Carthage (14-0) vs. Liberty Hill (12-1), Class 4A (D-I) Semifinals

PantherNation2015

Carthage vs Liberty Hill  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Who Advances to the 4A Div I State Finals?

• Liberty Hill Panthers
    • Carthage Bulldogs

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/15/2018 at 01:30 AM

2 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

My take on this game. 

I do not believe LH has anyone that can run with Dixon or Kel. Gunner will have a good game throwing the ball. If LV bring double coverage on Dixon and Kel, the tight end and running back will catch a lot of balls. 

No one has said much about the LH defense other than they are small. 

I look for the Dawg O line to give Gunner lots of time and motor grade when running the ball. 

I dont think LV has played a well balanced offense like the Dawgs. 

I also think the Dawg D line is as good as anyone in 4A and will do a good job slowing down LH run game and getting two or three stops and hopefully causing a couple of turnovers. 

Dawgs 42  LH 28

Lets Go Dawgs!!!!!!!

God Bless coaches, players, and fans. 

If LH defense or small, I don't think they will be able to over power Carthage OL. And it's true they never faced a balance and Good coaching staff as in Carthage neither, so yes I see the score around 42 to 28.

6 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

My take on this game. 

I do not believe LH has anyone that can run with Dixon or Kel. Gunner will have a good game throwing the ball. If LV bring double coverage on Dixon and Kel, the tight end and running back will catch a lot of balls. 

No one has said much about the LH defense other than they are small. 

I look for the Dawg O line to give Gunner lots of time and motor grade when running the ball. 

I dont think LV has played a well balanced offense like the Dawgs. 

I also think the Dawg D line is as good as anyone in 4A and will do a good job slowing down LH run game and getting two or three stops and hopefully causing a couple of turnovers. 

Dawgs 42  LH 28

Lets Go Dawgs!!!!!!!

God Bless coaches, players, and fans. 

C&C, I must let you know La Vega’s DL is a notch above our DL this season. 

That’s ok, our boys are getting better, bigger and stronger and are one of the best DL’s in 4A, but not quite the very best. 

7 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I’ve not watched them in person this year so I cannot give a good opinion on that inquiry.

You know where i'm going with this lol.  You saw what it took 2 weeks ago to almost beat us, and it wasn't the ground and pound approach.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

You know where i'm going with this lol.  You saw what it took 2 weeks ago to almost beat us, and it wasn't the ground and pound approach.

They hide the ball or try to anyway on there running approach....more or less sneaky  . They are smaller than carthage but aggressive and physical for there size.Passing isn't

there cup of tea really from what i've seen.Who knows they may try something different in this round.

36 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

I've just one question.  Can LH throw the ball?

They have about 35 pass attempts on the season in 13 games.  Yesterday against LV they had two official pass attempts.  A third pass attempt resulted in a sack.  They were 1-2 with a long TD.  The other was a red zone pass attempt that was incomplete.  On the season they have more INT’s than TD’s.

20 minutes ago, Rob123 said:

They hide the ball or try to anyway on there running approach....more or less sneaky  . They are smaller than carthage but aggressive and physical for there size.Passing isn't

there cup of tea really from what i've seen.Who knows they may try something different in this round.

I am of similar opinion that they will have to do more than run the ball to beat us.  But if you have not seen them play don’t sleep on them.  They are undersized everywhere except the D line.  But they get after it every play.  We are going to have to platoon our D lineman because they are going to take a beating.  This week is all about assignment football.  We need each player to do his job and we will be fine.  Their offense is a numbers game and relies on misdirection and the element of surprise.  We should win many of the one on one battles.  We just have to wrap up on defense.  I believe we should have much success on offense.  We have many advantages there.

1 hour ago, DawgNation2015 said:

I am of similar opinion that they will have to do more than run the ball to beat us.  But if you have not seen them play don’t sleep on them.  They are undersized everywhere except the D line.  But they get after it every play.  We are going to have to platoon our D lineman because they are going to take a beating.  This week is all about assignment football.  We need each player to do his job and we will be fine.  Their offense is a numbers game and relies on misdirection and the element of surprise.  We should win many of the one on one battles.  We just have to wrap up on defense.  I believe we should have much success on offense.  We have many advantages there.

