Longview (14-0) vs. Amarillo-Tascosa (11-3), Class 6A (D-II) Semifinals

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (14-0) vs Amarillo Tascosa Rebels (11-3)  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Amarillo Tascosa in a close one
    • Amarillo Tascosa in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/16/2018 at 02:00 AM

I just want to clarify a few things I've seen posted here from our Amarillo friends.

A) Longview is not a "Metroplex" team.  That is an offensive term to us. We are 120 miles away from the Metroplex. We play Metroplex teams in district and tend to beat Metroplex schools in the playoffs. Matt Diggs does not cover our team. He knows about us because we beat the teams he covers. 

B)  Longview does not run a spread offense. Longview runs a pro-style offense. They don't run the hurry up. It is very methodical. There's no one player or particular concept to key on.

And I will agree that defending the flex bone or any other type of option offense is all about fundamentals. It's about footwork, leverage, gap integrity, and teamwork.  Those are things that start in spring practice.  You install the strategies the week of the game, but you rely on the things you been doing all year. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Soko111 said:

One good run this year and these posters from Tascosa come rolling out of the “tumble weeds”. 

Well,  it is an East Texas board...I doubt they have the equivalent of a Smoaky in Amarillo... and if they did I'm sure not many ET folks are posting there regularly.  At least they are knowledgeable, respectful, and not just spouting off how they are going to win by X just because they can...

29 minutes ago, Ragtag2007 said:

I just want to clarify a few things I've seen posted here from our Amarillo friends.

A) Longview is not a "Metroplex" team.  That is an offensive term to us. We are 120 miles away from the Metroplex. We play Metroplex teams in district and tend to beat Metroplex schools in the playoffs. Matt Diggs does not cover our team. He knows about us because we beat the teams he covers. 

B)  Longview does not run a spread offense. Longview runs a pro-style offense. They don't run the hurry up. It is very methodical. There's no one player or particular concept to key on.

And I will agree that defending the flex bone or any other type of option offense is all about fundamentals. It's about footwork, leverage, gap integrity, and teamwork.  Those are things that start in spring practice.  You install the strategies the week of the game, but you rely on the things you been doing all year. 

The only way to kill the flex bone is your DL dominates their OL every play.  If that doesn’t happen, then you are relying on a LB or Safety to make a good play.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lkrebel said:

This is true!  The Rebels are not the same team that struggled with Abilene for a 7 point win!  My fear is that Tascosa will view this game like Ryan and will do well until challenged!  The defense is MUCH better than when they started.  LB Moore has grown into his role and is extroidinarly dangerous.  Boogy feeds off teams thinking Doerue is simply a decoy and the more they challenge him, the harder he plays!  Question is can Longview stay focused and disciplined enough to stay on assignment regardless of what they see?  If they can, they will stop the triple-o, if they can’t, we will see the same result as the last 3 games.  

One thing everyone is not talking about.   Longview has a GREAT offense of their own.  Great offense!   Best in the storied history of this program.  Tascosa will have to stop them.  

• Like 1

They talk about you have to defend this and that and this player and that player.  Ok. We will try.  Now what they have to defend.  Longview reminds me of how teams had to defend Dallas in the 90s.  You have to play the run every play, the tailback, fullback and QB.  That’s a chore in itself. Then you have to cover every aspect of the passing game, all WRs, TEs, and backs out of the backfield.  Go Lobos beat the Rebels

1 hour ago, 85lobooldschool said:

One thing everyone is not talking about.   Longview has a GREAT offense of their own.  Great offense!   Best in the storied history of this program.  Tascosa will have to stop them.  

The only reason I haven’t mentioned it in any detail is that I think it is great and goes without saying.  Every pundent from Stepp on down has talked about it and on film I’ve seen it.  It goes without saying in my book.  I “think” that we run the triple-o well enough to score against any team but I have also mentioned before that we will need 2-3 stops and I’m not too sure we will get that.  No disrespect on your D was intended.

49 minutes ago, 85lobooldschool said:

They talk about you have to defend this and that and this player and that player.  Ok. We will try.  Now what they have to defend.  Longview reminds me of how teams had to defend Dallas in the 90s.  You have to play the run every play, the tailback, fullback and QB.  That’s a chore in itself. Then you have to cover every aspect of the passing game, all WRs, TEs, and backs out of the backfield.  Go Lobos beat the Rebels

You are right, and I’m not sure we can do that enough, guess we will have to see!  

2 hours ago, Ragtag2007 said:

tenor.gif

YES! Thank you! The Lobos do not run a "Spread" or "Air Raid" or "Hurry-Up" offense. We are multiple set out of a Pro I-base. Yes, we do run plays out of the Shotgun, but it's rare that we have more than two wideouts, and usually that third wideout is actually a RB who's split out. We use a true three-point-stance tight end, not a chunky slot receiver. 

