Jump to content

Running Up The Score


Ronster23
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, TexWes said:

No argument here. The game I was referring to was a 94-0 score. We did not want to win that badly. I was also on the receiving end of 74-0 beating and I don't think they did anything wrong either.

Yeah, it happens. Sometimes you're just utterly outmatched and there's nothing you can do...  but do you want to hear something weird? 

In rugby, it's considered offensive to NOT try to run up the score. I'm serious...  

Years ago in college, we were playing against a local city club team. We were up by 50 shortly before halftime when I recovered a knock-on (fumble) and took off to the opposing goal with no one around me. Since we were up by so much (with hardly any time left in the half), I decided to just down it a few yards out from goal. I was immediately dog-piled by the opposing team and a minor melee broke out. 

The team captain explained to me that, in rugby, it's considered emasculating for the winning team to not keep trying to score. You may as well mock the size of their manhood. It's better to win by 100 points than to "down it." I think we eventually scored 120 points in that match. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Rugby makes football look like a sissy sport. Those guys are tough. Football with no pads or helmet. 

I absolutely love rugby. I can't believe it's not more popular in the States, especially the South. It's basically an organized version of "smear the q###r." 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Valhalla said:

In my experience it’s been more a problem in basketball than football. 

I remember when schools like White Oak and Tatum dropped down to 2A and would go and beat schools like Harleton and Union Grove 115 to 30 and press the whole game.

Friend told me that happened at bs this year, he had a son playing and bs pressed the whole game, 113 to 27.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok.  Here is the deal.  You play to win the game.  Running up the score is part of it.  That said, a good coach knows how to keep it in hand.  I coached youngsters in Football, Basketball & Baseball for many years.  As a coach, you can definitely tell when you are running it up or having it run up on you.  IT is up to the coach to stop it.   Once won a game 18-0 in peewee football that could have easily have been 60-0.  The other team's offense didn't get a first down the entire game & turned the ball over 5-6 times.  We scored on the first three drives with ease.......my solution was to start running simple dive plays with kids that had never carried the ball before.  25 person team & I had 21 to run the ball that game.  Not hard to do at any level in my opinion.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is also the scenario that the opposing team ran the score up on Thursday night (JV-JH) when there really is a chance for a huge imbalance of talent and now they are just getting pay back.  Most coaches hate games that are blow outs.  Once you have a game won you are looking ahead and don't want someone to get hurt in a game that is already in the win column.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/5/2019 at 6:01 PM, Ronster23 said:

Evidently you didn't read the article

I don't like the "everybody wins" "church league" thought process moving into everything. The real world doesn't work that way. Kids can learn a lot through athletics. Fighting back when they are down and not giving up teaches a lot for later in life for college academics when it's difficult, business life when times turn against you, when your personal and family life starts to crumble on you the "scoreboard doesn't get turned off". 

I know many a coach that uses the philosophy of "keep the pedal down" the entire first half no matter the score, even if that means you hit 63-0. The 2nd half it's always a strange event to see those teams "going away" from their game style (even with your backups & younger players) to avoid scoring which would embarrass me more as a player or coach on the opposing team. 

In basketball, if you're an aggressive pressing team that runs - I just feel you play your style of ball with your players.

Teach your kids to be respectful to their opponents at all times. When you're winning and you're good, you don't have to woof...your play will do it for you. I always told them, you'll get your recognition...our opponents (college) in blowouts usually then talked to my kids about our "situation" afterwards since my players were respectful to them.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/9/2019 at 12:55 PM, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I don't like the "everybody wins" "church league" thought process moving into everything. The real world doesn't work that way. Kids can learn a lot through athletics. Fighting back when they are down and not giving up teaches a lot for later in life for college academics when it's difficult, business life when times turn against you, when your personal and family life starts to crumble on you the "scoreboard doesn't get turned off". 

I know many a coach that uses the philosophy of "keep the pedal down" the entire first half no matter the score, even if that means you hit 63-0. The 2nd half it's always a strange event to see those teams "going away" from their game style (even with your backups & younger players) to avoid scoring which would embarrass me more as a player or coach on the opposing team. 

