Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

Just now, DB2point0 said:

Is yurcich going to be installing a new offense or just running hermans? 

I guess we really can’t know until the spring and probably fall camp but I imagine it’ll be both. I envision some new passing game concepts with the same QB run game just used less. He won’t do a complete overhaul because Sam has 1 year left. 

13 hours ago, WETSU said:

With this news after the bowl game, is it safe to stay they will start the season ranked somewhere around 5-6? 

They will start out higher than they should be. I suspect 10-15 range. They should be somewhere between 15-20 if you ask me.

Before anyone misinterprets what I'm about to say, let me preface it with this....I am in NO WAY comparing the two individuals, simply the situation. 

Prior to this season, no one was talking about Joe Burrow as a 1st rd draft pick, let alone, the #1 overall pick. A lot can change in the right offense. While I don't believe Ehlinger is a Top 4 rd draft pick today (we've all seen far worse QB's drafted in the late rounds), you never know what 1 season in the right offense can do.

• Like 1

The new QB Coach/OC could really be beneficial for Sam. The biggest area I feel he needs help is hitting WRs on the run and awareness - they kind of go hand in hand. Too many times, Sam waits until the route is wide open instead of trusting the route and his read. This really hurts with the long ball because he then tends to under throw the ball. It also causes him to hold onto the ball too long at times. I think he was so worried about throwing an interception that he held back and hurt the QB/WR timing. A new voice and opinion in his ear could be a trampoline to correcting this. We've got to push WRs downfield and throw it so teams will respect it. This will in effect open up the underneath routes to the slot guys as well as help the running game. Not to mention, if there are 3 DBs covering 2 WRs deep downfield, that's less guys to tackle Sam if he takes off from the pocket. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I just read that Ash and Yurcich officially start tomorrow and first item of business will be to interview remaining staff.  Then they’ll start looking at filling the staff 

Supposedly Hand, Drayton, and Giles are returning.  

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Texas will return 8-9 starters on both sides of the ball and I still have them with a ceiling of 9-3

If the defense is simplified and Ash just let's players make plays instead some bizarre scheme and trying to be smart like Orlando, the defense will improve tremendously.  10+ wins isn't out of the question.

If Herman wont lay an egg against a lesser opponent I see 3 games that determine the season in OU, LSU, and OSU.  Iowa State comes to Austin and they have to replaced a Sr. filled OL.

18 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

If the defense is simplified and Ash just let's players make plays instead some bizarre scheme and trying to be smart like Orlando, the defense will improve tremendously.  10+ wins isn't out of the question.

If Herman wont lay an egg against a lesser opponent I see 3 games that determine the season in OU, LSU, and OSU.  Iowa State comes to Austin and they have to replaced a Sr. filled OL.

Replacing the wr production will be tough, but the talent is there.  I’d like to see the qb run used a lot less.  Texas definitely has the talent to win every game on the schedule, but until I see the corrections from the HC in game management and no special teams blunders I’m sticking with 8-4/9-3

On 1/7/2019 at 11:19 AM, TxFight said:

My WAY, WAY too early thoughts on the 2019 Schedule 

vs. Louisiana Tech: WIN LT is a good mid major football team. But Texas has no business losing this game if they want to be serious national title contenders. Zero. Zip. Nada. Can't lose this one. 

Got this one right.

vs. LSU: WIN One thing that has been a given under Herman since he has been at UT. They are going to be ready to go in games that are viewed as "big games". At home, DKR will be rocking, will have national attention. Just has all the writings of a big win for UT. Will not be surprised if LSU wins, but I'm going to wear homer glasses atleast right now on this one.

Missed this one. I atleast said I wouldn't be surprised if LSU won.

vs. Rice @ NRG: WIN if this were a mid-major with some offensive fire-power, this would be a trap game. But Rice is far from that. UT should cruise, even if they get off to a bumpy start.

Right as well.

vs. Oklahoma State: WIN UT going to have to be careful with this one, because just when you think a Mike Gundy team is going to be an easy W, they find a way to bite you in a big way. Think Texas brings enough back offensively, and OK State loses enough that UT should be OK in this one and run the 1st 4 game stretch undefeated.

Correct on this one as well.

@ West Virginia: WIN New coach, new QB, a bunch of unknowns. WVU will be looking to make a statement win under the new regime, but again, UT has zero business losing this one. ESPECIALLY coming off a bye week.

Correct on this one as well.

vs. Oklahoma @ Dallas: WIN As previously mentioned. You know you are going to get an A game out of Texas in this one. Unless Riley works his magic again at QB, no way OU can be as good on O as they have been. 

This did not age well. At all.

vs. Kansas: WIN Les Miles has a long ways to go to get Kansas competitive. This one feels like it could be more challenging than necessary. Don't think UT folds in this one though. 

Got this one pretty smack dab. UT didn't quite fold, but they sure tried!

@ TCU: Win Another one that could get murky in a hurry if UT doesn't show up ready to play. Gary Patterson and his bunch won't take kindly to being written off in the conference.

Assessment was right, outcome was way, way wrong.

Vs. Kansas State: WIN K-State made a great hire IMO, but I think it will take some time for them to get to competing with the upper echelon of the Big 12 w/o Snyder at the helm.

K-state punched heavier than I thought they would, but got the W right.

@ Iowa State: LOSS Iowa State is good. Their coach is good. It's liable to be a night game. Just has all the makings of an upset. Don't think UT is quite ready to run the tables, and if they haven't already lost one, this one just has it written all over it. If they do happen to come in, and then walk out of this one undefeated, they'll have truly turned the corner and will be "back". 

NAILED IT!

@ Baylor: WIN I like Rhule. Think he has been great for Baylor. Waco will be wild for this one. Texas SHOULD respond in a big way.

Yuck. Atleast I ALL CAPS "SHOULD" lol. What a disappointment.

vs. Texas Tech: WIN I think getting rid of Kliff makes TT very average. Atleast w/ Kliff at the helm you knew TT was going to score a bunch of points, or be capable of scoring when they needed it most. Now though, TT is going to be trying to play "typical" Big 12 football, w/o a true offensive mastermind behind it. Just think they are going to struggle. The appeal of Lubbock for what seems like the last decade was Points, Points, Points. Not having that Mike Leach connection is going to hurt IMO>

NAILED IT!

Obviously at lot can change between now and August. As I said, I don't think UT is quite ready to run the tables. I could see 11-1. I could see 9-3. Really anything under 10 will be a disappointment. Feel free to go ahead and pick it apart now.