⚾️ 2019 BASEBALL: District 22-2A | Region 3

StingEmALTO

1 hour ago, StingEmALTO said:

Yes sir! This weather (minus the cold) kind of takes me back to football season! 😂 

Joaquin able to play any?

I think baseball has gotten a couple of games in, but I don’t have any results. Softball had to postpone a district game vs. Douglas to April due to field conditions. 

On 3/4/2019 at 10:21 PM, trueblue82 said:

I think baseball has gotten a couple of games in, but I don’t have any results. Softball had to postpone a district game vs. Douglas to April due to field conditions. 

I heard that Joaquin defeated Douglass girls 1-0 in 9 innings.  Good game!  That ALTO kid (the pitcher!) is doing great for the Lady Rams! lol  She's a baller!

9 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

I heard that Joaquin defeated Douglass girls 1-0 in 9 innings.  Good game!  That ALTO kid (the pitcher!) is doing great for the Lady Rams! lol  She's a baller!

Yeah she’s a gamer for sure. Lucky for her to get up here to Ram Country. The core of our softball team is freshmen and sophomores. We should be pretty strong for the next few years. I kinda figured on Douglas being our biggest competition in district, but there are some really good teams in Region 3. 

On 3/8/2019 at 10:38 AM, JV_COACH said:

So how does Big Sandy of the Indians look in Baseball this year?

Also they should start baseball in March, maybe late March. Cold weather baseball and track is not fun at all.

It seems like they move the start of baseball/ softball up every year. Now we’ve got schools having to postpone district baseball games because their players are still on the hardwood, and getting in tournaments (which is where coaches find out a lot about their teams) is getting more and more difficult due to crazy February weather. 

On 3/7/2019 at 4:43 PM, trueblue82 said:

Yeah she’s a gamer for sure. Lucky for her to get up here to Ram Country. The core of our softball team is freshmen and sophomores. We should be pretty strong for the next few years. I kinda figured on Douglas being our biggest competition in district, but there are some really good teams in Region 3. 

Yes sir!  Region 3 AND District 22 are tough, especially with the addition of Garrison to the 9-team district!  Gonna be a slugfest!  I heard Joaquin lost a close one to Cushing.  Alto girls have Joaquin today and Cushing tomorrow.  Hope Alto can muddy the standings a bit! lol

On 3/8/2019 at 10:38 AM, JV_COACH said:

So how does Big Sandy of the Indians look in Baseball this year?

Also they should start baseball in March, maybe late March. Cold weather baseball and track is not fun at all.

Dallardsville Big Sandy looks TOUGH.  Alto played them early on and got their butts handed to them.  Much of our problem in that game was self-inflicted, but I won't take anything away from the defending champs.  They were solid, and I believe had 7 returning starters from last year's championship team.  I expect them to challenge again.

Alto is settling in and making progress. Getting personnel into position to be stronger and just playing better overall.   Only one senior on the team and some talented kids in the lower grade levels (JV is doing really well and some salty 8th graders coming plus 2 ninth grade starters now) means we should be competitive, especially in the next few years.

• Like 1

GAME DAY! (3/12/2019)

The Alto Yellowjackets (5-4) will host the #2 Douglass Indians (7-0) in the District 22-2A District Opener today at 6:00 p.m. at Jacket Field.  The JV will host Little Centerville at 2:00 p.m.

NEXT UP:

Wednesday, 3/13/19 (Come get a hamburger for lunch!)

* 11:00 a.m. JV GAME: Westwood JV @ Alto JV
     * 1:00 p.m. VARSITY:  Westwood @ Alto

Follow the Jackets on GameChanger: https://gc.com/t/spring-2019/alto-yellowjackets-jv-5c5997266cf46400212ad7e1

3-12-2019 - Douglass @ Alto.jpg

Cushing has a new pitcher that is 6-6 ft talk at 15 yrs old and sophomore....  they say he has been going to school there since JR high.  He didn’t play last year for some reason....  but the kid can throw...name is Gabe Leblanc.

9 minutes ago, HulaKat said:

Cushing has a new pitcher that is 6-6 ft talk at 15 yrs old and sophomore....  they say he has been going to school there since JR high.  He didn’t play last year for some reason....  but the kid can throw...name is Gabe Leblanc.

