🏆 Cuero (14-1) vs. Pleasant Grove (13-2), Class 4A (D-II) STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

futfan

P G or Cuero   

101 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins the 4A Div II State Finals?

• Cuero Gobblers
    • Pleasant Grove Hawks

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/21/2018 at 05:00 PM

I went to AT&T Stadium yesterday & watched history made. I watched a phenomenal performance by Jordan Whittington of the Cuero Gobblers... This kid was a ONE MAN Touchdown Machine! 

I will go ahead right now & say that he is the kind of player who has the Potential to one day soon to win the Heisman Trophy if he stays healthy! 👏🏈🏆

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CarthDawg77 said:

I went to AT&T Stadium yesterday & watched history made. I watched a phenomenal performance by Jordan Whittington of the Cuero Gobblers... This kid was a ONE MAN Touchdown Machine! 

I will go ahead right now & say that he is the kind of player who has the Potential to one day soon to win the Heisman Trophy if he stays healthy! 👏🏈🏆

I hope that happens for the young man's sake, and UT's.  Then it can also be said "it took a Heisman trophy winner to beat Pleasant Grove '18". :>)

That being said, back to Cuero's line for a moment.:

According to Maxpreps, the Cuero qb (who as expected was a good passer) had a grand total of -2 (again, negative two) career rushing yards coming into the game.  He was sacked, what, once, and even then not really as he completed a pass for 20 yards?  After reading how senior heavy CHS was, and how 3 of their linemen made all-state (two first-team, I believe) and how their linemen took pride in doing linemen competitions in Texas, I was worried this was going to be a long afternoon.  Again, I was pleasantly (no pun intended) shocked when PG led, however small, continuously all the way into the beginning of the fourth quarter.  Tremendous coaching, and still, tremendous talent.

(BTW, a few here on this thread have talked about the Shreveport television market.  I'm guessing (and correct me if I'm wrong) this may be one of the few times in recent years that counties from the "Loyal seven" (the Texas counties that have remained in the Shreveport/(Texarkana) TV market: Bowie, Cass, Harrison, Marion, Morris, Panola and Shelby) haven't had a state champion.  Given that the city of Longview has a section in Harrison County (albeit solely in the Hallsville ISD) I was wondering if LHS pulls out a win vs. Beaumont WB if that might sorta/kinda negate that, but seeing this article from earlier in the year makes me wonder how long Harrison County will stay in the SHV market.  Probably awhile, since they're right next door to Shreveport, but...: https://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/news/fcc-grants-harrison-county-petitions-for-tv-market-expansion/article_9c9bba58-691b-11e8-918a-1731f16518ad.html  )

18 hours ago, Hawknation03 said:

OK. Well, Let’s just say that Cuero had one of the best athletes I have ever seen in high school! 

Credit to the whole Cuero team but my gosh Jordan is such a special talent. I am more than proud of my Hawks! They certainly surprised a lot of people this year. 

Whats amazing to me is that PG knew that Whittington was going to just take the snap and go. There was nothing PG could do to stop it!

A really big congrats to Cuero! 

Yall really showed that y’all were the best team in 4A D2! 

As for the Hawks...... I am already excited for next year. I Love these boys and it has certainly been awesome watching them from PGYFA to high school!!

GO HAWKS!!

Very nice post........and I know every team has injuries, bumps and bruises, etc......but I would have liked to see these 2 teams playing at full strength - not happening, I know....... but would like to see the difference L J would have made on Cuero’s game plan and play calling. 

3 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

I agree with you and PG plays great defense but Whittington made everyone else look like they were in slow motion. I think he is just as good or better that Keontay Ingraham and that is a huge compliment.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dean1345 said:

I agree with you and PG plays great defense but Whittington made everyone else look like they were in slow motion. I think he is just as good or better that Keontay Ingraham and that is a huge compliment.

Texas is going to have a very explosive backfield next year with the addition of Whittington & Ingram!🤘😜

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

Congratulations Cuero.  Happy to see you get another title.

PG, class act all the way.  Hope to see you there again.  If you can hold on to the coach, I'm sure it wont' be long.

The PG coach could name his job he is that good.  I could see him winning state titles at the 6a level. Rockwell Heath should go after him.

