🏆 Cuero (14-1) vs. Pleasant Grove (13-2), Class 4A (D-II) STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

futfan

P G or Cuero   

101 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins the 4A Div II State Finals?

• Cuero Gobblers
    • Pleasant Grove Hawks

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/21/2018 at 05:00 PM

On 12/15/2018 at 9:50 AM, OLEMAN said:

PG has to keep there head on straight and do what they do. West Texas teams are really well coached and will lay wood. IMO PG plays like a West Texas team and is well coached  and will lay wood too.  I think this will be a barn burner with Pg taking it by two scores.  Currie looks tough on film

Cuero isn’t in West Texas.

9 hours ago, RAM said:

We have the Gobblers and the Hawks. This will be a close game and 1 thing for sure Feathers will be flying around.

Gobblers will stack the Line against PG and this could cause a BIG Problem.

PG will have to pass to win this one.

No runaways for either team. FIELD GOAL wins it for PG.

Good Luck to both and NO INJURIES to any players.

A big problem for the Gobblers! If Cuero thinks it will be that easy, they are in for a rude awakening! PG can do it all, and I mean all. I got news for ya, PG can pass!! Best bet is to stay in a balanced defensive formation and attempt to defend both. PG will come at you so fast, hard, and heavy, it will make your head spin. Oh, and they took care of the ball last week as well. Their coaching is top notch. I don't see Cuero stoping PG. The Hawks are sound on defense as well. Pittsburg knew PG because we were in their district. Pittsburg had really improved from the first meeting. Pitt was loaded with athletes. Is Cuero loaded with athletes? They will need to be in top notch shape. Not just week 16 shape! This will be very important! PG can do both, so they can defend both. If PG takes care of the ball, they win by at least 21. Sorry

9 hours ago, Nonothing said:

If the gobblers stack the line, it will be a big problem because the Hawks can throw! Wing-T Slot-T whatever you want to call it, may be a run-first offense but not a run only offense. That's the mistake many teams have made.  It should be called the Hawk-T because you've never seen anything like it before. You may think you have, but that is where the trickery and strategery get ya.

30 TDs and almost 2000 passing yards.

26 TDS and 3000 rushing yards between two RBs.

So, Cuero is going to have to stack the line, get pressure, and blanket cover at the same time...good luck.

That's hilarious! You said it better than me. I wrote my post before I read any. Then I saw yours. That's spot on! 

• Like 1

Several national sources say Cuero's Jordan Whittington is the best high school athlete in the nation for 2019. He plays four positions on offense and has 14 career interceptions at free safety and several kick returns for TDs. He's not their only great player either. Two backs with nearly 3,000 yards and 53 TDs. Outstanding quarterback and three dominant defensive players. So-called experts say Pleasant Grove has advantage in both lines, but we're talking about a lot of young kids there playing for a state title. On paper I think Cuero is a clear favorite, but I would never bet against the Hawks and their coaching staff.

41 minutes ago, 68Hornet said:

Several national sources say Cuero's Jordan Whittington is the best high school football player in the nation for 2019. He plays four positions on offense and has 12 career interceptions at free safety and several kick returns for TDs. He's not their only great player either. Two backs with nearly 3,000 yards and 53 TDs. Outstanding quarterback and three dominant defensive players. So-called experts say Pleasant Grove has advantage in both lines, but we're talking about a lot of young kids there playing for a state title. On paper I think Cuero is a clear favorite, but I would never bet against the Hawks and their coaching staff.

According the Maxpreps, the Cuero quarterback hasn't run for a touchdown in his career, and has just over 1/3 (27 career TDs) of the touchdowns running/passing that young Mr. Harmon has accounted for by his junior season.  The Cuero qb (who is a senior) also hadn't thrown that many INTs this season, but apparently had 2 (and 69 yards total passing) this past weekend at Katy.  Watch him do a Rogan Wells and go off for 7 tds one way or another this Friday in the big game...I'm honestly expecting that possibility.

That being said, the football experts at Dave Campbell and elsewhere are split in their predictions.  I'm not buying a word of it.  CHS was ranked #2 at season's beginning and I do think they should be a favorite.  I, too, am glad the PGHS coaching staff is in place, and believe that PGHS will not fold.  I only hope the latter can get out front and keep there all the way to 00:00.