Hurry-Up offense? Realllllly? Actually, our QB brings in every play from the sideline. In fact, there are actually a small minority of Lobo fans who are annoyed with the fact that we don't run a hurry-up offense, or even a two-minute drill (though the latter point could be debated). If you just watch highlight reels, yeah, I'm sure it seems like we're a spread-it-out chuck-and-duck suburban Metroplex team. But that's just not the case. All these boys cut their teeth on classic old school Pineywoods power running. 

Week-in and week-out we've dominated time of possession. This is a methodical, grind it out approach. We like to milk the clock, it just so happens that we have a few big play standouts who are fond of taking off-tackle runs to the house, and a wide receiver who is nearly impossible to cover one-on-one. 

2 hours ago, Ragtag2007 said:

Oh, and concerning the Triple Option...  

Yes, it can be difficult to get used to when you've not played it more often, but c'mon, this ain't rocket surgery. Almost every style of offense is based on some manner of deception, misdirection, and causing breakdowns in coverage. Ragtag2007 is absolutely dead-on, any defense worth their salt knows better than to over-pursue or blow assignments. Whether you're running the Wishbone, Flexbone, or the damn Single Wing, the front seven has to hold their gaps and play assignments. 

Thankfully our little quick defensive backs absolutely love contact, especially Jephaniah Lister. I'm counting on him to have double-digit tackles, and at least one forced fumble. If Tascosa tries to run at Lister, he's going to earn game MVP, because that young man will bow up to anyone and everyone. 

The reason I fell in love with Lobo football was because I love smashmouth football. This team is special in that they can and will play smashmouth, but can also do other things. we can talk about trying to stop the Tascosa running attack, but has anyone been able to stop Longview's running attack. I mean if they even dared to get meredith a little more involved, I can only imagine how dominate that 3 headed monster would truly be.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BigSashLHS09 said:

The reason I fell in love with Lobo football was because I love smashmouth football. This team is special in that they can and will play smashmouth, but can also do other things. we can talk about trying to stop the Tascosa running attack, but has anyone been able to stop Longview's running attack. I mean if they even dared to get meredith a little more involved, I can only imagine how dominate that 3 headed monster would truly be.

Amen!!!   Exactly!!!!

I don't care how good Tascosa offense is, if it cant stop Longview...it will be on the sideline watching Longview eat the clock while scoring points...a good way to beat a good offense is to keep it off the field...limit their possessions.. Can Longview D shut them down..???...I don't know, but I promise you they are by far good enough to slow them down and cause problems for anybody!!!...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKA said:

YES! Thank you! The Lobos do not run a "Spread" or "Air Raid" or "Hurry-Up" offense. We are multiple set out of a Pro I-base. Yes, we do run plays out of the Shotgun, but it's rare that we have more than two wideouts, and usually that third wideout is actually a RB who's split out. We use a true three-point-stance tight end, not a chunky slot receiver. 

Hurry-Up offense? Realllllly? Actually, our QB brings in every play from the sideline. In fact, there are actually a small minority of Lobo fans who are annoyed with the fact that we don't run a hurry-up offense, or even a two-minute drill (though the latter point could be debated). If you just watch highlight reels, yeah, I'm sure it seems like we're a spread-it-out chuck-and-duck suburban Metroplex team. But that's just not the case. All these boys cut their teeth on classic old school Pineywoods power running. 

Week-in and week-out we've dominated time of possession. This is a methodical, grind it out approach. We like to milk the clock, it just so happens that we have a few big play standouts who are fond of taking off-tackle runs to the house, and a wide receiver who is nearly impossible to cover one-on-one. 

Hell every now and then, we'll even run some triple option stuff too just like older John King teams did. Haynes has a few TD runs on option plays this year.

Longview has the most diverse offense in the state. Have not seen a team any classification run the number of sets Longview does all year. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lkrebel said:

I understand your accessment and agree somewhat, but the difference is our offense is designed to wear the defense down and Longview has never faced that before.  Longview is ultimately successful at out performing other spread offenses with superior defensive play.  They perform well in defending space and understand that role maybe as well as Allen and Duncanville, but they have yet to prove closed spaces and assignments.  If Longview can close that gap then they will defeat Tascosa handily.  If not, Tascosa could slip away with a 7 to 10 point lead that Longview may not be able to answer.  All Tascosa needs is 2-3 stops and if Brandon White can steal a couple of those balls and provided Longview misses just a few assignments, it’s game over.

The thing is, i have yet to see a Longview team get woren down. Knowing from experience Its a mentality Coach King brings to the table with the kids. The key is not them wearing down Longview its will longview over persue and get out of position. It will be a different level of physicality than any metroplex team you all have faced.

Im not sure what you know about longview, but we do not run a spread and We are EAST TEXAS not Metorplex.

We huddle every play not the hurry up. We lul defenders to sleep running power and zone schemes and capitalize on play action pass. This offensive line is built on all 2-3 year starters who have given up maybe 10 sacks all year and few negative plays a game. 

• Mr. P changed the title to Longview (14-0) vs. Amarillo-Tascosa (11-3), Class 6A (D-II) Semifinals