Longview (14-0) vs. Amarillo-Tascosa (11-3), Class 6A (D-II) Semifinals

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (14-0) vs Amarillo Tascosa Rebels (11-3)  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Amarillo Tascosa in a close one
    • Amarillo Tascosa in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/16/2018 at 02:00 AM

I watched 48 games in 05 to 07. 

Great run at TATUM those years.  I coached those boys in little league.  I was with Shans from the beginning.  

Hey if the Rebels win they will earn it.  No excuses here.  We know a little bit about playing football at Longview too.  

I watched the team interviews after last Week’s win.  Very very impressed with the way the Rebel players carry themselves.   That’s a testament to the program.  No Lobo is looking past or disrespecting Tascosa, but on that note we would put our team against any team in the State of Texas. 

9 minutes ago, 85lobooldschool said:

I watched the team interviews after last Week’s win.  Very very impressed with the way the Rebel players carry themselves.   That’s a testament to the program.  No Lobo is looking past or disrespecting Tascosa, but on that note we would put our team against any team in the State of Texas. 

I know the Lobos are a superb football team.. nothing but respect... honestly you all will be harder to beat and a true test of character than the the finals match up if we're hopefully able to make it there in my opinion.... I truly believe that we are playing just as good as any team left in the playoffs and with a little luck, we're looking to go all the way... much love and respect to the Lobos!!!

Same here, we respect and admire what the Rebels have done. In 2010 we started 1-3 finished 6-4 and made to the semis.  We were leading that game against Guyer 17-0 before falling 28-27.  Look at Mesquite Horn this year started 0-7 and gave Spring Westfield all the wanted in round three.  The first year the UIL took two teams Beaumont French was 6-4 and played Permian for the state title.  If I’m not mistaken the game ended in a tie with Permian winning.  Good luck this week you all definitely deserve to be here. 

• Like 1

This Lobo fan say Tascosa Wins by 10 points. Meet King Doerue , Joseph Plunk, D'Andre Campbell and the flexbone!  This offense is too complicated for a High School Defense to figure out. Tascosa has found the formula for a successful ground attack at the high school level. There doesn't seem to be an antidote for that formula. However Lobos  defensive players would do well to watch the Youtube contest between Georgia and Georgia tech.  Georgia tech run the flexbone offense   and Georgia found the antidote to stop it cold. A beautiful lesson on how to CONTAIN the flexbone offense by Georgia. Look for a long night for my Lobos. Tascosa will put  up 38 points and Lobos 30.  Tascosa will lead by 10 points at the half and maintain that lead throughout the contest. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Stinks 3

1 hour ago, racts239 said:

Meet King Doerue , Joseph Plunk, D'Andre Campbell and the flexbone! 

It's gonna get stuffed like Thanksgiving turkey by Goram-Welch, Writt, Lister, Taylor, Allen etc but okay lol

• Thanks 1
  • Stinks 1

I think Longview’s line play (offesive and defensive) will wear down Tascosa. Have done it all year. The o line even wore down the great westfield dline last week at times. Defense is peaking, and will continue after a dominating performance last week. Lobos by +10

6 hours ago, RebelsRock said:

Different team right now.. I promise... well be ready too... Go Rebels #1

This is true!  The Rebels are not the same team that struggled with Abilene for a 7 point win!  My fear is that Tascosa will view this game like Ryan and will do well until challenged!  The defense is MUCH better than when they started.  LB Moore has grown into his role and is extroidinarly dangerous.  Boogy feeds off teams thinking Doerue is simply a decoy and the more they challenge him, the harder he plays!  Question is can Longview stay focused and disciplined enough to stay on assignment regardless of what they see?  If they can, they will stop the triple-o, if they can’t, we will see the same result as the last 3 games.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lobos2011 said:

I think Longview’s line play (offesive and defensive) will wear down Tascosa. Have done it all year. The o line even wore down the great westfield dline last week at times. Defense is peaking, and will continue after a dominating performance last week. Lobos by +10

I understand your accessment and agree somewhat, but the difference is our offense is designed to wear the defense down and Longview has never faced that before.  Longview is ultimately successful at out performing other spread offenses with superior defensive play.  They perform well in defending space and understand that role maybe as well as Allen and Duncanville, but they have yet to prove closed spaces and assignments.  If Longview can close that gap then they will defeat Tascosa handily.  If not, Tascosa could slip away with a 7 to 10 point lead that Longview may not be able to answer.  All Tascosa needs is 2-3 stops and if Brandon White can steal a couple of those balls and provided Longview misses just a few assignments, it’s game over.

