🏆 Cuero (14-1) vs. Pleasant Grove (13-2), Class 4A (D-II) STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

futfan

P G or Cuero   

101 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins the 4A Div II State Finals?

• Cuero Gobblers
    • Pleasant Grove Hawks

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/21/2018 at 05:00 PM

1 hour ago, futfan said:

While PG does get big plays, it is usually because teams have to load the box to try to stop the run.

Ask Carthage about how good they are at grinding out the clock with the pounding run game.

sorry, I don't agree with the big play assesment if you mean one-dimensional.

Wow! Me and futfan agree.

I keep hearing PG big plays in the passing game and yes they do have a bunch of those.  The thing I see is those big plays occur because of a lack of discipline on the back end of defenses. Yes most play PG to stop the run and the back end tends to try to play cover 1 or man.  This leaves the receivers running alone and wide open because of the lack of discipline on the back end to run with their responsibility.  Dealing with 16 & 17 year old corners and safeties is just not fun...LOL

Watch the game Friday and if the PG receivers are running by themselves then the Cuero back end has zero discipline just like IP had last week.  Cuero will be in a load of trouble if they peek in the backfield and not take care of their responsibility.   

Just my 2 cents.   Should be a fun game.   

16 hours ago, Anxiety said:

When has PG not brought it? Twice to y'all, and twice to us(Pitt). I'm a believer in the Hawks! Just making conversion.👌

You certainly have a valid point.  It seems they always "bring it" when they play big games, and it don't get no bigger than tomorrow's game.  Now I'm leaning toward PG after more thought.  I got to thinking about it.  PG was on the big stage last year and performed extremely well, and most of the players on this year's team were there.  Cuero might start a little on the nervous side on the big stage, and "if" that happens it will fall into what PG does best --- grab the lead and play keep away.  I don't think PG runs away with this one, though.  I think it won't be decided until late in the 4th.

It probably needs to be said that one of the texas 4a all-state teams just came out, and cuero players made all-state in 6 positions between 1st, 2nd, and hm teams.  two of the six mentions went to their RB/DB whose last name is grant.  3 of the players were linemen(!) and young mr. whittington rounded out the list making second team at db.  Pleasant grove had 3 players on the list (2 dbs, plus 1 lineman (landon jackson) who I don't think will play in the sc).  A majority of all-state players on one list does not a state championship team make, but they might.  I'm pulling for pg, but this will be a tough fight at best.  Btw, every stat I see tells me that pg has the best quarterback, possibly by far except for being a junior to chs' starter being a senior who apparently has patiently waited for his turn.  We'll see what difference if any young Mr. harmon makes.

It doesn't seem that any stage is too big for Ben Harmon.  He was the starter for last year's state champs, and performed above and beyond expectation.  On the other hand, the senior QB for Cuero hasn't been on this stage yet, so I think that nullifies his "experience" advantage.

• Like 1

Cameron and Ryan are going to have to ball out so is Sergio. Tyler is a great ball Hawk but his height is an issue with taller receivers. PG has been burned for biq pass plays. The Hawks are going to have to scheme to get pressure on the Cuero QB. Jimmerson had tons of time to throw the ball so did Gilmer's QB, The Hawks cannot give these kind of Athletes more than a few seconds to get open. I think Cameron will jump one of those bubble screens for a pick six that Cuero likes to throw. We cannot get caught with LBers on WR's or even speedy running  backs very long. I think the Hawks have to pin their wings back and bring it on this QB.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, blackflag79 said:

It doesn't seem that any stage is too big for Ben Harmon.  He was the starter for last year's state champs, and performed above and beyond expectation.  On the other hand, the senior QB for Cuero hasn't been on this stage yet, so I think that nullifies his "experience" advantage.

Good post, I agree. IMO we have a very good secondary and cover well. I don't think Cuero QB has played against a secondary as good as ours. I think he's going to throw some pics.

4 hours ago, OTamandua said:

It probably needs to be said that one of the texas 4a all-state teams just came out, and cuero players made all-state in 6 positions between 1st, 2nd, and hm teams.  two of the six mentions went to their RB/DB whose last name is grant.  3 of the players were linemen(!) and young mr. whittington rounded out the list making second team at db.  Pleasant grove had 3 players on the list (2 dbs, plus 1 lineman (landon jackson) who I don't think will play in the sc).  A majority of all-state players on one list does not a state championship team make, but they might.  I'm pulling for pg, but this will be a tough fight at best.  Btw, every stat I see tells me that pg has the best quarterback, possibly by far except for being a junior to chs' starter being a senior who apparently has patiently waited for his turn.  We'll see what difference if any young Mr. harmon makes.

Ignore the all-state team. Pleasant Grove's two best players Ben Harmon and Bruce Garrett didn't even get honorable mention.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hawknation03 said:

Cameron and Ryan are going to have to ball out so is Sergio. Tyler is a great ball Hawk but his height is an issue with taller receivers. PG has been burned for biq pass plays. The Hawks are going to have to scheme to get pressure on the Cuero QB. Jimmerson had tons of time to throw the ball so did Gilmer's QB, The Hawks cannot give these kind of Athletes more than a few seconds to get open. I think Cameron will jump one of those bubble screens for a pick six that Cuero likes to throw. We cannot get caught with LBers on WR's or even speedy running  backs very long. I think the Hawks have to pin their wings back and bring it on this QB.

