West Rusk Opening

Eagleborn

1 hour ago, broncbuster11 said:

This would be a great first job for a young coordinator or assistant coach looking to make their mark. If WR will embrace that and not get hung up on trying to get the perfect veteran, they will probably attract some good candidates. 

I can think of one that be perfect but won't happen.

8 minutes ago, KingLeo said:

West Rusk has a talented team with potential to go far in the playoffs and maybe contend for state. A good proven seasoned head coach could be all it takes. D. Alexander would be a good choice.

Next year?

They are losing like 28 seniors. They will probably take a step back in football next season.

24 minutes ago, KingLeo said:

West Rusk has a talented team with potential to go far in the playoffs and maybe contend for state. A good proven seasoned head coach could be all it takes. D. Alexander would be a good choice.

Yeah it would be but don't see that happening. 

On 1/17/2019 at 9:49 AM, Valhalla said:

Next year?

They are losing like 28 seniors. They will probably take a step back in football next season.

West Rusk is returning 1st team DB, 1st team DE, 1st team OL,  1st team OLB, and 2 starting OL, 1 starting receiver, and starting rb. On defense 1 DB returning, OLB’s returning a few d lineman returning 

On 1/17/2019 at 10:17 AM, hsfootball21 said:

Thats seems like a lot for a school that size. What did the underclassmen look like?

8th grade undefeated in football, good JV. WR best class is the 8th grade class. 

On 1/17/2019 at 10:28 AM, Nick2011 said:

21 right? 

Something like that

I haven't posted on here in a long, long time, and I won't slander anyone. But if the hire is made that I believe will be made, it's a move that will negatively affect the program for years to come. I would hate to see that, because West Rusk has good kids, and I want them to keep on winning. I'm not a West Rusk parent, and they may not even hire the guy that a lot of us are hearing. Maybe they will hire from within -- maybe that would be for the best. Or maybe I'll be wrong, and the guy that's at the center of the rumor will be a LOT better head coach than he has as an assistant.

6 minutes ago, Batman123 said:

I haven't posted on here in a long, long time, and I won't slander anyone. But if the hire is made that I believe will be made, it's a move that will negatively affect the program for years to come. I would hate to see that, because West Rusk has good kids, and I want them to keep on winning. I'm not a West Rusk parent, and they may not even hire the guy that a lot of us are hearing. Maybe they will hire from within -- maybe that would be for the best. Or maybe I'll be wrong, and the guy that's at the center of the rumor will be a LOT better head coach than he has as an assistant.

Just curious, have you coached with him? I’m not trying to be a jerk I’m just genuinely asking how you know he’s not been a very good assistant? We maybe thinking about two different people, but from the outside looking in, he’s been pretty good I thought. If it’s who I’m thinking, they were down this past year, but are always a contender and score a lot of points. Curious if there’s anybody he’ll take with him if it is.

1 hour ago, KingLeo said:

Get out of here. Experienced, not wore out.

• Thanks 1

I haven't coached with him. Have you noticed that Kilgore's goals seemed to have gone from winning district and a deep playoff run, maybe contending for a title, to winning district and if not, then somehow getting into the playoffs and out of the second round?

Not being ugly. I said the Kilgore coaches are good people, they're all good people. I'm saying they had a 6-5 wide receiver in Jonathan Shepherd and were throwing it over the top 2-3 times a game -- that was the only passing game, basically, Kilgore had the last few seasons. It's bottomed out badly. Kilgore has found a way to get it done in spite of a lack of offense.

Anyone who doesn't believe this should ask Henderson and Carthage fans. They see Kilgore play. I'm not convinced that West Rusk will keep winning anyway with the loss of talent they're about to go through in graduation, but West Rusk has been pretty balanced under Frazier. If this hire is made, they'll go from pretty balanced, like 60-40 run-to-pass, to 95-5 run-to-pass. 

I may be in the minority, but I don't see that teams who "always" run or teams that "always" pass win consistently. Does Kilgore get in the playoffs every year? Well, just about it. Are they a constant winner? Yes. Is that admirable and where most programs want to be? Yes. Is part of Kilgore's problem the district in which it plays? Yes.

But right now, they have virtually no offense. Lost 28 seniors to graduation, of course, but the offense has been not nearly as good since they elected to abandon their old offense for ...whatever this is.

I still read this board from time to time. I know there are a few guys like Aggie98 or WhoamI that seem to be pretty connected to the program. They may disagree with me. I can't speak for them. I can tell you what I see and what I hear. Sorry I posted back to back posts.

Sitting here thinking about this, I hijacked this thread. Rumored guy is a good guy. If that's who West Rusk wants to hire, good luck to him and to them, and hopefully they'll keep winning. I didn't mean to make it about Kilgore, just was stating what I knew to be true. If I offended anybody, I apologize. Rooting for what's best for West Rusk, and hope coach Frazier will enjoy watching his son play ball for WOHS.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Batman123 said:

I still read this board from time to time. I know there are a few guys like Aggie98 or WhoamI that seem to be pretty connected to the program. They may disagree with me. I can't speak for them. I can tell you what I see and what I hear. Sorry I posted back to back posts.

I have followed Kilgore fairly closely basically since Vallery got to town and I can tell you Kilgore has never thrown the ball. The running stats are essentially the same as 2004 except they do it out of a pistol triple option as opposed to a power running attack. You’re correct about Sheppard and I agree they probably could have utilized him a little better, but I can probably count on one hand the number of times he saw single coverage, and the QB he played with couldn’t exactly thread the needle. Kilgore’s talent level has been way down pretty much since the 2013 state season. My personal opinion from a fan in the stands is it would be a good fit for both him and WR, but I’ve been wrong before. Remember, there were people that said hiring an OC from Thigh was a terrible move for Carthage once upon a time, so you never know. I would be interested to see if any coaches followed him though. A lot of those guys have been there a while.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 6922 said:

I know that Mata has a great reputation as a QB coach. 

I've got zero connections to either program (West Rusk or Kilgore), but I think Mata would be a good fit for the Raiders.

I can't say he'd be better than any other candidates, because I don't know who they are.

But if the question is would Mata do well at WR, the answer is yes. I believe he would.