Congratulations on your kids and Ouachita Baptist - it's an excellent school and indeed, since building a new stadium (on the home side) in 2014 their football team has gotten better and better, and has had 11 straight winning seasons.

Iowa Park has "nothing to lose" as they see it (https://www.timesrecordnews.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/12/07/iowa-park-hawks-rally-past-glen-rose-region-4-division-title-uil-playoffs-trent-green/2245072002/), and they will be very dangerous.  Their quarterback is a dual threat, as was the one from Pittsburg who gave PG so many headaches on Friday.  This will be a tough game.  Counting on players and coaches giving it all they've got...

I watched the GR/IP game last Friday Night.

IP finally figured out that they could run on GR. and once they figured that out , it made the difference.

Maybe I am wrong on this , but I thought IP had several kids playing both ways.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

If that is true , Then I believe that will show up late in 3rd & 4th Qtr. and PG pulls away.

Good Luck to all and NO INJURIES.

• Like 1

I know this PG team does not have the speed they had last year, but I suspect they will still be faster than IP. Also, game planning for the PG Slot T is a tall task in 4-5 days. I suspect PG wins, and has a much easier week than last. It may be early close, but PG wins by 21+.

2 minutes ago, Unbiased1 said:

I know this PG team does not have the speed they had last year, but I suspect they will still be faster than IP. Also, game planning for the PG Slot T is a tall task in 4-5 days. I suspect PG wins, and has a much easier week than last. It may be early close, but PG wins by 21+.

Overall team speed for PG Running backs this year compared to last year is down just a bit. They had 3 legitimate track dudes last year and Bruce too. Now just Bruce is back. Wiggins isn’t slow, but not as fast as TJ

18 hours ago, OTamandua said:

No problem!  Congratulations on your kids and Ouachita Baptist - it's an excellent school and indeed, since building a new stadium (on the home side) in 2014 their football team has gotten better and better, and has had 11 straight winning seasons.

great coaching staff

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hawkguy888 said:

Overall team speed for PG Running backs this year compared to last year is down just a bit. They had 3 legitimate track dudes last year and Bruce too. Now just Bruce is back. Wiggins isn’t slow, but not as fast as TJ

You are spot on with the difference  in running backs this year but the offensive line is nothing like last year either. I am very impressed with the run game from PG this year. 

5 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

You are spot on with the difference  in running backs this year but the offensive line is nothing like last year either. I am very impressed with the run game from PG this year. 

Yeah that’s what makes this years team even more special. They are doing it with less talent. Not to say we aren’t talented, cause we are. Just not like last year 

• Like 1

Just now, Hawkguy888 said:

Yeah that’s what makes this years team even more special. They are doing it with less talent. Not to say we aren’t talented, cause we are. Just not like last year 

It’s certainly a different running game. Last year if Martin or TJ had the ball they could take it to the house. Wig and Bruce have had some long TD runs but what they really do well is grind down a Defense. These 2 kids have both taken some big hits this year and they get back up and play just as hard. We may not have the speed from last year but I don’t think there is any tougher running backs than these 2 kids. 

• Like 3

PG fans are confident, but the players are not over confident. 

Fans have been there and done that last year and this enough to know. The game has to be played, so the kiddos ever overlook an opponent. 

Iowa Park was in trouble with Glen Rose, and did come back, but it was shaky, and I would say a lucky upset. 

Still, Region One is not the power alley like PG had to clear. 

I think, given they play their game, and play clean error and turnover free ball, nobody is going to match up. 

Oh, and not just nine starters, but doing all this without #40 as well is a testament to the team ability. 

#60 had the announcers mystified and impressed. 

23 hours ago, 68Hornet said:

No, but I bet you every player reads this ####.

Heck, way back when, they used to put it up on the screen in one class. Kids that knew me would quote things I said, so I know they read. 

14 hours ago, futfan said:

PG fans are confident, but the players are not over confident. 

Fans have been there and done that last year and this enough to know. The game has to be played, so the kiddos ever overlook an opponent. 

Iowa Park was in trouble with Glen Rose, and did come back, but it was shaky, and I would say a lucky upset. 

Still, Region One is not the power alley like PG had to clear. 

I think, given they play their game, and play clean error and turnover free ball, nobody is going to match up. 

Oh, and not just nine starters, but doing all this without #40 as well is a testament to the team ability. 

#60 had the announcers mystified and impressed. 

LOL #60 is really # 54 Jamie Lewis. He left his jersey at school!!

• Like 1

You think if the players switched numbers this week it would confuse the other team?:woot:

I look for PG to do what they do.  I don't think Iowa Park has seen a team like the Hawks this year.  I'd be surprised if they kept the game within striking distance, but I've been wrong before.  Iowa Park obviously has a good team to get to the semis.  It's always tough to gauge how another region matches up when there's no common opponents.  You have to treat that team like they are fully capable of beating you, and prepare accordingly.  That's about the best you can do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blackflag79 said:

You think if the players switched numbers this week it would confuse the other team?:woot:

I look for PG to do what they do.  I don't think Iowa Park has seen a team like the Hawks this year.  I'd be surprised if they kept the game within striking distance, but I've been wrong before.  Iowa Park obviously has a good team to get to the semis.  It's always tough to gauge how another region matches up when there's no common opponents.  You have to treat that team like they are fully capable of beating you, and prepare accordingly.  That's about the best you can do.

Very true! Exactly the mindset of the PG coaching staff. Gibson gets a lot of the spotlight but what I really like about him is the credit he gives to all of the coaches. IE: he praised Riley Fincher for the game winning TD call against Gilmer last year! Talking with most of these coaches it becomes clear real quick that they all have passion for what they do. I read an article on one of the coaches and he was asked what is the most rewarding result from what he does. He did not say championships, he did not say to be around sports, he said "To have  students he coached in the past years later invite him to their wedding" That stuck with me.

40 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

Very true! Exactly the mindset of the PG coaching staff. Gibson gets a lot of the spotlight but what I really like about him is the credit he gives to all of the coaches. IE: he praised Riley Fincher for the game winning TD call against Gilmer last year! Talking with most of these coaches it becomes clear real quick that they all have passion for what they do. I read an article on one of the coaches and he was asked what is the most rewarding result from what he does. He did not say championships, he did not say to be around sports, he said "To have  students he coached in the past years later invite him to their wedding" That stuck with me.

The smart guys know the right things to say 😜 and I’m not saying they don’t mean those things at all. But what drives them is wanting to win. The few coaches I know personally, the ones that are very successful are the ones that will fight you over a Thanksgiving ping pong tournament with family and he’s playing grandma in the finals 

• LOL! 1

• Mr. P changed the title to Pleasant Grove (12-2) vs. Iowa Park (10-5), Class 4A (D-II) Semifinals