Marshall Promotes OC Jake Griedl to AD/Head Football Coach...

Smoaky

5 hours ago, justafan said:

I’m hearing names like Jack Alvarez

Josh Gibson

I personally want you to hire Scott Ford. 

But if not and sounds like you are not. You missed out a running guy last time. Why would you want one now??? Do y’all have a bunch of stud RB coming? 

Neither of those guys have an offense foundation that fits the personnel of Marshall. Along with that, you have to think of how kids will respond to those guys. Has Gibson ever coached at a place anything similar to Marshall? There are better names being thrown around than him. But still I think it needs to be one of the coordinators. I thought we would have heard on an inside hire by now. I’m pretty sure they both interviewed early last week. Might mean outside hire is being worked in the back door. 

Anybody who thinks Gibson would go to Marshall has lost your minds.   Whoever was the first to post his name on here knows absolutely zero about Josh Gibson.  Yes he is the latest to ‘win’ and is the ‘hot’ name out there but his next stop will not be in Marshall.   100% guarantee he is not leaving PG this year with what they have returning.   Another trip to the finals then he may get the urge to fly away but he will not be landing in Marshall Texas.   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

Oh Lord.  There are so many stupid things in that post its hard to start. Everybody knew (including Norton) Texas High was gonna be down for a few years.  He took a Ark High team that had never lost to Tex High and promptly went 1-1 and should have been 0-2.   Marshall doesn't need any part of that.

As far as PG owning the town......enjoy the streak. It never lasts.   We are living proof. The same people saying we were "recruiting" are suddenly silent about all the new kids there.  FYI….as far as being the 4th best program in Texarkana...….I guess you can make a case for it...…...If you discount the fact we beat 2 of them  **roll eyes**   Whoever is currently on a streak & in the playoffs "own" this town.   Enjoy the ride

Well said.  All runs come to an end.  When the Jimmys and Joes start to thin out those runs come to an end in a hurry.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DevelopQB said:

Anybody who thinks Gibson would go to Marshall has lost your minds.   Whoever was the first to post his name on here knows absolutely zero about Josh Gibson.  Yes he is the latest to ‘win’ and is the ‘hot’ name out there but his next stop will not be in Marshall.   100% guarantee he is not leaving PG this year with what they have returning.   Another trip to the finals then he may get the urge to fly away but he will not be landing in Marshall Texas.   

His father just joined the staff at ETBU.  It wouldn’t be as far fetched as you think if you consider that... js

3 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

I hear a former OC from Dallas needs a job 😂

Lmao. Not a chance. But he will be looking  

As far as Harper goes though....

Cant tell people it’s your forever dream job and leave 4 years later. 

I don’t fault him.  $150K is $150K with much better hours being an AD only vs HFC. 

But I doubt anyone would seriously entertain his return to MHS.

i appreciate all he did.  He revived us when we were on life support. 

But we’re in a different place now Vs 2013. 

Hope to hear something concrete this week.  Exciting times. 

14 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

I hear a former OC from Dallas needs a job 😂

A former Cowboy named Scott?  Maybe Jerry will go a different route with Dak and Zeke by hiring an Alvarez/Gibson type to run the offense. Wonder how that offense would do in the big league nowadays? Especially being the only team running it. 

So much more to being a Head Football Coach than just X's and O's.

The HFC must provide leadership and direction for the entire football program (must have a vision), as well as all of the Administrative duties that go along with managing the entire program (must be organized), and situational coaching on Friday nights (must be able to stay in the moment), and ultimately an understanding of a System on both Offense and Defense that puts your kids in the best position to be successful.

Keeping this Offensive staff together for a run in 2019 should be paramount in the decision making process.

28 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Heard 2 more names today. 

One has two titles. Small classification. 

Another is a 5A OC in the Houston area.  Young guy.

Sure hope to hear something this week

If it’s not one of the coordinators it sure as heck better not be a coordinator of another place... just saying.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Heard 2 more names today. 

One has two titles. Small classification. 

Another is a 5A OC in the Houston area.  Young guy.

Sure hope to hear something this week

Is the one with two titles the same one that was in the running last time?

On 1/18/2019 at 8:18 AM, jbabi86 said:

I realize Marshall is bring back a few pieces... but a run at the title???? There are sooo many variables that come into play. Why would a individual put off a year of their career to do that, especially when the chance of possibly winning it is so slim. The coaches have to take into account their livelihood and opportunity while it is in front of them. To better their position, accomplish a professional goal and to possibly increase their financial standing should be what they are looking at as an individual as the opportunity window may not be there next year after a failed attempt. 

Here is the question at hand... what looks better?  An OC who leaves to be an OC somewhere else and goes like 5-5 and misses the playoffs or is stuck in OC status for 5 more years or....