Cuero has no choice but to stack the line when they are on defense.  That fact is also dictated by the base offensive formation that PG uses.  As always, the play in the trenches will primarily dictate this games results.  PG has the ability strike quickly or grind it out.  They have played, comparatively speaking, outside of Liberty Eylau, one of the toughest schedules in the state against some very, very good athletes with tons of size, speed, and quickness.  They are always well prepared and play as one unit on both sides of the ball.  They will not be beaten by any team that thinks they can win by playing a half of a game.  I have seen their relentlessness wear opponents down eventually.  PG is not unbeatable but they should be undefeated this season.  As long as the young players can stay in the moment they will be fine.  The Hawks are less predictable offensively this season as compared to last season but that may be a way that the coach has used to, believe it or not, take some pressure off of his less experienced players.  Cuero had better play for the blowout early, 14 point is not enough of a cushion, or they will definitely be in for a long late morning and early afternoon.  Cuero had better bring a sack lunch an a Tootsie Roll Pop because it is going to be a long afternoon sucker!  As for me, I will be having a colonoscopy aboard the Muthaship while watching the game as I leave droppings over Carthage and Marshall.  Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, over and out!!!  Beam me up Scottie!!!

1 hour ago, farmboy63 said:

Any radio station's broadcasting this game?  Are the announcers any good? 

Maybe espn Texarkana. You can google that and there is a little radio at the bottom of the page. They will probably broadcast. The two guys are definitely homers as expected, but they do a very good job at calling the game.

The best indication of how good PG can play is the LE game and the Pittsburg rematch game. PG overcame a 21 point deficit to beat LE and a 14 point deficit to beat Pitt. Those are both very good football teams. To overcome and beat those 2 teams really shows what PG is Capable of. Cuero was up by 2 touchdowns on Silsbee and Silsbee overcame that deficit to take the lead on Cuero. While I agree that Silsbee was pretty good this year, Cuero has still not seen a team on the level with PG. Kind of like the whole season for PG has gone------If they don't turn the ball over they win------ I certainly respect Cuero and I am more than surprised at what my Hawks have been able to do this year given the loss of 12 senior starters from last year. These Hawks are already winners for proving a lot of people (including myself) wrong! No reason to believe they cant cap it off Friday! GO HAWKS!

• Like 1

On December 16, 2018 at 8:47 PM, powerlifter said:

PG is a big play  team take that away you got a chance they  score lots of points 1st &2 nd qt 

While PG does get big plays, it is usually because teams have to load the box to try to stop the run.

Ask Carthage about how good they are at grinding out the clock with the pounding run game.

sorry, I don't agree with the big play assesment if you mean one-dimensional.

• Like 3

I looked at some Cuero highlights on Maxprepp and they have some good looking athletes with very good speed.  They look a lot like Liberty Eylau.  They will attack PG the way Carthage did by passing down the middle of the field.  On the flip side, they are suspect to all that PG is good at, they can be beaten.  I still do not believe that they have played the caliber of teams nor the number of good teams that PG has played.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Unbiased1 said:

Maybe espn Texarkana. You can google that and there is a little radio at the bottom of the page. They will probably broadcast. The two guys are definitely homers as expected, but they do a very good job at calling the game.

I think it be on tv, cable on 38 FssWD, it shows I would be able to pick it up.it shows the advertising of the games.

On 12/17/2018 at 11:44 AM, blackflag79 said:

This should be a good game.  I have no idea who will win this game.  I think Cuero is one of those teams that "can" cause some problems defensively for PG.  I think Cuero's offense is similar to Gilmer's offense when it was running like a fine-tuned machine a few years ago.  The difference could be Cuero's defense.  I'm not sure how good their defense is.  I'm pretty sure both teams will score some points.  It'll come down to special teams, turnovers, and key stops defensively.

As much as I hate to say it, I'm leaning toward Cuero by a little at this point.  I could be wrong, but PG better bring it in this one.

When has PG not brought it? Twice to y'all, and twice to us(Pitt). I'm a believer in the Hawks! Just making conversion.👌

• Like 1