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

It's gonna get stuffed like Thanksgiving turkey by Goram-Welch, Writt, Lister, Taylor, Allen etc but okay lol

There simply is no way to simulate the triple option, especially in 4 days of practice.  It might be slowed enough, but you won’t stop it.  It will take its toll over time and cause carelessness in defense, especially early in the game.  The only reason our district is better at playing the triple-o is because there are two teams that play it and they see it more often.  

2 hours ago, racts239 said:

This Lobo fan say Tascosa Wins by 10 points. Meet King Doerue , Joseph Plunk, D'Andre Campbell and the flexbone!  This offense is too complicated for a High School Defense to figure out. Tascosa has found the formula for a successful ground attack at the high school level. There doesn't seem to be an antidote for that formula. However Lobos  defensive players would do well to watch the Youtube contest between Georgia and Georgia tech.  Georgia tech run the flexbone offense   and Georgia found the antidote to stop it cold. A beautiful lesson on how to CONTAIN the flexbone offense by Georgia. Look for a long night for my Lobos. Tascosa will put  up 38 points and Lobos 30.  Tascosa will lead by 10 points at the half and maintain that lead throughout the contest. 

You forgot to mention Ayden Noriega who had 108 yards on 3 carries, and 3 touchdowns against Midland Lee.  He is also an impeccable blocker.  Suttle is another player that if if taken for granted will remind you of a John Riggins who doesn’t mind getting hit going through the line.  32, Max Burleson is another player than can break 10-20 yards simply because your not looking for him to get the ball.  All that being said, I hope you are correct but I choose to give Longview a little more portion than you do!  They are playing on fire and have something to prove after a missed field goal last year.  

27 minutes ago, lkrebel said:

This is true!  The Rebels are not the same team that struggled with Abilene for a 7 point win!  My fear is that Tascosa will view this game like Ryan and will do well until challenges!  The defense is MUCH better than when they started.  LB Moore now sees his role as challenge rather than a job and Boogy feeds off teams thinking Doerue is simply a decoy!  Question is can Longview stay focused and disciplined enough to stay on assignment regardless of what they see!  If they can, they will stop the triple-o, if they can’t, we will see the same result as the last 3 games.  

Exactly

On 12/8/2018 at 10:51 PM, kingwolf said:

this is going to be a great game....they have a couple of ball hawks in the secondary so it should be a solid test throwing...if the Lobos can jump up 2-3 scores early and put pressure on Tascosa, this would be huge...this type of offense won't be completely foreign to use as we have seen Cove run some misdirection out of the winged T and some other 1 and two back sets this year....hoping for continued disciplined defense....

The triple-o is not a misdirection offense!  It simply provides for 3 different options depending on what the defense gives.  One failure and its 5-10 yards at the least!  The QB makes the read at the time of handoff.  If the first doesn’t work, he still has two more options to play the ball.  Couple that with 4 different runner that can move the ball and if the defense doesn’t play perfect assignment football, it’s going to the house or a first down at the very least.  Longview is one of the few teams that has the capacity to force Tascosa into scoring on most possessions however, and that is a LOT of pressure.  To me, that is the real cruxed of the game.  How disciplined can Longview play ball for 48 minutes against an offense they have never seen?  The answer to that determines the game.

On 12/9/2018 at 11:37 AM, JohnnyFootball said:

Sort of. 

John Curtis ran the Veer out of the split back formation. Like those old Bill Yeoman teams at Houston. 