This is a very good assessment...LH was in the same position a few years ago against Gilmer.  Gilmer didn't do so well,  but you guys aren't Gilmer...I think LH wil surprise most Carthage fans just like MH did...but you guys will pull it out in the end. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I catch your drift.

Don’t discount LH just because all they do is run the football.  Everyone they have played this year knew they were going to run 99% of the time and still could not stop it.  Carthage will not stop it completely either.  It will take a very disciplined Dawg defense to slow it down.  But that is all we have to do is slow it down, force a couple punts, and maybe a turnover or two.  

LH will have a much taller task to prepare for all the formations & personnel Carthage has shown in 14 games and stop it IMO.  If they bring pressure like they did against LV it will be a high risk vs reward gamble.  Carthage throws the ball much better than LV and we recognize pressure, check down, and throw into it regularly.  I can see Dixon, Williams, Colle & Holcomb all with big catches for large chunks of yards.

To me the most significant game for Liberty Hill this year is their one loss to Hutto...a Division 5A school with quarterback Chase Griffin who is already committed to UCLA. Gunner Capps stats pale in comparison to Griffins and Liberty lost by 1 in OT...Hutto scored...Liberty Hill responds but goes for 2 for the win and doesn’t get it. Don’t underestimate the Panthers 

LIberty Hill opponents were 83-67 on the season in 13 games.  Only loss was to 5A Hutto (11-1) 52-51 in OT.  Notable wins for LH are Sealy (12-1) & La Vernia (12-2).  Carthage opponents were 92-77 on season with notable wins against 5A Marshall (10-3), Midlothian Heritage (11-2), Pleasant Grove (12-2 and still playing in 4A D2) & Henderson (9-5).  LH scores 55.8 ppg and allows 21.7.  Carthage scores 42.4 and allows 17.4.

7 minutes ago, Vikkidavis said:

To me the most significant game for Liberty Hill this year is their one loss to Hutto...a Division 5A school with quarterback Chase Griffin who is already committed to UCLA. Gunner Capps stats pale in comparison to Griffins and Liberty lost by 1 in OT...Hutto scored...Liberty Hill responds but goes for 2 for the win and doesn’t get it. Don’t underestimate the Panthers 

Griffin stats in 12 games

268/373 4,051 yards 51 TD’s & 5 INT

Griffin was 30/44 for 455 yards 7TD’s & 0 INT’s against Liberty Hill

Capps stats in 14 games 

239/397 3,266 yards 42 TD’s & 5 INT

6 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Capps stats in 14 games 

Longview News Journal has him at 239/387

9 minutes ago, DTrump said:

LH is all about taking time away from their opponent. Making that clock tick when their on offense. If they turn you over a couple of times that could spell trouble.

True.  But in the same discussion LH is not built to come from behind.  So if Carthage gets out in front LH will have their backs against the wall.  They have been fumble prone the last couple of games so a TO for them could be just as big.

15 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

True.  But in the same discussion LH is not built to come from behind.  So if Carthage gets out in front LH will have their backs against the wall.  They have been fumble prone the last couple of games so a TO for them could be just as big.

Why aren’t they built to come from behind...they were behind at the half against both Sealy and La Vernia and managed to come back overwhelmingly in the second half...

45 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Capps stats in 14 games 

Their stats this season according to MaxPreps. First is Capps. Second is Griffn. 

F3A61E00-835D-46A6-86F1-0FAF5118537A.jpeg

10468946-E938-4235-91BC-D457F5BC7F53.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Vikkidavis said:

Why aren’t they built to come from behind...they were behind at the half against both Sealy and La Vernia and managed to come back overwhelmingly in the second half...

Down one score in the 3rd quarter is not what I’m referring too.  Down 2 or more scores in the 4th quarter is a different scenario

39 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Maybe I missed a number.  Don’t think it matters for this discussion.  Griffin torched LH secondary.  Capps has the tools to do the same.

That is true but LH managed to stay in the game and only lose by 1...in overtime because they missed a 2 point conversion. 

• Mr. P changed the title to Carthage (14-0) vs. Liberty Hill (12-1), Class 4A (D-I) Semifinals