Longview (14-0) vs. Amarillo-Tascosa (11-3), Class 6A (D-II) Semifinals

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (14-0) vs Amarillo Tascosa Rebels (11-3)  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Amarillo Tascosa in a close one
    • Amarillo Tascosa in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/16/2018 at 02:00 AM

1 hour ago, TheFootballFan said:

Ok great!!! Fantastic! They are they best team in Texas! Longview doesn’t care! It’s about the team they have to play also! Ya think?

Of course lol.....it’s shaping up to be an amazing game....no doubt they are taking the lobos seriously

On 12/10/2018 at 1:19 AM, JTFAN99 said:

wait...did you say they lost to a Brownsville team this yr....hmmmm this game may get ugly...lol    

Hanna did get to the 3rd round of the playoffs and lost by a point...Tascosa should have won that game but they looked lethargic and slow and Hanna took advantage that day....like I said they are much different now simply due to the QB being a straight up operator of that flexbone offense....

On 12/10/2018 at 9:24 AM, wingtveer said:

What do they charge to park ?

I believe its 10$

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

Hanna did get to the 3rd round of the playoffs and lost by a point...Tascosa should have won that game but they looked lethargic and slow and Hanna took advantage that day....like I said they are much different now simply due to the QB being a straight up operator of that flexbone offense....

Definitely a different team...talk I am hearing already shows no one is sleeping on this team....if this same group was together all season they would easily be 14-0 or 13-1...gonna be a great game

Ain't no daisies at this point in the season. Everyone who gets to the semis deserves to be here. 

Tascosa's offense is gonna break a few big plays. No way around it. They do what they do, and they do it well. The key will be whether the Lobo defense maintains the composure to keep fighting the battle up front. Don't get s u c ked in to the misdirection trying to go for the "big hit," just maintain your gap and press your position. Trust your teammates. 

Offense needs a much cleaner game. Protect the ball. Stop trying to force the deep routes. Take the underneath stuff when you've got it. Moving the chains will bring the secondary up, THAT is when you hit it deep. I agree with the other posters who've asked for more of a mix at tailback. No reason to save Kaden at this point. Every defense in 6A knows our RB3 is better than most teams' RB1. Get him in the game. Fake it to him inside then hit Keilan with the swing pass. The LBs can't key on both of them. 

Overall, the Lobos must play with an businesslike attitude. Don't be driven by emotions. Go to work. Expect some chippy play. Tascosa knows they're at a talent deficit. They're gonna bring the "challenger" vibe. Don't get pulled into needless drama. 

• Thanks 1

Lots of mad respect for Tascosa...don’t care for the writer taking a shot at Longview...we are not a Metroplex entitled team...these boys have worked years to get here 😡😡😡.  This article would Anger me as a player

https://www.amarillo.com/sports/20181209/rebels-defy-elites

On 12/10/2018 at 9:52 AM, kingwolf said:

Lots of mad respect for Tascosa...don’t care for the writer taking a shot at Longview...we are not a Metroplex entitled team...these boys have worked years to get here 😡😡😡.  This article would Anger me as a player

https://www.amarillo.com/sports/20181209/rebels-defy-elites

Now I see where it comes from...Matt Diggs started a war with Amarillo fans on Twitter with his comments about Longview.....I am not sure he has watched us the last few weeks...we have turned the ball over way too much in the last 2 games and gotten the worst type of penalties...we have got to fix that or we will come up short Sat

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MattStepp said:

Come on Stepp, It ain't nothing for Valley teams to get to the 3rd/4th round every yr because the first 2-3 rounds they are playing other Valley teams. But when they get to round 3 or 4 they get beat by a San Antonio/Austin school.   Its kinda like East Texas basketball. They can go 2-3 rounds deep, but when they get to the DFW schools, its over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattStepp said:

Plunk played in that game, and he also played against Odessa Permian where they lost. No doubt they're a different team. Have they seen an offense like Longview? 

Longview has played many multi-flex teams in the past. Against Lake Highlands (back when they ran it), we had success. When we played Pflugerville, I don't know what happened but they blew us out. And against Shreveport Byrd, we held them running the ball pretty well, but we couldn't score on them so we lost 22-15. Against the triple option, we're pretty good because of the quickness of our defense. Heck, that Garland team that ran a Wing T... We murdered them. 

I did see some videos on Tascosa. That Plunk is quick. He takes off in a hurry. Then again, the defenses he was playing were slower and didn't tackle well. 

Hanna is a pretty good team. They lost to Vela (although they'd have won if they didn't make so many mistakes) and that other team who both were undefeated and lost to Westlake by similar scores of 28-0 and 26-0. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 10:34 AM, JTFAN99 said:

Come on Stepp, It ain't nothing for Valley teams to get to the 3rd/4th round every yr because the first 2-3 rounds they are playing other Valley teams. But when they get to round 3 or 4 they get beat by a San Antonio/Austin school.   Its kinda like East Texas basketball. They can go 2-3 rounds deep, but when they get to the DFW schools, its over.

But when an East Texas school plays a DFW school and nearly wins its worthy of respect in hoops....same here with football...Hanna deserves some respect they are a good team....

On 12/10/2018 at 10:41 AM, JohnnyFootball said:

Plunk played in that game, and he also played against Odessa Permian where they lost. No doubt they're a different team. Have they seen an offense like Longview? 

Longview has played many multi-flex teams in the past. Against Lake Highlands (back when they ran it), we had success. When we played Pflugerville, I don't know what happened but they blew us out. And against Shreveport Byrd, we held them running the ball pretty well, but we couldn't score on them so we lost 22-15. Against the triple option, we're pretty good because of the quickness of our defense. Heck, that Garland team that ran a Wing T... We murdered them. 

