🏆 Canadian (14-1) vs. Newton (14-0), Class 3A (D-II) STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

BoyzNdaHood

Wildcats vs Eagles  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins the 3A Div II State Finals?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/20/2018 at 09:00 PM

Just now, Eagles97 said:

I think your right to a degree but a athlete of this caliber and a legit receiver on the field would have made all the difference in the world.  He would have made those dropped passes that the other receivers dropped and it would have pulled that d back to respect the pass and opened up the run game more. Not to mention the confidence of Josh. Plus the emotional toll this has taken on the kids and the weight that was on there shoulders.   I do not any any way believe these teams are better than Silsbee or Wos.  But at the end of the day Newton is back to back champions and people need to quit taking this away from the kids by over analyzing these past two games.  

Agree with this 100%

6 hours ago, BunzT said:

Great game to watch but as mentioned I think it showed more how weak 3A has become than how good either of the teams were.  The kids that signed with D1 schools will find how big a gap there is between this level and the 5A/6A kids they compete for a position . So many From DF and elsewhere have found it out.  Nonetheless our state playoffs are the greatest show on earth .

This is nonsense.  There is not a gigantic gap between an individual athlete between classifications.  There is just a gap between the quality of the entire teams, and even that gap is not as large as you seem to think.  Kids that go to 6A schools are not inherently better athletes than kids that go to smaller schools.  We are still talking about teenage kids here.  They are all on the same level.  There are just a lot more for a program to choose from at those larger schools, so the teams tend to be better simply because there is a larger pool of players to choose from.  There are players worthy of competing at the college level in every classification; there are simply more of them coming from the larger schools.  They aren't necessarily better; just higher in quantity.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 514 said:

Can someone explain the Refs call on the missed field goal in the 4th. The center never got touched. Not even close to getting touched. That call changed momentum and almost change the outcome of the game.

I didn't see it. Got any video?

Where most fans get confused by the rule is that you can only leap through a gap. If you go directly over a player, it is a leaping penalty whether you touch them or not.

"No defensive player, in an attempt to gain an advantage, may step, jump or stand on an opponent.

It is a foul if a defensive player moves forward and tries to block a field goal or try by leaving his feet and leaping into the plane directly above the frame of the body of an opponent.

It is not a foul if the player was aligned in a stationary position within one yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped.

It is a foul if a defensive player who is inside the tackle box tries to block a punt by leaving his feet and leaping into the plane directly above the frame of the body of an opponent.

It is not a foul if the player tries to block the punt by jumping straight up without attempting to leap over the opponent.

It is not a foul if a player leaps through or over the gap between players.

No defensive player, in an attempt to block, bat or catch a kick, may: 1. Step, jump or stand on a teammate. 2. Place a hand(s) on a teammate to get leverage for additional height. 3. Be picked up by a teammate, or be elevated, propelled or pushed."

22 minutes ago, 514 said:

Can someone explain the Refs call on the missed field goal in the 4th. The center never got touched. Not even close to getting touched. That call changed momentum and almost change the outcome of the game.

I'm not sure what they saw.  I was there and didn't see, but just assumed he climbed up the center to leverage and get height - which is certainly a penalty.  When I watched the game back, they called the penalty on a guy who was nowhere near the line.  He just jumped up.  I then looked up "leaping" and this is a penalty if a player who is more than one yard behind the line of scrimmage jumps to block a field goal and lands on another player.  Basically, it's illegal to get a running start and jump over the line to block the kick.  He didn't come anywhere close to doing that either, so I have no idea what the officials saw.  Either they called the wrong number (but I didn't see anyone doing what would qualify as "leaping"), or they just got it wrong.

There were several plays that almost changed the outcome of the game.  Canadian missed a scoop and score opportunity, they missed two field goals, and they missed a two-point conversion.  Give Newton credit for the two-point conversion, but Canadian probably wins that game if they get the scoop and score.  They also probably win if they hit those two field goals.  Even if they only hit one of them, it changes the entire complexion of that last drive.  Canadian would only need a field goal to win, and that could have changed the outcome.  It was a great football game, and in those kinds of games, there are always going to be a handful or more plays that could have changed the outcome - officiating included.  Overall, I think the officiating was pretty good.  That was certainly a timely one though.  Newton still got it done in the end.

