Grandview (12-2) vs. Yoakum (12-2), Class 3A (D-I) Semifinals

Crawford

Grandview vs Yoakum  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who Advances to the 3A Div I State Finals?

• Grandview Zebras
    • Yoakum Bulldogs

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/15/2018 at 01:00 AM

Yoakum I understand is coming down from 4A and has playoff experience. Watched live stream Yoakum and Edna playoff and they destroyed Edna. Powerful running game for Yoakum and they have some grown men on that line with five or six 300 pounders. I don't think Grandview can stop them nor run on them. Only chance is to spread them out, wear them down and go Texas Tech on em with QB no.3. Honestly thought Grandview would be beat the last three playoff games but here they are.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

Grandview will carve their secondary up. Grandview defense thrives on run heavy teams 

Good luck on that, many good passing teams have tried and had little success.

Yoakums defense is well balanced, the Zebras will have to pass to have much success. Good luck.

7 minutes ago, Gpcat said:

Yoakums defense is well balanced, the Zebras will have to pass to have much success. Good luck.

If the Zebras have to pass to have some sort of success in this one, I think it’s a matchup they’re willing to take 10 times out of 10. 

Cuero even though they have a very potent running game has a good passing game as well. Lost to Yoakum

Goliad with Rocky Morris has a very good passing game. Dontavian Clay just might be in the top 10 recievers in the state.

George West who’s got ex Yoakum HC as their HC also has a good passing game.

all these teams have good passing games but they couple it with a good running game to balance out their offense. All lost to Yoakum. No doubt Grandview has a excellent passing game but Yoakums not going to let your QB sit and pick us apart. 

Guest Tiger03lb
7 hours ago, Gpcat said:

GV is pretty good at passing but what gets over looked is #3 the qb. The kid keeps plays alive even when they shouldn't be, he can beat you with his legs as well. That kid has a lot of heart and is a player. 

Guest Tiger03lb

I could see either team winning this game. GV has been finding ways to win games and haven't quit at all in them. Yoakum has beat 2 district rivals to get to this point, imo the hardest district in 3a d1. Yoakum sounds hungry while GV is playing with heart. I'm going with GV in this one. 24-18 type of game. 

GV has had one of the toughest schedules to get to this game. I think GV’s sloppy game fortunately  was against EC and I’m very glad that’s over. GV will be healthy and ready to go to work this Friday. Weather on Friday is looking good. Talked to GV players after EC game and these guys are humble but super focused.

10 hours ago, hornsandowls said:

Yoakum I understand is coming down from 4A and has playoff experience. Watched live stream Yoakum and Edna playoff and they destroyed Edna. Powerful running game for Yoakum and they have some grown men on that line with five or six 300 pounders. I don't think Grandview can stop them nor run on them. Only chance is to spread them out, wear them down and go Texas Tech on em with QB no.3. Honestly thought Grandview would be beat the last three playoff games but here they are.

Yoakum has been in 3 A for a few years

• Like 1

Battle tested yes but so is Yoakum, 2016 lost to Mineola at JerryWorld, 

2017 lost Semi game to Rockdale, who won the ship.

2018 back in the Semis against GV.

Yoakum lost 26 seniors, 9 defensive starters and 4 D1 recruits.

Many said this group said was in rebuilding mode, they were wrong.These Dawgs are battle tested and ready to finish what the last two teams didnt.

this is going to be one hard fought game.

Yoakum was extremely fortunate to win that game against Goliad.  Defeating Edna with their one dimensional running game was easier.  Goliad was able to gain yards at will on Yoakum's D in both the running and passing games, but gave up some easy scores early.  Goliad was marching for the winning TD past midfield with a big catch and run by Dontavion Clay when he was stripped of the football after he was stopped.  The refs called it a fumble, but I'm fairly certain he was already down and then the Yoakum defenders(3 of them) stripped the ball.....with 3 minutes left. If you look at the numbers Goliad had 435 total yds of offense compared to Yoakum's 335.  But Goliad also had 11 penalties for 80 yds vs Yoakum's 4 penalties for 30 yds. Goliad had 25 first downs and Yoakum only generated 14.  The final score was 38-35, but was not indicative of the way Goliad dominated this game on the field....esp. in the 2nd half.  I hope this information helps.  I'm taking Grandview to win this game.

• Mr. P changed the title to Grandview (12-2) vs. Yoakum (12-2), Class 3A (D-I) Semifinals