Don't think the Cuero qb has much mobility. Now when they put Whittington into the Wildcat it could get real scary.

2 hours ago, Hawknation03 said:

Yup. +1 

All-State doesn't mean much...

Ben Harmon don't get shook.

Haven't posted in years, but I do read y'alls discussions off and on every year.  I especially enjoyed the WOS discussions last year.  

But the West Texas argument needs to stop as you're killing me, Smalls.   Eastland considers themselves  the "Gateway to West Texas," as I believe I've seen a sign.

I've lived in Texarkana since 1973, and before that as a little kid lived in Del Rio and was born in Coleman.  I've got family all over the state.

Never say 'western Texas' or 'eastern Texas' or someone will immediately know that you're not from Texas.  

Cuero is in South Texas.  NE of them is Yoakum, which is the region's limit.  

The fact that Texarkana is in NE Texas does not exclude it from being 'East Texas.'   A rule of thumb has always been that East Texas begins when you encounter pine trees.

(excluding the Lost Pines of Bastrop, of course.)  

ALSO, I agree with the poster who mentions the Shreveport news inundation.  A family member in Austin always tells me that East Texas might as well be part of Louisiana; funny, however I do like Louisiana because they don't whine about Texas' doings like Arkansas.  Louisiana has bad roads, but plays good high school football.  The 'big three' TV stations are 3, 6, and 12,  KTBS, KTAL and KSLA, respectively.   

map-of-west-texas.jpg

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, Nonothing said:

Holy smokes I was just messing with the newbies and this stopped several pages ago. lol:) Troll Powers +10 I win!!!

Dang, Nonothing, if I'd known you were joking I'd have told the truth.  Everything west of Mt Pleasant is West Texas even Sulphur Springs and Brownsville.  Pshhhh...

• Like 1

ALSO, was someone also joking when they stated that PG was a big-play team?  

I think it's difficult to properly label what the PG offense is...  Last year someone suggested a 'Souped-up Wing-T.'

They make the big pass plays, but they are brutal with ball control.   Hard to be both, but they are.  

WHO wants to prepare their defense for a PG offense- in one week?  It must truly be a nightmare.  

Leading up to the  state semi-finals, an Iowa Park LB stated that, "They (PG) are aggressive, but they're not anything we haven't seen before.  We played Brock in the second game."

I was curious as to whether this guy was just messing with people as well.  But I don't think he was.   No, they'd never seen anything like that... RIGHT NOW, I bet they hope they never see it again.   

Someone in here posted:  THE NIGHTMARE IS REAL.   

Very nice wording.   Once PG pulls this off, I'd love to see in on a shirt.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HonestTexan said:

ALSO, was someone also joking when they stated that PG was a big-play team?  

I think it's difficult to properly label what the PG offense is...  Last year someone suggested a 'Souped-up Wing-T.'

They make the big pass plays, but they are brutal with ball control.   Hard to be both, but they are.  

WHO wants to prepare their defense for a PG offense- in one week?  It must truly be a nightmare.  

Leading up to the  state semi-finals, an Iowa Park LB stated that, "They (PG) are aggressive, but they're not anything we haven't seen before.  We played Brock in the second game."

I was curious as to whether this guy was just messing with people as well.  But I don't think he was.   No, they'd never seen anything like that... RIGHT NOW, I bet they hope they never see it again.   

Someone in here posted:  THE NIGHTMARE IS REAL.   

Very nice wording.   Once PG pulls this off, I'd love to see in on a shirt.  

Yeah the big play team thing is a misconception. They don't have to rely on the big play, it is just what happens when you assume a team is run-only. Teams try to stop the run and when they commit, boom play action down the throat. I agree about the Wing-T thing. They do things out of the T that teams aren't supposed to do and amazingly disguise plays.

Man, I don't know if the guy from Iowa Park was joking or not but if they based their gameplan on watching any other "wing-t" team...well you saw what happened.

Preparing for PGs D? How? Trickery and strategery! The Qb is going the think they have one coverage and then the ball gets snapped and everything has changed. Last years D was amazing and this years D is almost there. They just have to do a little more...stuff...

This years schedule has battle hardened this team and forced them to grow up real quick. I was optimistic at the start of the year that they would make it again, but no confidant. I think they win it this year again and go on the three-peat next year...should be 4-peat but I digress. Good Luck Hawks!

I've been very impressed by our (PG) new DC this year. His schemes each week have always seemed to anticipate whatever the other team was going to try to run. The playoff game v Pitt was one of the toughest, with those slants over the middle to their playmakers piling up big yards. I'm sure the Cuero coaches have seen those tapes and would like to do the same with #3 against us. Put Kamren in his back pocket with Ryan or TK tagging along. PG's front three and backers should be able to control the line of scrimmage. I don't think Cuero has seen a D like PG will trot out. 

I anticipate a controlled run game on the offensive side with Bruce and James piling up yardage behind a line that has come into it's own in the second half of the season. With Ben being able to go up top to Jackson, Brett, Serg, et al., Cuero is going to have a tough time stopping PG.

Cuero's #3 will be sure to get his yards and touches, he's too good a talent not to. It's going to be fun to see him play before he heads to austin

PG 34 - Cuero 20

GO HAWKS!

• Like 1