You can also look at the dropped passes by Newton and the receiver that wasn’t forced out but was called a force out and a legal moved that got a critical first down and the (officials time out) that no one knows why that basically gave Canadian extra life on the last drive. Then you got a big margin Newton win....  Refs were obviously doing all they could to help but at the end of the day Even tho they played ugly they still got the trophy 🏆

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eagles97 said:

You can also look at the dropped passes by Newton and the receiver that wasn’t forced out but was called a force out and a legal moved that got a critical first down and the (officials time out) that no one knows why that basically gave Canadian extra life on the last drive. Then you got a big margin Newton win....  Refs were obviously doing all they could to help but at the end of the day Even tho they played ugly they still got the trophy 🏆

Exactly 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Eagles97 said:

I thought the officials made the right call on that one.  Surely, you don't ACTUALLY believe that the officials conspired to keep the game close.  If that were actually the case, then they just wouldn't have stopped play for 5 minutes to review the play.  They just would have let play continue and moved along.  You played a close game, and you won the state championship.  The game Canadian played merited it being a close game, and the game Newton played merited a win.  It was a tight, nail-biter of a game no matter how you rationalize it.  I don't understand why that isn't good enough.  You want to rationalize a way that you can say it could have been worse.  Why?  There isn't anyone left to intimidate or anything else to prove.  Newton is back-to-back state champions, and that in itself is really hard to do, but you feel like it wasn't good enough just to do that; you have to say it could have been worse.  And I would wholly disagree with you on that.

Watching that game, there was a much bigger possibility that Newton loses that game, than Newton getting a "big margin" win.  Newton was shut down nearly completely.  Newton had 160 yards of offense in the first quarter, and got 93 yards of total offense the rest of the way.  You guys were absolutely shut down.  The takeaway for me here is that despite being completely shut down, Newton still found a way to win that game, and that's what great teams do.  Congratulations on the win, but "it could have been worse"?  Worse for Newton maybe.    

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pax said:

I thought the officials made the right call on that one.  Surely, you don't ACTUALLY believe that the officials conspired to keep the game close.  If that were actually the case, then they just wouldn't have stopped play for 5 minutes to review the play.  They just would have let play continue and moved along.  You played a close game, and you won the state championship.  The game Canadian played merited it being a close game, and the game Newton played merited a win.  It was a tight, nail-biter of a game no matter how you rationalize it.  I don't understand why that isn't good enough.  You want to rationalize a way that you can say it could have been worse.  Why?  There isn't anyone left to intimidate or anything else to prove.  Newton is back-to-back state champions, and that in itself is really hard to do, but you feel like it wasn't good enough just to do that; you have to say it could have been worse.  And I would wholly disagree with you on that.

Watching that game, there was a much bigger possibility that Newton loses that game, than Newton getting a "big margin" win.  Newton was shut down nearly completely.  Newton had 160 yards of offense in the first quarter, and got 93 yards of total offense the rest of the way.  You guys were absolutely shut down.  The takeaway for me here is that despite being completely shut down, Newton still found a way to win that game, and that's what great teams do.  Congratulations on the win, but "it could have been worse"?  Worse for Newton maybe.    

Not here to argue pax I appreciate and always love your input and respect your thoughts.   

Just the leap call alone is proof.  That was a stretch of a call to give Canadian life and everyone know it.  

• Like 3

Just now, Eagles97 said:

Not here to argue pax I appreciate and always love your input and respect your thoughts.   

Just the leap call alone is proof.  That was a stretch of a call to give Canadian life and everyone know it.  

