Pre season 4A baseball rankings

Sportsfanatic1

On 5/6/2019 at 10:10 AM, sportsguy24 said:

W15 Texarkana Pleasant Grove (23-4) vs R14 Brownsboro (23-5-1).

Game 1: Thursday, May 9 – 7:00 PM @ Whitehouse

Game 2: Friday, May 10 – 7:00 PM @ Pleasant Grove

Game 3: Saturday, May 11 – TBD (If Necessary)

There's been a change.

W15 Texarkana Pleasant Grove (23-4) vs R14 Brownsboro (23-5-1).

Game 1: Thursday, May 9 – 6:30 PM @ Mike Carter Field

Game 2: Thursday, May 9 – 30 Min after Game 1

Game 3: Friday, May 10 – 7:00 PM @ Pleasant Grove (If Necessary)

Two of Brownsboro's losses is district play were to Canton(30-0).  One was to Wills Point(18-9-1) and the other was to Van early.  The Bears also dropped one in the series against Farmersville last week.   I would not consider Brownsboro as anything but highly competitive in Region 2 with a good chance against favored PG.  

26 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

anybody hear how those two rescheduled games turned out tonight???  It's 11:15 pm now and both games should be completed.  I imagine it was somewhat windy and cold conditions for at least Game 2 with that front blowing in tonight.

PG won game 1 7-4 in a pretty good game! Game 2 PG scored 1 in bottom of sixth and brownsboro scored one in top of 7th but they called an interference call on the slide at second to end the game 1-0! Tough ending, hard to make that call in that situation when their was 0% chance of making a play at first! Great 2 games and congrats to PG! Good luck rest of way!

So the throw to 2nd was for an out and there was no chance to get the double-up, but they called an out due to the slide into 2nd "interferring"???  Meanwhile a run scored from 3rd that would have tied the game on that play......is that what happened???  Must have been runners on 1st and 3rd with one out and a ground ball to the infield.  OR a slow roller they said the runner "interferred" with the infielder's ability to make the play so they called the runner out and the game ended.  

9 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

So the throw to 2nd was for an out and there was no chance to get the double-up, but they called an out due to the slide into 2nd "interferring"???  Meanwhile a run scored from 3rd that would have tied the game on that play......is that what happened???  Must have been runners on 1st and 3rd with one out and a ground ball to the infield.  OR a slow roller they said the runner "interferred" with the infielder's ability to make the play so they called the runner out and the game ended.  

Yes runner first and third 1 out.. chopper and said runner interfered on slide 

7 hours ago, DiamondDemo said:

Yes runner first and third 1 out.. chopper and said runner interfered on slide 

Oh my, how do you make that call?

Can they throw a coach out after the game (and season) is over?

I can not imagine how mad the Brownsboro coach was.

Where was the umpire from that made that call?

29 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

Oh my, how do you make that call?

Can they throw a coach out after the game (and season) is over?

I can not imagine how mad the Brownsboro coach was.

Where was the umpire from that made that call?

Not the Tyler Chapter.... They had home and second during game 1.

In every rule I have ever read when it comes to interference, the line that is always used is:

"a base runner willfully and deliberately interferes"

I do NOT see any deliberate action in that video. I see a kid slide into second base, hit the bag, and maintain his position on the bag.

Definitely a bad call.  A case where one of the umps wants to show his "knowledge" of the rules of the game at the detriment of the result of the game.  This call would never be made 99% of the time in the regular season.  Not only a game-deciding decision......but a season-deciding decision for the Bears AND possibly even more regarding the entire playoff picture in Region 2 and perhaps beyond.  What a dummy!!    I guess he could not resist the chance to "make the big call" and be "the man".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, regaleagle said:

Definitely a bad call.  A case where one of the umps wants to show his "knowledge" of the rules of the game at the detriment of the result of the game.  This call would never be made 99% of the time in the regular season.  Not only a game-deciding decision......but a season-deciding decision for the Bears AND possibly even more regarding the entire playoff picture in Region 2 and perhaps beyond.  What a dummy!!    I guess he could not resist the chance to "make the big call" and be "the man".

