Carthage (14-0) vs. Liberty Hill (12-1), Class 4A (D-I) Semifinals

PantherNation2015

Carthage vs Liberty Hill  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Who Advances to the 4A Div I State Finals?

• Liberty Hill Panthers
    • Carthage Bulldogs

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/15/2018 at 01:30 AM

Pleasant Grove’s vaunted, ball-control Wing-T dominated time of possession, limiting Carthage to just nine offensive possessions for the game.

“We were very fortunate to win, and we realized that,” Surratt said. “We turned the ball over, and we missed a couple fourth downs. And you don’t get many possessions when you play somebody like Pleasant Grove.”

The Bulldogs scored on four of their possessions, and lost two fumbles, turned it over on downs twice, and missed a field goal on the others.

9 possessions is the lowest number I could see Carthage having. I don’t see how you could milk the clock more than PG did. 

58 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

You are under estimating LH.  Just because they don’t throw the ball and don’t have D1 athletes does not mean they can’t play with us.  They execute very well and don’t make many mistakes.  They block and tackle well.  They play with a lot of heart.  Both teams will score over 30.  If Carthage can get a couple of turnovers and don’t turn it over themselves we win by 10.  If not it will be very similar to to MH game.  Just prepare yourself for it.

Don’t make mistakes????  They turned it over four times in their first four possessions Saturday.  Sounds like the pressure is getting to them!!!

10 minutes ago, ALLSPORTFAN said:

Don’t make mistakes????  They turned it over four times in their first four possessions Saturday.  Sounds like the pressure is getting to them!!!

LOL I saw it.  Had fumbles in the Sealy game too.  Note that I said they don’t make “many mistakes”.

3 minutes ago, bansheefan03 said:

They do snap the ball fast but if you watch tape on them there are some ways to slow it down and keep them from doing that

The run each play in with a sub.  When they do Carthage can sub and slow it down.  Ref will stand over the ball to keep the center from snapping until Carthage sub gets on field and in position.

3 minutes ago, bansheefan03 said:

They do snap the ball fast but if you watch tape on them there are some ways to slow it down and keep them from doing that

They must be set for one full second before the snap to be legal. I know two guys on the Carthage sideline who will remind the refs before the game about that rule. And will be “politely” yelling at the refs if they see an infraction. 

• Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

They must be set for one full second before the snap to be legal. I know two guys on the Carthage sideline who will remind the refs before the game about that rule. And will be “politely” yelling at the refs if they see an infraction. 

Pretty sure LH knows the rule as well.

19 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

The run each play in with a sub.  When they do Carthage can sub and slow it down.  Ref will stand over the ball to keep the center from snapping until Carthage sub gets on field and in position.

They don’t care what the defense does. They will break the huddle with about 10 seconds left on the play clock, then sprint to the line and snap the ball. By the time they break the huddle, defensive subs are already on the field. The best way to stop it is with hard-nosed LBs that are physical, quick, disciplined, and read the play quickly. I’ve seen LBs that excel against spread teams get eaten alive by the slot-T. 

41 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

They don’t care what the defense does. They will break the huddle with about 10 seconds left on the play clock, then sprint to the line and snap the ball. By the time they break the huddle, defensive subs are already on the field. The best way to stop it is with hard-nosed LBs that are physical, quick, disciplined, and read the play quickly. I’ve seen LBs that excel against spread teams get eaten alive by the slot-T. 

Wish we could suit up 13 and 25 from last year just for this game, hahaha. They ate against Kennedale last year. And for a large portion of the game against LV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

I hope I’m wrong and you are right.  On paper it is a bad matchup for LH.  I’d say Hutto was too and look at how that game ended.

100% true regarding Hutto...no one...and I mean no one...expected it to be a game at all. My husband and I almost went to that game but opted out because we thought it would be a blow out. Went to nearly every other game but still bummed we missed that one 

31 minutes ago, Vikkidavis said:

100% true regarding Hutto...no one...and I mean no one...expected it to be a game at all. My husband and I almost went to that game but opted out because we thought it would be a blow out. Went to nearly every other game but still bummed we missed that one 

Is the full game on YouTube anywhere?  All I can find is the 7 TD highlights clip of the Hutto QB.

• Mr. P changed the title to Carthage (14-0) vs. Liberty Hill (12-1), Class 4A (D-I) Semifinals