This game was lost in the second quarter when the PG starting cornerback was injured and his backup got beaten two times in a row.  The first time was ruled, correctly, a no catch.  On the second catch, too much of a cushion was given to Whittington.  He is all Cuero had and he and the running back from Aledo are the two best players that I have seen This season.  Cuero had nothing else but Whittington but he is all that they needed.  The third quarter was a draw and the PG defensive line wore down gradually.  Cuero ran away from the big PG defensive end all the second half.  I would have been nice to have had Jackson but everybody is beaten up this time of year.  The difference between this years PG team and last seasons team is the depth that last seasons edition had as far as the quality and numbers on the line.  Last year those linemen played both sides of the ball but when you can go 10 deep at 6'3" and 285 pounds it makes a difference.  I personally am anxious to see how it all will work out at PG over the offseason at the Grove heading in to this coming August.

• Like 1
  • Stinks 3

1 hour ago, cotton84 said:

Very nice post........and I know every team has injuries, bumps and bruises, etc......but I would have liked to see these 2 teams playing at full strength - not happening, I know....... but would like to see the difference L J would have made on Cuero’s game plan and play calling. 

No doubt LJ would have made an impact. He is rehabbing well and will be 100% next season only stronger and faster. PG will be tough to beat next year. 

Looking forward to much PG success next season as well as all of the other schools in the city.  There is a ton of talent here in T-Town, unfortunately it is all spread out.  On the flip side, there is a lot of opportunity for more young men.  Gibson is the best HC/AD and I hope that PG can retain him.

44 minutes ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

This game was lost in the second quarter when the PG starting cornerback was injured and his backup got beaten two times in a row.  The first time was ruled, correctly, a no catch.  On the second catch, too much of a cushion was given to Whittington.  He is all Cuero had and he and the running back from Aledo are the two best players that I have seen This season.  Cuero had nothing else but Whittington but he is all that they needed.  The third quarter was a draw and the PG defensive line wore down gradually.  Cuero ran away from the big PG defensive end all the second half.  I would have been nice to have had Jackson but everybody is beaten up this time of year.  The difference between this years PG team and last seasons team is the depth that last seasons edition had as far as the quality and numbers on the line.  Last year those linemen played both sides of the ball but when you can go 10 deep at 6'3" and 285 pounds it makes a difference.  I personally am anxious to see how it all will work out at PG over the offseason at the Grove heading in to this coming August.

Come on, he wasn't all Cuero had.  I don't recall numbers, but they had three or four other guys making plays for them regularly and they played good team football. Yes, Whittington was phenomenal, but Cuero was good across the board.  Don't sell them short as a team.  I watched four games in person and both PG and Cuero handled themselves as good as or better than any of the 8 teams.

• Thanks 1
  • Stinks 1

On 12/21/2018 at 2:12 PM, jubilant said:

Junk post. Cuero dominated the 2nd half. Offense and defense

Whittington dominated. On defense as well. Cuero was the better team. We were down our best defensive player for the entire post season, and still made it to the final. My opinion is that without #3, Cuero would have been hard pressed to do so. 

On 12/16/2018 at 3:43 PM, futfan said:

Cuero has that outstanding individual I se in the wildcat, but PG will probably neutralize him by controlling the clock. 

No secret Hawks are masters at eating up the clock and keeping other teams off the field. Try too hard to stop the run, and Harmon gets you with one of his long TD strikes. 

Gonna be hard for one man to beat PG. Pittsburg gave it a good shot. 

How about this prediction?

5 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

Texas is going to have a very explosive backfield next year with the addition of Whittington & Ingram!🤘😜

Whittington will probably be moved to running back, but he's been a receiver the last three years, running from the wildcat occasionally until the PG game.

On 12/21/2018 at 11:56 PM, 68Hornet said:

The thing that surprised me most was the way Cuero's o-line dominated. Whittington is incredible, but he also had some incredible blocking. Cuero was the first team this year to control clock and dominate Hawks in the second half. PG fans have to be excited with another special season, and with most of the kids coming back, including Bruce Garrett and Ben Harmon and about 15 other starters, I look for the Hawks to be back in the finals again. Cuero's defensive line was equally dominating in the second half. Garrett had 191 yards in the first half, but only 17 in the final two quarters.

Exactly right.   Cuero O line was really good.    Those who don’t understand the game thinks that Cuero was a 1 man show.   Yes he is great but man their O line is GOOD.   Their D was pretty dang good too.   

• Like 1
  • Stinks 1