This is a flexbone, a more modern version of the triple option. They'll line up with 1 fullback, no running back, and 2 wing backs near the line of scrimmage. One of those wing backs will go in motion and usually motion to where the running back would be, but he has momentum running. They'll snap the ball as he's in motion and run the play which could be a triple option, designed QB run, etc. 

The ideas behind the offense are very similar but this offense uses different formations and motions 

This is a very good explanation!  The “two backs” close to the line are in the slot position.  The idea was originally developed from the fast break offense of a basketball team.  In the spread, the handoff requires 3-5 yards before the QB or the back hits the line.  In the triple-o, the back already has the ball hitting the line and makes “most” linemen irrelevant if run correctly.   It requires the line backers to play disciplined and not over compensate.  This is where discipline or lack there of will either make or break the game!

On 12/9/2018 at 12:20 PM, ANTI said:

Welp, we're in semis.

Where'd I say we'd be prior to the season? Semis!

I'll also tell you that absolutely no one outside of Tascosa HS thought they would be the team representing Region 1. All credit to them. They have two wins over previously undefeated squads in their playoff run (Arlington and Haltom). Both squads had high statistical offenses similar to Longview. You better believe they are looking to knock off Longview's too and they won't back down.

That said, Arlington and Haltom simply didnt have the defense Longview has nor the number of offensive weapons. We're simply the better team. And I'm telling ya, the Lobo defense will play their part. The offense gets alot of attention but we are dang good defensively too especially in the front 7. The Lobo staff have seen flexbone/misdirection offenses over the years. Pfluggy 07, Byrd 15...Cove a few weeks back come to mind. We will be prepared. 

Lobos roll.

Triple-O is not misdirection!

4 hours ago, 85lobooldschool said:

Same here, we respect and admire what the Rebels have done. In 2010 we started 1-3 finished 6-4 and made to the semis.  We were leading that game against Guyer 17-0 before falling 28-27.  Look at Mesquite Horn this year started 0-7 and gave Spring Westfield all the wanted in round three.  The first year the UIL took two teams Beaumont French was 6-4 and played Permian for the state title.  If I’m not mistaken the game ended in a tie with Permian winning.  Good luck this week you all definitely deserve to be here. 

I have never been so weary of a team like I am with Longview.  Everything on paper means squat when you have a team that is great!  A win by Tascosa would be a HUGE upset and I know that.  Truthfully, we are just happy to be here, but we now have THE GOAL in site.  I hope this is a battle to the end!

6 hours ago, 85lobooldschool said:

i like how people are thinking this offense is an unsolvable puzzle.   Play sound assignment defense.  Don’t over pursue, wrap up.  The QB is the key and when you have a quick one that fully understands this offense it’s very hard to stop. It’s a fun matchup.    Go Lobos beat Tascosa!!!!

I don’t think anyone thinks it’s unstopable, it’s just very difficult in 4 days to properly train a defense to stop it, especially having never seen it.  You can’t just put 9-10 in the box and call it a day.  That hasn’t worked for any of the past 4 teams.  You are forced into having to outscore the offense.  Tascosa gets 2-3 stops and it becomes a true problem.  Speed isn’t a factor as we have plenty of speed to get yardage when we need it.  Two of Haltom’s fastest safety’s couldn’t catch Campbell in a full out sprint and he isn’t even our fastest ball carrier.  Longview plays assignment, and they win.  They miss one, well, it gets interesting...real quick!

5 hours ago, 85lobooldschool said:

You should!  This team is real and not many areas to exploit!  It will take EVERYTHING we have to win, and then, maybe a Football God will have to sneeze to move that ball an extra inch!  We know what we are up against and you will get not trash talk from me!

The best defense sometimes is a potent offense. That's been the real key for Longview most of the year. Get up by a few scores early and it forces the other team out of what they want to do. If Longview hits the big plays (they will need to pull out some new stuff) then I can see the lobos forcing tascosa out of their comfort zone.

If Longview has more than 1 turnover then they are gonna have a tough time.

• Mr. P changed the title to Longview (14-0) vs. Amarillo-Tascosa (11-3), Class 6A (D-II) Semifinals