In basketball, if you're an aggressive pressing team that runs - I just feel you play your style of ball with your players.

Teach your kids to be respectful to their opponents at all times. When you're winning and you're good, you don't have to woof...your play will do it for you. I always told them, you'll get your recognition...our opponents (college) in blowouts usually then talked to my kids about our "situation" afterwards since my players were respectful to them.

Wish I could give this more likes. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Imo.  I believe there is no such thing.  If the other team is crushed they will work harder... if you back off and refuse to score anymore, it will still be a crushing defeat.  What is worse??? Knowing that the could have score 20 more times or having them actually score 18 more times???  If they are in your district you must win big, that is how tie breakers are won... if they are a non district opponents in pre district play then it doesn't really matter who wins or loses in high school. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/6/2019 at 4:04 PM, Valhalla said:

In my experience it’s been more a problem in basketball than football. 

I remember when schools like White Oak and Tatum dropped down to 2A and would go and beat schools like Harleton and Union Grove 115 to 30 and press the whole game.

A number of post on both sides of the issue.  I do hate to see a far superior team pressing the whole game.  The Basketball Coach at Silsbee has to confront this conundrum against all but one District opponent (Hardin-Jefferson) usually.  Hats off to Coach Sigler for handling it with class, and still managing to win back to back State Championships.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mean this is partially the problem with the kids in our world these days...that a parent would immediately say, "oh their running the score up"...instead of, "boy you better get some backbone and fight for these next 24 minutes and get a little something off whoever is out there!"

I know how my dad was...of course he was a coach and things were a certain way.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I mean this is partially the problem with the kids in our world these days...that a parent would immediately say, "oh their running the score up"...instead of, "boy you better get some backbone and fight for these next 24 minutes and get a little something off whoever is out there!"

I know how my dad was...of course he was a coach and things were a certain way.

Was it in Coppell where a mom tried to file bullying charges cause her sons' team got woodshedded few years ago? REAL charges cause they got whooped in a game lmao

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/15/2019 at 7:48 AM, Hagar said:

A number of post on both sides of the issue.  I do hate to see a far superior team pressing the whole game.  The Basketball Coach at Silsbee has to confront this conundrum against all but one District opponent (Hardin-Jefferson) usually.  Hats off to Coach Sigler for handling it with class, and still managing to win back to back State Championships.

I heard of a new level of this lately. A team from this area who was up by 40+ was still pressing in the 4th quarter when the opposing team was down to 4 players.

That is running up the score.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I heard of a new level of this lately. A team from this area who was up by 40+ was still pressing in the 4th quarter when the opposing team was down to 4 players.

That is running up the score.

now that, I don't know how I feel about it...I'd truly have to see how I felt in the moment as the coach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Was it in Coppell where a mom tried to file bullying charges cause her sons' team got woodshedded few years ago? REAL charges cause they got whooped in a game lmao

I believe the winning team was Aledo. Their all-state RB played like 3 snaps. All three were TD runs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In terms of football if your backups are in, your using play clock and the other team can't stop you then that is one thing. But I have heard and seen coaches that will continue to run trick plays and intentionally try to run up the score, to me that is classless. I have seen a team throw a flee flicker with with seconds on the clock and the other team had no time outs left up 28 to 7 in playoff game. And yes they scored to make it 35 to 7. But turn around was fair play as they got beat 70 to 0 the next game other team never pulled the starters.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

sports? extracurricular activities? they are pretty important...kids of all socioeconomic levels can learn a heck of a lot from the discipline of sports or band or theatre or ROTC or whatever they give their everything to be a part of. many of us that have played and/or coached at a few levels have been a part of the conversations with many a student that tells you very honestly that they never would have finished college, much less gone to college, much less probably finished high school had it not been for the sport that they had passion for and excelled at and the leader of that sport/activity that pushed them to be their very best and to go on to that next level. 

just saying...

IT'S SAD, YOU'RE RIGHT...WE SHOULD HAVE MORE TO REACH MORE KIDS!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...