Longview (14-0) vs. Amarillo-Tascosa (11-3), Class 6A (D-II) Semifinals

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (14-0) vs Amarillo Tascosa Rebels (11-3)  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Amarillo Tascosa in a close one
    • Amarillo Tascosa in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/16/2018 at 02:00 AM

this is going to be a great game....they have a couple of ball hawks in the secondary so it should be a solid test throwing...if the Lobos can jump up 2-3 scores early and put pressure on Tascosa, this would be huge...this type of offense won't be completely foreign to use as we have seen Cove run some misdirection out of the winged T and some other 1 and two back sets this year....hoping for continued disciplined defense....

Tascosa is no pushover...the HC Plunk is an East Texas native, his brother was the HC at Hallsville for a long time...he knows the Lobos and what they bring to the table...

Tascosa really struggled early in the year....Plunk put his kid in at QB full time after the Hanna loss and they've taken off....in that flexbone offense you need an operator and he's great at running that offense.....they've got a couple of good backs including the Purdue commit....the defense has a DL who is a junior who will probably be a FBS commit and a DB who is a Baylor commit....check out this INT...they've got some playmakers....

• Like 1

Doesn’t John Curtis run an offense similar to this?.....honestly I hate watching this type of offense I wish haltom would have beat tastacos.  I know the coaches will have the boys ready but I remember back when we played John Curtis they were able to grind out 1st downs and there is just nothing you can do when they get 2-3 yards per carry and take 6-7

minutes to score.   Seems like we beat them on a field goal by one point or something final score was in the low 20s.

• LOL! 1

4 minutes ago, Lobouno said:

Doesn’t John Curtis run something similar to this?.....honestly I hate watching this type of offense I wish haltom would have beat tastacos.  I know the coaches will have the boys ready but I remember back when we played John Curtis they were able to grind out 1st downs and there is just nothing you can do when they get 2-3 yards per carry and take 6-7

minutes to score.   Seems like we beat them on a field goal by one point or something final score was in the low 20s.

24-20. Held them on 4th down when they could've kicked a field goal, then drove the field in the final minutes to score the winning touchdown.

Game preview added to whatever post my post got pushed down to on a merge. 

Final four will have Longview facing Tascosa at AT&T Saturday night while West Brook faces Westlake at Legacy Stadium in Katy at 4 PM.

Longview hit 14 wins in a season for the fourth time in school history (1937, 1997, 2009 and 2018).

In 109 seasons, with 727 wins overall, the Lobos have never hit 15 wins in a season. They'll shoot for that this week.

Yesterday's defensive output for historical purposes...

7 first downs allowed - 2nd fewest ever allowed in a playoff game (5 is record set in 1937 and 2002)
100 total yards allowed - 3rd fewest ever allowed in a playoff game (13 is record set in 2006 against Bryan Adams)
41 rushing yards allowed - 7th fewest ever allowed in a playoff game (-37 is record set in 2006 against Bryan Adams)
59 passing yards allowed - Fewest allowed since 2011 vs Spring DeKaney (Wildcats had 4 that day). 5th fewest since King has taken over in playoff games.
0 points allowed - First playoff shutout since 2010 vs Tomball. The 11th in school history.

3 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Post game audio with John King following yesterday's 14-0 win over Spring Westfield:

https://www.lobohistory.com/gamelogs/audio/springwestfield12082018postgame.mp3

Audio highlights from Longview's State Quarterfinal win over Spring Westfield -

https://www.lobohistory.com/gamelogs/audio/springwestfield12082018.mp3

5 hours ago, Lobouno said:

Doesn’t John Curtis run an offense similar to this?.....honestly I hate watching this type of offense I wish haltom would have beat tastacos.  I know the coaches will have the boys ready but I remember back when we played John Curtis they were able to grind out 1st downs and there is just nothing you can do when they get 2-3 yards per carry and take 6-7

Sort of. 

John Curtis ran the Veer out of the split back formation. Like those old Bill Yeoman teams at Houston. 

This is a flexbone, a more modern version of the triple option. They'll line up with 1 fullback, no running back, and 2 wing backs near the line of scrimmage. One of those wing backs will go in motion and usually motion to where the running back would be, but he has momentum running. They'll snap the ball as he's in motion and run the play which could be a triple option, designed QB run, etc. 

The ideas behind the offense are very similar but this offense uses different formations and motions 

• Thanks 1

So after many hours of reading and watching I have a few thoughts on this team we are playing....

Offensively....Flexbone just like Shreveport Byrd…see JF post

They average 401 yds/game on the ground and 50 yds/air.  Their QB Plunk and main RB Laroue (left wing) are the two go to guys...They both get about 120+ each on the ground a game.  Laroue is 5'11 and 205...he is like Jesse and has one heck of a quick step.  They have about 5-6 others but Campbell the main of those that will get the ball as well.  They are big and physical as Shreveport Byrd...kind of like DC in 2008.    The difference between them and Byrd is that they have Lufkin's speed at a few positions and the QB doesn't make too many mistakes unless he is forced to throw...on 62 attempts he has 5 interceptions.  They have only lost 11 fumbles this year. 

Defensively they fly to the ball...they have some speed but Longview will match up well.  They are opportunistic and hurt you when you can lease afford it...bend but don't breatk...They are +13 in turnovers with 14 interceptions with one player (#1 White) accounting for 8 of those.  I can't find clear stats on what they have done overall but you can move the ball on them.

Longview is going to have to be very disciplined and patient on defense...offense will get their points...can't keep turning the balls over like we have the last few weeks.

• Like 2

Welp, we're in semis.

Where'd I say we'd be prior to the season? Semis!

I'll also tell you that absolutely no one outside of Tascosa HS thought they would be the team representing Region 1. All credit to them. They have two wins over previously undefeated squads in their playoff run (Arlington and Haltom). Both squads had high statistical offenses similar to Longview. You better believe they are looking to knock off Longview's too and they won't back down.

That said, Arlington and Haltom simply didnt have the defense Longview has nor the number of offensive weapons. We're simply the better team. And I'm telling ya, the Lobo defense will play their part. The offense gets alot of attention but we are dang good defensively too especially in the front 7. The Lobo staff have seen flexbone/misdirection offenses over the years. Pfluggy 07, Byrd 15...Cove a few weeks back come to mind. We will be prepared. 

Lobos roll.

21 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Poor West Texas boys gotta travel forever for all their games. 

I mean they did just get Lake Ridge and Haltom to travel all the way out there. 

Meh.

Im interested in seeing many of their fans show up tbh. We all know Lobo Nation will have their biggest crowd of the year on Saturday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WolverBean said:

We won't be stuck being one-dimensional this week no weather (the 12man)

wolves-clipart-2.png

@WolverBean ........... You gon' have to tighten up on your wolf selection. Looking borderline friendly right there. I'm just saying....... 

• LOL! 3

• Mr. P changed the title to Longview (14-0) vs. Amarillo-Tascosa (11-3), Class 6A (D-II) Semifinals