Whenever possible......the object SHOULD be to let the players on the field decide the result of the game.......not the officials.......esp. on a highly questionable call in such a critical time where so much is dependent on the call being absolutely correct.  In this case......the call was definitely incorrect.

• Thanks 1

It appears the advancing runner on first was thrown out at 2nd on the slide, then jumped up quickly instead of staying down near the bag......thus "interferring" with the attempted throw to first base for the double play.  I can see how the ump felt there was interference with the 2nd baseman's ability to complete the play.......but still highly questionable in this scenario.

8 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Whenever possible......the object SHOULD be to let the players on the field decide the result of the game.......not the officials.......esp. on a highly questionable call in such a critical time where so much is dependent on the call being absolutely correct.  In this case......the call was definitely incorrect.

You are 100% correct.

It is a real simple concept, the slide was legal and the runner did not intentionally interfere with the players ability to make the play. 

This is a case where having multiple umpires is a hindrance. This call never happens with a 2 or even a 3 umpire crew, because the umpire at second has to move his eyes immediately after the call to the play at first base. And if this umpire had done that, then he would have seen that there was no play at first, so no interference.

May sound biased & I really don't care.  If the runner advancing to 2nd would have stayed down, instead of popping back up, there would have been no call by the umpire (in my opinion).  That seems like a pretty clear call to me.

3 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

It appears the advancing runner on first was thrown out at 2nd on the slide, then jumped up quickly instead of staying down near the bag......thus "interferring" with the attempted throw to first base for the double play.  I can see how the ump felt there was interference with the 2nd baseman's ability to complete the play.......but still highly questionable in this scenario.

If the player is legally occupying the base, then there is no interference.

5 minutes ago, PGHawkfan said:

May sound biased & I really don't care.  If the runner advancing to 2nd would have stayed down, instead of popping back up, there would have been no call by the umpire (in my opinion).  That seems like a pretty clear call to me.

I will ask you one question then.

Did the runner interfere with the players ability to make the play?

Because in my opinion there was no play at 1st base. There must be a legitimate chance for the double play to be completed for the type of interference that "MAY" have occurred to be called.

2 minutes ago, PGHawkfan said:

You are correct PGHawkfan......it DOES sound biased, LOL.  

1 minute ago, playactionpass39 said:

I will ask you one question then.

Did the runner interfere with the players ability to make the play?

Because in my opinion there was no play at 1st base,

Hard to tell from the video but;  it did (to me) look like he interfered with the players ability to make the play.  That said, I understand your opinion.  To me, that is why the official is out there.

1 minute ago, PGHawkfan said:

Hard to tell from the video but;  it did (to me) look like he interfered with the players ability to make the play.  That said, I understand your opinion.  To me, that is why the official is out there.

You are correct. i am unbiased and as an umpire, i would never have made that call, in any situation,  little own the deciding play of a playoff game that ends a teams season.

1 minute ago, playactionpass39 said:

You are correct. i am unbiased and as an umpire, i would never have made that call, in any situation,  little own the deciding play of a playoff game that ends a teams season.

I definitely understand your position.  That said, I have seen a lot of these situations (both sides).  Ultimately, you don't ever want a game to end that way.  You always want it to be in the players hands.  

• Like 1

Just now, playactionpass39 said:

And I don't see how you can say it interfered with his ability to make the play, the throw to first was perfectly on line and not significantly slowed down enough to keep him from getting the runner at first out, because nobody was getting the runner at first out on that play.

Like I said, hard to see from the video.  I know one thing is for sure, I wouldn't have wanted to be the ump making that call.  Ultimately, teams should take officials out of the equation by winning in spite of some calls.  Like I said earlier, you don't ever want one to end that way.

It's baseball......anything can happen at anytime to impact the outcome of any game.  This includes timely hits, untimely errors, baserunning mistakes, pass balls, and BAD CALLS from the officials......whether at the plate(we see this most often on outside pitches called as strikes to end a game) or on the basepaths.  Unfortunately this is part of baseball at every level......there is no instant replay like in football in these types of situations.  At the professional level regarding this call......now the call can be protested and replayed for the correct call.  But this kind of call was a judgement call and may not even qualify for replay at the professional level.

• Like 1