I appreciate it.  I'd agree that from what I saw, that leaping call was entirely wrong.  I didn't see anything wrong with anything anyone did.  However, I would not say it is proof that the officials conspired to keep the game close.  It is proof that officials make mistakes.  Literally in every single game....at every level.  Good teams overcome bad calls, and that is precisely what Newton did.  That call would only cost a lesser team the game.  In other words, if a bad call cost you the game, then you don't deserve to be in that game.  Newton clearly does deserve to be in that game, and they did what is expected of a championship team : they didn't let a bad call cost them the game.

7 minutes ago, Pax said:

I appreciate it.  I'd agree that from what I saw, that leaping call was entirely wrong.  I didn't see anything wrong with anything anyone did.  However, I would not say it is proof that the officials conspired to keep the game close.  It is proof that officials make mistakes.  Literally in every single game....at every level.  Good teams overcome bad calls, and that is precisely what Newton did.  That call would only cost a lesser team the game.  In other words, if a bad call cost you the game, then you don't deserve to be in that game.  Newton clearly does deserve to be in that game, and they did what is expected of a championship team : they didn't let a bad call cost them the game.

Thanks Pax your absolutely right.    Hope to hear from you next year!  

21 minutes ago, Pax said:

Pax I usually give it to you but you have to remember that the replay call comes from replay official. He saw something and wanted to give it another look. I'm not saying it was a bad call on purpose but they did have quite a few questionable calls going on. 

Edit: sorry pax just saw you responded to a similar comment. 

I was thinking Newton may put Williams in at QB starting 2nd half and use Foster @ receiving to loosen up the run. Foster can catch. No doubt Brown not playing had an impact.  Was EB good ? Yes. Was Canadian good ? Yes. Was Newton better. Hell Yes.. Congratulations Eagles !!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pax said:

This is nonsense.  There is not a gigantic gap between an individual athlete between classifications.  There is just a gap between the quality of the entire teams, and even that gap is not as large as you seem to think.  Kids that go to 6A schools are not inherently better athletes than kids that go to smaller schools.  We are still talking about teenage kids here.  They are all on the same level.  There are just a lot more for a program to choose from at those larger schools, so the teams tend to be better simply because there is a larger pool of players to choose from.  There are players worthy of competing at the college level in every classification; there are simply more of them coming from the larger schools.  They aren't necessarily better; just higher in quantity.   

Exactly 

42 minutes ago, Pax said:

A bad call, just one, can cause a team to lose a game. When teams are very closely matched one penalty can be the difference in a game. Happens from time to time. 

After all the piehole flapping , negative comments and armchair coaching comments are done , Newton is still 30 and 0 undefeated in two seasons and will be adding another trophy to the case. Coach WT and his staff have done an tremendous job these last two seasons with these kids. “RESPECT”

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AmphibiousRodent said:

A bad call, just one, can cause a team to lose a game. When teams are very closely matched one penalty can be the difference in a game. Happens from time to time. 

That's fair.  I'd argue that in a game between two evenly matched teams with 150 football plays being run, there were FAR more opportunities for either team in making plays to win that game than there were bad calls to lose it.  

6 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Man what?? They played district games without him so that excuse is out the window. Chalk it up to the competition being tougher as the latter part of the playoffs went on: and they STILL won state. 

I was not offering excuses on the game, merely speculating on why they weren’t as dominant.  And I said Browns physical absence only hurt some.  I think the Team emotions may have been a factor.  EB had lost to two 3A teams.  Canadian had to come from behind to beat a District opponent, Childress, by 1 point.  Childress only went 2 games deep, getting donkey stomped by Abernathy.  Neither EB or Canadian played an opponent the caliber of Silsbee, WOS, or Dangerfield.  My opinion of why may be wrong, but there was something bothering the Eagles.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hagar said:

I was not offering excuses on the game, merely speculating on why they weren’t as dominant.  And I said Browns physical absence only hurt some.  I think the Team emotions may have been a factor.  EB had lost to two 3A teams.  Canadian had to come from behind to beat a District opponent, Childress, by 1 point.  Childress only went 2 games deep, getting donkey stomped by Abernathy.  Neither EB or Canadian played an opponent the caliber of Silsbee, WOS, or Dangerfield.  My opinion of why may be wrong, but there was something bothering the Eagles.

Good post