Wow! 6’ 6”?? He can practically reach across the plate! 😂 Sounds like they had a slugfest with Groveton in the opener. Alto goes to Cushing Tuesday in what I expect to be a good game. We have to clean up our errors though. Douglass had one earned run in our game with them Tuesday. Errors killed us in the first two innings especially. 😬 Can’t make those mistakes against a really good team. 

I sure am glad our district schedule is set up as a “best of 3” this year. A “series” makes things more interesting in my opinion; the best team usually emerges. 

10 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

Wow! 6’ 6”?? He can practically reach across the plate! 😂 Sounds like they had a slugfest with Groveton in the opener. Alto goes to Cushing Tuesday in what I expect to be a good game. We have to clean up our errors though. Douglass had one earned run in our game with them Tuesday. Errors killed us in the first two innings especially. 😬 Can’t make those mistakes against a really good team. 

I sure am glad our district schedule is set up as a “best of 3” this year. A “series” makes things more interesting in my opinion; the best team usually emerges. 

I agree with the district set up, also.  

Cushing has played middle of the road 3A teams up until Tuesday evening.  

What I don’t like is the way they have the 2A and 1A teams mixed in together .... I guess there just isn’t enough teams to set up a district of 6 or 7 teams that have to compete for a playoff spot.  The way it’s set up all the teams make the first round no matter what happens.

so the best of three at least helps with your seeding In the playoff bracket. 

Yea that Cushing-Groveton game went 8 innings and it was a well, played-out game on both ends... a couple of errors on both sides... mainly bad decisions and wild throws afterwards.  That kid didn’t walk anyone...  and 11 strikeouts.

it just amazes me how fast these kids grow and how big they get over a year or so.

Goid luck to the Jackets and we’ll see how it all plays out.

• Like 1

GAME DAY! (3/15/2019)

The Alto Yellowjackets will host the New Waverly Bulldogs today in non-district action at Jacket Field.  The JV game time is 4:30 p.m. with the Varsity at 7:00 p.m.

NEXT UP:

Monday, 3/18/19 - JV ONLY (double header)

* 5:00 p.m. JV GAME:  Alto JV @ Lufkin Freshmen
     * 7:00 p.m. JV GAME:  Alto JV @ Lufkin Freshmen

Tuesday, 3/19/19 - District 22-2A

* 4:00 p.m. JV GAME: Alto JV @ Cushing JV
     * 6:15 p.m. VARSITY:  Alto @ Cushing

Follow the Jackets on GameChanger: https://gc.com/t/spring-2019/alto-yellowjackets-jv-5c5997266cf46400212ad7e1

3-15-2019 - New Waverly @ Alto.jpg

10 hours ago, HulaKat said:

I agree with the district set up, also.  

Cushing has played middle of the road 3A teams up until Tuesday evening.  

What I don’t like is the way they have the 2A and 1A teams mixed in together .... I guess there just isn’t enough teams to set up a district of 6 or 7 teams that have to compete for a playoff spot.  The way it’s set up all the teams make the first round no matter what happens.

so the best of three at least helps with your seeding In the playoff bracket. 

Yea that Cushing-Groveton game went 8 innings and it was a well, played-out game on both ends... a couple of errors on both sides... mainly bad decisions and wild throws afterwards.  That kid didn’t walk anyone...  and 11 strikeouts.

it just amazes me how fast these kids grow and how big they get over a year or so.

Good luck to the Jackets and we’ll see how it all plays out.

I agree with everything you said including the 1A/2A teams mixed together.  I understand that it helps the 1A teams build a schedule and also allows more schools (1A AND 2A) advance to the playoffs (good or bad).  This year the 2As only play the 1As one time, which is a better deal for everyone; I guess making that move allowed the 2As to do a "best of 3" with each other................a win-win for everyone!

Good luck to Cushing as well!  The season is ticking right along so should get interesting fast!

GAME DAY! (3/19/2019)

The Alto Yellowjackets will travel to Cushing today to take on the Bearcats in District 22-2A action.  The JV game time is 4:30 p.m. while the Varsity plays at 6:45 p.m.

NEXT UP:

Friday, 3/22/19 - District 22-2A

* 6:00 p.m. - VARSITY:  Kennard @ Alto

Saturday, 3/23/19

* 1:00 p.m. - VARSITY: All Saints @ Alto (non-district)
     * 11:00 a.m./1:00 p.m. - JV:  Alto JV @ Groveton JV (District 22-2A)

3-19-2019 - Alto @ Cushing.jpg