Pre season 4A baseball rankings

Sportsfanatic1

On 3/30/2019 at 8:22 AM, DevelopQB said:

Since Argyle moved out of the region, PG will have a smooth road to the state tourney.  Canton, Kilgore, Bullard & Carthage....not until they can dethrone PG in a 3 game series.  I just don’t see that happening.  I cant even remember the last time PG or Argyle was not the rep out of Reg 2.  

What does "smooth road" mean? If they played Canton, Kilgore, or Bullard it wouldn't even go to a 3rd game?? I think all 3 of those teams could beat PG in a 3 game series. The games still have to be played. History does have a tendency to repeat itself, but not every time. Could easily be a new team representing the Region this year with Argyle moving out. I just hope it's one of those 4 east texas teams.

Since 4 teams out of each district will make the playoffs and there could be a one-gamer in any playoff matchup per a coin flip if one of the teams wants one......it could change alot of things.  One team's ace against another team's ace in a one-gamer to advance is totally different than a best of 3 series.  Because of this possibility......more teams in the playoffs have a better opportunity to advance regardless of record or ranking......or depth of pitching.  Overall pitching depth does matter, but may not matter as much in a one-game scenario.  A favorite to win the region or at least get to the regional title game could get knocked out early in a  one-gamer and open up opportunities for the other teams advancing each week.  This happens each year and is not unusual in the playoffs.

What is unusual is for a highly ranked team to keep winning all the way thru to the State Championship game without a loss along  the way.  Or sweeping best of 3 series without a rubber match game 3.  This is where pitching depth plays a very key role in advancing.  Good defense and good hitting(or even timely hitting) are also critical elements to winning the region and advancing to the State Final Four......which are one-gamers.

6 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Since 4 teams out of each district will make the playoffs and there could be a one-gamer in any playoff matchup per a coin flip if one of the teams wants one......it could change alot of things.  One team's ace against another team's ace in a one-gamer to advance is totally different than a best of 3 series.  Because of this possibility......more teams in the playoffs have a better opportunity to advance regardless of record or ranking......or depth of pitching.  Overall pitching depth does matter, but may not matter as much in a one-game scenario.  A favorite to win the region or at least get to the regional title game could get knocked out early in a  one-gamer and open up opportunities for the other teams advancing each week.  This happens each year and is not unusual in the playoffs.

You are correct...…………"Upsets" happen in baseball wayyyy more than football or basketball...…………One "average" pitcher pitches the game of his life in a one game playoff, and the underdog wins

41 minutes ago, ALLSPORTFAN said:

You look at our record and who we have played. That’s how I see how good we are.  

I gotcha. There's no doubt Carthage is a good team this year but there seems to be several that are good this year and could go on a deep run. As stated before, it's Argyle's to lose no doubt.

I think it will be either PG or Canton coming out of region 2. JMO

7 hours ago, sportsguy24 said:

What does "smooth road" mean? If they played Canton, Kilgore, or Bullard it wouldn't even go to a 3rd game?? I think all 3 of those teams could beat PG in a 3 game series. The games still have to be played. History does have a tendency to repeat itself, but not every time. Could easily be a new team representing the Region this year with Argyle moving out. I just hope it's one of those 4 east texas teams.

Smooth just means Argyle is not in the way.   I cant remember the last time PG has lost a playoff series to anyone other than Argyle.   

18 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

I gotcha. There's no doubt Carthage is a good team this year but there seems to be several that are good this year and could go on a deep run. As stated before, it's Argyle's to lose no doubt.

I think it will be either PG or Canton coming out of region 2. JMO

I would agree with that.  PG is good. But I think it’s the most loaded region of the 4.

• Like 1

Would not overlook Benbrook this season......they have some quality wins for sure.  Could be a team that could surprise in the playoffs.....depending on who they face in which round(s).  Then there's always the luck of the coin flip for a one-gamer hanging in the balance that could change things also......for any of these contenders.

43 minutes ago, ALLSPORTFAN said:

Carthage up 17-0 on Jasper bottom 4th.   Seth Smith 4 innings 2 hits.  Carthage has 17 hits.  Still think we should be worried?????

Waco Robinson is probably the biggest worry. Very storied program that has been good for a long time. Top 5 coach in the state IMO.

11 hours ago, ALLSPORTFAN said:

Carthage up 17-0 on Jasper bottom 4th.   Seth Smith 4 innings 2 hits.  Carthage has 17 hits.  Still think we should be worried?????

That is 1 game.   Big difference in 1 game and a series.   Again, time will tell.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ALLSPORTFAN said:

I meant about Hudson or Jasper.  Someone said they would be tough in a 3 game series.  Seth Smith sat 88-89 mph for 4 complete innings.  Carthage won 17-0. 17-3-1 (7-0).

Probably talking about a best 2 out of 3 series. I wish the UIL would make it mandatory until the state tourney. That way one dominate pitcher wouldn't decide the outcome.

Like Kilgore this year, they will probably be flipping for 1 gamers because of Hampton. Same can be said about Decatuer with that dude that throws 95-97.

8 hours ago, DevelopQB said:

That is 1 game.   Big difference in 1 game and a series.   Again, time will tell.

You realize we have two dominate starting pitchers and we have about 3 relief pitchers that haven’t been hit either. We also got our lefty pitcher from last year back this week.  He has been out since first week of practice.

4 hours ago, ALLSPORTFAN said:

You realize we have two dominate starting pitchers and we have about 3 relief pitchers that haven’t been hit either. We also got our lefty pitcher from last year back this week.  He has been out since first week of practice.

Not 2 dominate because you have 3 losses and a tie.   That’s not dominate.   Someone has been hit!   Get back with me when you are in Austin with Argyle & PG.