OC who gets passed up, passes on other OC jobs to see what he can do with his talent, and goes 3-4 rounds deep?

OC with commitment is the one I choose for the next HC when i go looking... and playoff wins sure as hell won’t hurt the resume 

3 hours ago, MattStepp said:

I can't imagine Josh Gibson leaving PG this year..he's got as sweet a set up as anyone..he's making great money, he's coordinators have a sweet set up and they are loaded....if he's leaves PG it'll be for an elite 6A type gig

Agree 100%. 

Stay where he is... make another run... and he can jump up two classes instead of one. 

I doubt Keeling would go this time. If he didn’t go last time. People all around said he pulled his name out last time. But I heard he knew he wasn’t getting it. Could just be rumored. But he has a pretty good set up and continues to win every yr. I doubt he moves 

11 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Here is the question at hand... what looks better?  An OC who leaves to be an OC somewhere else and goes like 5-5 and misses the playoffs or is stuck in OC status for 5 more years or....

OC who gets passed up, passes on other OC jobs to see what he can do with his talent, and goes 3-4 rounds deep?

OC with commitment is the one I choose for the next HC when i go looking... and playoff wins sure as hell won’t hurt the resume 

If the OC doesnt get the job he will leave. Thats how this works. Id imagine Mathis would want him at Desoto, and there is alot of talent there for him to not go "5-5". You are assuming he would only get an "average" job if he wasn't in Marshall.

What looks better? A DC who leaves to be a DC somewhere else and goes like 5-5 and misses the playoffs or is stuck in DC status for 5 more years or....

DC who gets passed up, passes on other DC jobs to see what he can do with his talent, and goes 3-4 rounds deep?

DC with commitment is the one I choose for the next HC when i go looking... and playoff wins sure as hell won’t hurt the resume.

Smoaky said the internal search would go through today. I wonder who else is interviewing other than the DC/OC. 

If it’s the OC’s prerogative to leave if he doesn’t get it.... then so be it. 

One person was not the sole reason we’ve been successful. 

This is a group effort. 

And a silent or inferred ultimatum will rub most people the wrong way. 

Abd none of us know for sure what he’s thinking.  He deserves a fair shake.  

And here is something to consider:  young guy from Austin with ties to a successful 6A program.   Sounds like we could be doing this AGAIN in a few years.

Seems to be a trend you see across the state. Metropolitan  guys want to be in metro areas. 

Guys from smaller towns may prefer smaller towns.  

Should be interesting. 

20 minutes ago, rocketpop said:

If the OC doesnt get the job he will leave. Thats how this works. Id imagine Mathis would want him at Desoto, and there is alot of talent there for him to not go "5-5". You are assuming he would only get an "average" job if he wasn't in Marshall.

What looks better? A DC who leaves to be a DC somewhere else and goes like 5-5 and misses the playoffs or is stuck in DC status for 5 more years or....

DC who gets passed up, passes on other DC jobs to see what he can do with his talent, and goes 3-4 rounds deep?

DC with commitment is the one I choose for the next HC when i go looking... and playoff wins sure as hell won’t hurt the resume.

Smoaky said the internal search would go through today. I wonder who else is interviewing other than the DC/OC. 

I have a question, when evaluating an OC or a DC for a head coaching job, does the decision maker look at wins and losses?

Or do they simply look at production, points scored vs. points allowed?

Both of these Coordinators have been associated with some winning programs and have seen the right way to do things from a leadership standpoint.

Does the decision come down to personality?

From what I know.... both of them are outstanding coordinators with equally outstanding personalities and qualities you want in a coach. 

I have only  heard positive things about both.  Either would be fantastic choices.  Can’t go wrong. 

But I think they are looking for someone for the long haul so we aren’t doing this again in 4-5 seasons. 

1 minute ago, Mavchamp said:

If it’s the OC’s prerogative to leave if he doesn’t get it.... then so be it. 

One person was not the sole reason we’ve been successful. 

This is a group effort. 

And a silent or inferred ultimatum will rub most people the wrong way. 

And here is something to consider:  young guy from Austin with ties to a successful 6A program.   Sounds like we could be doing this AGAIN in a few years.

Could be wrong.   But not seems to be a trend you see across the state. Metropolitan  guys want to be I metro areas. 

Guys from smaller towns may prefer smaller towns.  

Should be interesting. 

I don't think anybody is throwing down ultimatums, it is just hard to stay at a place when you don't feel like you are wanted. When as a Coordinator you interview for the Head Coach job and don't get it,  you tend to feel like you are inadequate in the eyes of leadership. It is difficult to swallow your pride as a professional when you have been passed over. And, the other Coordinator who got the job usually sees you as a competitor and a threat to his power, which makes for an uncomfortable working environment. 

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Claude Mathis back to DeSoto, Marshall hires OC Jake Griedl
  • Smoaky unpinned this topic