🐺 LONGVIEW LOBOS: CLASS 6A (D-II) STATE CHAMPIONS! 🏆 UNDEFEATED: 16-0!

LoboFan07

11 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

He is. And it made me sad to hear him talk about retiring once Haynes moves on, but I understand it. He's done everything he can do in his coaching career. 

Wonder who would replace him, would the program be the same? Kids love playing for him

No way he retires after his son graduates, he is a great coach and he will retire when he knows it is time. Now if he goes back to back, he might consider it. 

Nearly 50 thousand fans in the stands playing in front of 200 hundred thousand TV viewers could happen again in 2019, now that would be a great way to retire. 

I will be pulling for the Lobos to do it again. 

Lets Go Lobos!!🏆🏆

God Bless coaches, players, and fans. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WolverBean said:

would the program be the same?

Our program will continue just as it always has.

We've had four coaches in over 50 years. 

Will we have the consistency we've had with these long runs the last 15 years? Who knows. But we will continue to be Longview no matter who the head coach is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

He is. And it made me sad to hear him talk about retiring once Haynes moves on, but I understand it. He's done everything he can do in his coaching career. 

Same, but he's earned it. I can think of nothing better for him than being able to relax and enjoy his son's collegiate football career as well as his daughter's gymnastics career. 

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

Our program will continue just as it always has...  we will continue to be Longview no matter who the head coach is.

The admin will know they are replacing a legend. It will be an intense process, no doubt. You don't "replace" a John King. I'm certain they will pull out all the stops to make the right hire. 

But like we say on here: Longview is gonna Longview. The deep, deep well of talent in this community ain't going anywhere. Lobos gonna Lobo.

Spend a Saturday at Womack Field. Right now there's a handful of grade-schoolers who are chomping at the bit to wear the green and gold. Right now I've got a 1st grader whose height is in the 95th percentile, that I'm grooming to be a tight end/defensive end. The tradition and heritage of Lobo football will continue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

We've had four coaches in over 50 years. 

That's...  insane

State titles are awesome, no doubt, but I gotta say, this is a pretty big deal right here. 

Four coaches in 50+ years while playing at the top level of high school football. That is crazy. 

Is there another 6A/5A program that has this kind of continuity?

14 hours ago, WolverBean said:

would the program be the same? 

I'm not sold on him retiring just yet but won't be surprised if he does because it'll be a little hard to coach and support HK on Saturday's at the same time.

Now, in the event that he does retire...would the program be the same?

I'll tell you this....the talent will remain. Winning is embedded in the program. Now, will we see the consistency that we've seen under King since he took over in 2004....that depends entirely on who we hire....which IMO, shouldn't be anyone outside of the program unless it's a huge, and I mean huge name.

DC Pierce, OC Vallery and HC Berry from Gladewater would get 1st dibs I bet. They've all learned alot from King over the years and know the Lobo program like the back of their hands.

It's one of the top paying jobs in Texas, so the vacancy would attract plenty of attention for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Man I didn't mean to start a conversation on Coach King's replacement! He may coach for a while after Haynes is gone.... But he mentioned it was an option, which made me worry.

But yes Longview is an extremely winning program. Always had been. Coach King took that to the next level with long runs every year (save a few) and a state title. We are very lucky/spoiled to have such a program. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

Well I believe coach king has set the bar high for whoever follows him after he steps down. I know Longview should have had a couple of more state championships but what he has done throughout the regular season is nothing to laugh at. 

Playoffs too. We've lost a lot we should've won... But we've won quite a few we should've lost.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Man I didn't mean to start a conversation on Coach King's replacement! He may coach for a while after Haynes is gone.... But he mentioned it was an option, which made me worry.

Yep, I concur. As far as I'm concerned, he can coach the Lobos as long as he wants. But if he wants to step down when Haynes graduates, I won't blame him one bit. I can't imagine any true Lobo supporter would either. The man has poured every bit of himself into this program, as has his family. 

1 hour ago, AKA said:

Same, but he's earned it. I can think of nothing better for him than being able to relax and enjoy his son's collegiate football career as well as his daughter's gymnastics career. 

Yeah. I spoke with him a few times since the game and it feels like a huge weight has been lifted off his shoulders. Like HUGE weight. If he won state next year and retired that'd be kinda the perfect ending.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

I don’t think he retires....I think he takes an opportunity and goes like J.Traylor and  goes to make some reaL money for a while

That would be awesome. I would love that for him.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kingwolf said:

I don’t think he retires....I think he takes an opportunity and goes like J.Traylor and  goes to make some reaL money for a while

Longview will for sure be his last coaching job. He'll tell you himself that he doesn't want to coach anywhere but in Longview, TX. He's had chances to go next level but being a Lobo is in his heart.

• Like 2

Any chance he would just transition to full time AD (He is the AD as well right?). I really couldn't imagine him leaving Longview, but I could imagine him transitioning out of the stress (you know that man got the high blood pressure) of being a Head coach. Just a general thought. 

On 1/10/2019 at 1:34 PM, JohnnyFootball said:

Also we have to consider what offense we ran when discussing great QBs. Joel Armstrong was a wizard running the option but he didn't throw much. Aaron Johnson ran the spread very well, but it was predominantly a running attack. Bivins was around the time that we got Coach Vallery from Kilgore and I think we slowly transitioned to a pro-style offense til the present.  

good point.. Just watching football over the past 20 yrs, I bet every passing record (and probably most offensive records) at most high schools have been set recently. Just because of the style of offenses lately along with the tempo. 

We watched the game live and have watched what we recorded several times.  Our recording stops with just over 2 minutes left.  I did find a youtube video of the last few minutes.  I know it was just Hanes taking a knee, but it was great to watch again

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Mr. P changed the title to 🐺 LONGVIEW LOBOS: CLASS 6A (D-II) STATE CHAMPIONS! 🏆 UNDEFEATED: 16-0!