Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

2018 finished with a bang and Ehlinger claiming Texas was back! 

Some season nuggets:

10 wins is the most since 2009

5 of those wins came vs AP ranked teams (most in a single season) 

Texas was 1 of only 2 teams with 2 wins vs top 5 opponents. (Alabama)

2019 will officially begin in my opinion with NSD2 but Texas has 3 underclassmen with decisions to make: Brandon Jones, Colin Johnson, and Lil Jordan Humphrey. 

Texas will have to replace at least 8 defensive starters and at least 5 offensive starters in the offseason. 

DC Todd Orlando will have his name in the discussion for at least the Temple head coaching job. Texas may make a few coaching changes as well (rumors only as of now). 

The dreaded offseason is here but this should be more fun than others. 

I've said it a couple of times but the 2020 class may be top 3 with high end talent like the 2018 class.  Every recruit tuned in last night and have been talking about it on twitter/social media.  

I think Texas will land more of the high end in-state guys this go around and continue to add elite out of state talent.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Lil Jordan is NFL ready  - hope he stays another year at Texas but don't blame him if he leaves...……………..If we can tackle in space with our linebackers and defensive ends(mobile QBs) then it should be another 10+ win season.

During the LHN pregame they had Mel Kiper Jr on and he gave both CJ and LJH 3-4th round grades, as the 8th and 9th best WRs. He said he’d recommend they both go back to school and work on speed and quickness to take their games to the next level and be considered 1st round draft picks in the next draft. 

I think CJ and Jones stay and LJH leaves but I hope they all come back for selfish reasons. 

57 minutes ago, Bclove05 said:

I feel like Texas should start out ranked around 10.

This is how it will probably be:

1. Bama

2. Clemson

3. Ohio State

4. Georgia

5. Oklahoma

6. Texas

7. LSU

8. Michigan

9. Oregon

10. Florida 

27 minutes ago, thegreatbambino said:

Texas loses a lot on D, but they had a ton of young guys play this year. Corner and LB is where I think Texas will see the biggest drop off. 

I'm anxious to see who will step up at linebacker.  Hopefully the juco guy coming in later this month can make an impact.

Cook and Green should be the corners, will probably have a few growing pains, but they'll be studs eventually IMO.

I think DL can be a real good unit next year.  Omenihue will be missed.  Hager not so much.  Coburn, Ojomo, and Ossai all played several series last night.  All 3 of these guys having an offseason will be huge.  DL should have lots of bodies to keep fresh:  Roach, Wilbon, Bimage, Chisolm, Ossai, Ojomo, Coburn, and the juco guy coming in a few weeks.

Safety play should be elite.

And let's keep Herb Hand around a while.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, thegreatbambino said:

Texas loses a lot on D, but they had a ton of young guys play this year. Corner and LB is where I think Texas will see the biggest drop off. 

Agreed, Cook and Green will be very good with time but they’ll have growing pains. 

Green apparently had very good bowl practices, so that’s good to hear. 

3 hours ago, thegreatbambino said:

Most of what they lose on D  isn’t irreplaceable though.  Hager has been a liability most of the season.  Nelson is pretty good, but I feel Coburn will get plenty of snaps next year.  Omenihu has been solid with a few flashes along the way.  LB will be a strength next year even as young as they’ll be.  The DBs will be pretty good too, but younger.  Ossai led the team in tackles last night.  

• Mr. P changed the title to Longhorns 2019 Thread

Ossai pretty much locked up the B-Backer spot last night. Had a really good game and led the team in tackles with 8. I think McCulloch gets the 1st shot at MLB and he is more athletic than Wheeler. At Rover I think Johnson will be the starter. Freshman LB Floyd will enroll early and play a ton next year.

Safety looks to be solid, especially if Jones comes back, which I think he will. 

DL I think will be more athletic. Nelson and Omenihu will be missed. Both were very solid players. Texas was able to get some young guys some valuable snaps last night at nose. I think Roach, Bimage, and Graham will be fine at DE.

CB is much like LB. Cook looks to be the starter at one of the corner spots. He looked good in his opportunities. The other spot is open. Boyce, Green, and Watson (enrolling early and a freak athlete). Also Nickel looks to be a Thompson's spot to lose, but I think Jamison( if he moves back over to D, which he should) will get a look here. Also Watson could get a look at this spot. After last night Foster needs to be on the field somewhere.

Offensively Texas could be really good if LJH and Johnson come back.

QB- Sam will be a JR and should continue to progress

RB- Ingram will get a full off season and have a larger work load next year. Just need to find another back to give Ingram a breather. Could see a Grad Transfer here.

WR- Depends on what happens with CJ and LJH. Need at least one to comeback. Duvernay had a solid year and you add in 2019 recruits Whittington and Smith that will add some explosiveness.

TE- Beck was a unsung hero for this team. But Texas will have Brewer and Leitao as 3rd year guys. Brewer will get a full off season this year after being hurt last year.

OL- Texas loses 3 guys, but also has 3 guys coming back(Kerstetter rotated in throughout the year). Cosmi will probably slide over to LT and Shack will stay at Center. Kerstetter will start at one of the Guards or RT. Okafor should have a chance to start at a Guard spot or RT. This is another spot I could see them adding a Grad Transfer.

2 minutes ago, thegreatbambino said:

Offensively Texas could be really good if LJH and Johnson come back.

QB- Sam will be a JR and should continue to progress

RB- Ingram will get a full off season and have a larger work load next year. Just need to find another back to give Ingram a breather. Could see a Grad Transfer here.

WR- Depends on what happens with CJ and LJH. Need at least one to comeback. Duvernay had a solid year and you add in 2019 recruits Whittington and Smith that will add some explosiveness.

TE- Beck was a unsung hero for this team. But Texas will have Brewer and Leitao as 3rd year guys. Brewer will get a full off season this year after being hurt last year.

OL- Texas loses 3 guys, but also has 3 guys coming back(Kerstetter rotated in throughout the year). Cosmi will probably slide over to LT and Shack will stay at Center. Kerstetter will start at one of the Guards or RT. Okafor should have a chance to start at a Guard spot or RT. This is another spot I could see them adding a Grad Transfer.

OL Angilau was said to of had good bowl practices and could be a solid 6th OL guy.