I did see some videos on Tascosa. That Plunk is quick. He takes off in a hurry. Then again, the defenses he was playing were slower and didn't tackle well. 

Hanna is a pretty good team. They lost to Vela (although they'd have won if they didn't make so many mistakes) and that other team who both were undefeated and lost to Westlake by similar scores of 28-0 and 26-0. 

Plunk played but was splitting time at QB....his first game taking all the snaps at QB was Permian.....I was at the Tascosa-Hanna game....I'm by no means considering Tascosa a favorite..they aren't...but they are a team that should be respected...they blew out a good Midland Lee squad, beat Arlington, Mansfield Lake Ridge and Haltom in consecutive weeks...

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

Plunk played but was splitting time at QB....his first game taking all the snaps at QB was Permian.....I was at the Tascosa-Hanna game....I'm by no means considering Tascosa a favorite..they aren't...but they are a team that should be respected...they blew out a good Midland Lee squad, beat Arlington, Mansfield Lake Ridge and Haltom in consecutive weeks... 

I gotcha. Yeah, like I said, I watched some highlights. They run the option well. As an OLD King player, I love the triple option, using the fullback, etc. I also noticed a lot of their points have come in the 4th quarter, as a good option team does. Wear down the defense and be fresh late. Longview definitely has their hands full this week. I don't know who's the "favorite" because they're different teams from different areas in the state with different opponents. I just know that Longview's offense will be MUCH better this week without the elements throwing them off. And the defense is very fast.... But they have to play disciplined to stop an offense like this. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

And the defense is very fast.... But they have to play disciplined to stop an offense like this. 

Yes sir...  being "fast" is not a positive attribute if you're out of position. "Flying to the football" will get you beat if it turns out the ball is on the complete other side of the field. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bluetopper said:

This ain’t just a bunch of hick panhandle farm boys. 

I can tell you that HICK is the LAST thing anyone around here was thinking. I'll be completely honest, though. I didn't expect to see any black players or people for that matter in Amarillo unless they were passing through; much less on a football team. Lol!

• LOL! 3

31 minutes ago, AKA said:

Yes sir...  being "fast" is not a positive attribute if you're out of position. "Flying to the football" will get you beat if it turns out the ball is on the complete other side of the field. 

Yep. And Plunk is deceptive and quick. I'd expect them to do even MORE misdirection because they'll know what they're up against. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick2011 said:

Congrats to this young man on receiving his first D1 offer. Well deserved! 

2047FB1C-2A1A-4F88-A298-0663CD3859F1.jpeg

1st D1 offer, 2nd offer overall (first from Arkansas Tech). 

Great for Anderson and well deserved. 

This year's Longview backfield is going to go up there with some of the best and a case can certainly be made for the absolute best especially if we're talking depth.

Let's be honest, if Williams was bigger, he'd have offers too. And we all know Meredith will play major D1 ball one day. Kevin Jones at 5'10 215 is also a rock at the FB position. Not to mention Markevion Haynes at 5'10 190.

Next year's backfield is going to be damn good too. We'll get Meredith, Jones and M.Haynes back next year + add Shannon Jackson II from JV (who had a TD run vs Cove 1st round). Hutchins will also be another big back out of that sophomore class with Meredith and Haynes. Wow. But we'll think about that when we get there.

Attention is on Tascosa. I truly believe we will win this game and MAY do it impressively. As I said before, they weren't picked by anyone outside of Amarillo to rep Region 1 and they should be respected for that. But it's a matchup thing that does not favor Tascosa's style of play. Our boys are on a mission. Folks slept on this Lobo defense earlier in the year after I told them repeatedly that they had high potential. They are going to play a major role in this game and I tell ya what, JR Goram-Welch has been playing like a mad man since playoffs started. He's been effective all year but since playoffs started he turned it up a notch. Tyshawn Taylor having a damn good JR year at LB, Robert Pierce at S who leads the team in INT, Buchanan at CB...these are all underclassmen doing this! The leadership and experience of great Sr's like Lister, Jacob Johnson, Writt, Jalen Allen is icing on the cake.

We got this. Beat Tascosa.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Quick said:

I can tell you that HICK is the LAST thing anyone around here was thinking. I'll be completely honest, though. I didn't expect to see any black players or people for that matter in Amarillo unless they were passing through; much less on a football team. Lol!

dats raciss stereotyp'n...lol...jk man...i grew up some out in odessa and sweetwater, what little color that was there was top notch talent.  I am hoping to get to go to these games on Saturday, primarily for this game...this is going to be a physical game.  3 great games Saturday.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 11:23 AM, MattStepp said:

But when an East Texas school plays a DFW school and nearly wins its worthy of respect in hoops....same here with football...Hanna deserves some respect they are a good team....

I understand what you are saying. IF Tascosa manage to beat or play LV close, then you are probably right.  But I have to be honest, I need to see that to believe it. I don't want to disrespect any team this far in playoffs, but I think Longview will win this game by a few scores.

On 12/10/2018 at 11:46 AM, Quick said:

lol. Man you would be shock, but its plenty of black people in Amarillo.  Check out Palo Duro High. Not too long ago, they were pretty good in Basketball.

1 hour ago, Nick2011 said:

Sounds like Longview will be just as good, if not better next year. Is that correct? 

Too early to tell but they will be good. 2017-2019 Lobo teams were always going to make playoff runs if you paid attention to what was coming up the ranks. I called it back in 2015.

2020 won't be a bad Lobo team either but their ceiling depends alot on which classification Longview will be during that time.

Beat Tascosa.

1 hour ago, Quick said:

I was surprised too when I saw their highlights. 

• Like 1

• Mr. P changed the title to Longview (14-0) vs. Amarillo-Tascosa (11-3), Class 6A (D-II) Semifinals