Longview (14-0) vs. Amarillo-Tascosa (11-3), Class 6A (D-II) Semifinals

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (14-0) vs Amarillo Tascosa Rebels (11-3)  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Amarillo Tascosa in a close one
    • Amarillo Tascosa in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/16/2018 at 02:00 AM

7 minutes ago, budmanmpfan said:

This is an ubsurd statement. Players are taught at a young age what the triple option offense is. Especially in East Texas because there is still a lot of teams in East Texas that still run it. Might not be out of the wishbone, flex, or wing but can be run out of shotgun, i form and of course power i. Which of course my alma mater MP ran out of in the 90s. Longview i think might still run a variety of the triple option. And Longview's corners are very fast. Im pretty sure King will have them ready for your offense.

Take for example Georgia Tech and Navy. They run out of the wing t triple option. Neither one is going to a bowl game. Teams put 8-9 in the box against them. Because they cant throw it. If your offense runs a wing t triple option and starts getting stuffed, if they cant throw it, it will be a very long day for your qb, wing back, and fb.

Fair enough!  We will see how well the Lobos can defend against it.  It won't be decided here or on any other board.

(Garland's first drive starts at the 3:07 mark... skip to that)

I was on the sidelines of this game as a Sophomore. I had never really understood the mantra "speed kills" until this moment. I saw the fullback getting hit BEFORE receiving the handoff in the backfield and realized why trying to block those guys was so hard in practice. I don't know how this defense's speed compares to this 2002 defense, but man oh man. Our defensive TACKLE, Kendall Peoples, was the district's 100m champion at 260 lbs. He hit me one time in practice and I thought I was dead. This game was purely a mismatch from a speed standpoint. Hoping we can use that speed against Tascosa, although Tascosa are extremely well coached and will likely try to use that speed against us. 

It's funny... When I heard we were playing #7 nationally ranked John Curtis in 2007, I wasn't worried because I know what we could do against triple option teams. 

4 minutes ago, lkrebel said:

Fair enough!  We will see how well the Lobos can defend against it.  It won't be decided here or on any other board.

Correct. I like you, man.

You're not like some of the other fans who, when challenged on their points, immediately retreat to a straw man of "LONGVIEW ARE GOD'S GIFT TO FOOTBALL AND TEHY WIN BY 50" like some others. You're right- we can talk ourselves til we're blue in the face and it'll mean nothing come Saturday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 85lobooldschool said:

Was he the QB when E.D. Jackson was the tailback?

Dude as a Lobo alumn, I am extremely embarrassed about that loss to Kilgore till this very day! I don't care how good they were. I was in the mindset to lose to anybody but, them. 

I have been wanting to get revenge on them since the mid to late 80's and I was like in the 1st or 2nd grade at that time. You are talking about FUMING 🔥 as a child. 

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, lkrebel said:

And I know you're not a DFW team, i'm simply using Allen and Duncanville as examples of outstanding defenses for comparison.

Naw. You know NOW since you've finally decided to use google and find out where we are exactly and it probably had more so to do with everyone bashing you across your head for like the 19th time that we are East Texas before you finally ALLOWED it to resonate with you that we aren't a D/FW team. Hell, the D/FW will gladly tell you that. 

28 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Correct. I like you, man.

You're not like some of the other fans who, when challenged on their points, immediately retreat to a straw man of "LONGVIEW ARE GOD'S GIFT TO FOOTBALL AND TEHY WIN BY 50" like some others. You're right- we can talk ourselves til we're blue in the face and it'll mean nothing come Saturday. 

This is simply my humble opinion and nothing else.  For Tascosa, this game is State!  We do see Longview as the best team remaining.  You have to understand that even the most ardent Rebel fans didn't see this coming (where we are at today) and we are excited and maybe a little over zealous.  Amarillo hasn't had a dog in the hunt since 1992 and West Texas in general has been about as dry as the drought we have been having over the past 20+ years.  Having said that, Tascosa is proud, and we have finally proven to ourselves that we can play on this level.  All three of the last teams we have played were supposed to beat us, some worse than others.  Each game, we have been able to adapt and execute. We struggled early, but we are peaking at just the right time.  We, like everyone else have speed on both sides of the ball, and we also play heads up, smash mouth football.  No other team that we have played will be anything like Longview.  Yes, most youth leagues use a formation like we use, but they don't run a triple option and the triple option is NOT a misdirection offense like the wing-T.  Getting a 9 year old to read a defense is like owning a toilet made of gold...isn't going to happen, and i'm sorry, its not the same.  The triple-o is NOT the greatest thing ever and it has its faults, but its what we run, and we run it well!  I agree with coach Plunk here!  We are not that good until we prove it.  We actually may not be taking this as seriously as we should, but we are having fun!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Quick said:

Naw. You know NOW since you've finally decided to use google and find out where we are exactly and it probably had more so to do with everyone bashing you across your head for like the 19th time that we are East Texas before you finally ALLOWED it to resonate with you that we aren't a D/FW team. Hell, the D/FW will gladly tell you that. 

Nice try, but I'm from Cedar Hill and know where Longview is.  I have family in Mineola. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I was on the sidelines of this game as a Sophomore. I had never really understood the mantra "speed kills" until this moment. I saw the fullback getting hit BEFORE receiving the handoff in the backfield and realized why trying to block those guys was so hard in practice. I don't know how this defense's speed compares to this 2002 defense, but man oh man. Our defensive TACKLE, Kendall Peoples, was the district's 100m champion at 260 lbs. He hit me one time in practice and I thought I was dead. This game was purely a mismatch from a speed standpoint. Hoping we can use that speed against Tascosa, although Tascosa are extremely well coached and will likely try to use that speed against us. 

It's funny... When I heard we were playing #7 nationally ranked John Curtis in 2007, I wasn't worried because I know what we could do against triple option teams. 

👀This was my Jr year 

2 hours ago, budmanmpfan said:

Take for example Georgia Tech and Navy. They run out of the wing t triple option. Neither one is going to a bowl game. Teams put 8-9 in the box against them. Because they cant throw it. If your offense runs a wing t triple option and starts getting stuffed, if they cant throw it, it will be a very long day for your qb, wing back, and fb.

Actually, GT(7-5) is playing in some no-name bowl against Minnesota, but you are correct that when the run game gets stuffed, it’s almost a guaranteed loss. I know because I’ve watched every game since Paul Johnson was hired. GT has less athletic, lower rated recruits than all of the power 5 teams they play, but they have beat a lot of those teams over the years including Georgia, Clemson, VT, Florida State, etc. The triple option is a talent mismatch equalizer. GT’s offense typically gets shut down in two ways 1)Fumbles during pitches 2)Great defensive line play that stuffs everything up the middle. I believe the Lobos will need a great performance from the DL to slow down Tascosa.

1 minute ago, BaLOBO said:

Actually, GT(7-5) is playing in some no-name bowl against Minnesota, but you are correct that when the run game gets stuffed, it’s almost a guaranteed loss. I know because I’ve watched every game since Paul Johnson was hired. GT has less athletic, lower rated recruits than all of the power 5 teams they play, but they have beat a lot of those teams over the years including Georgia, Clemson, VT, Florida State, etc. The triple option is a talent mismatch equalizer. GT’s offense typically gets shut down in two ways 1)Fumbles during pitches 2)Great defensive line play that stuffs everything up the middle. I believe the Lobos will need a great performance from the DL to slow down Tascosa.

Also consider Army, who IS a strong team this year who took Oklahoma into overtime. 

GT beat Virginia Tech, and I'm pretty sure they went 0/1 passing in the game. 

Yes, the triple option is great at neutralizing a talent disparity. It uses a lot of double team blocks, reads, and misdirection. That's why the service academies run it- they don't have the future NFL talent on their rosters so they have to do SOMETHING to level the playing field. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Surprised about the speed mismatch. The Owls have always been able to run with pretty much anyone. I think they won State just a couple of years before this. My buddy was on the Staff and Track staff. They had some fast teams 

9 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Surprised about the speed mismatch. The Owls have always been able to run with pretty much anyone. I think they won State just a couple of years before this. My buddy was on the Staff and Track staff. They had some fast teams 

The were 10-0 and top 5 ranked coming in to that game.  Beat them like 40 something to 0.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

One of my favorite Longview games ever. Garland was ranked and full of ego and trash talk during warmups. Outside of Dallas Carter, I haven't seen a team come in so cocky to a game only to get blown out, they came in with a terrible mental state. Longview ran the option to perfection in that one. 

Tascosa is in the "Longview" role this week...although they won't be getting a bunch of trash talk or ego from the other side. Definitely an underdog with a chance to win. 

1 minute ago, JohnnyFootball said:

It said something about, "Sorry, Longview.... Your season is ending this weekend. We want it to much."

For a program that hasn't done anything remotely significant since 1962, they sure are an arrogant bunch. 

• Mr. P changed the title to Longview (14-0) vs. Amarillo-Tascosa (11-3), Class 6A (D-II) Semifinals