2019 Marshall Maverick Thread

Mavchamp

Just listened to the podcast coach Greidl had and thought it would be a great place to start a new thread since we got a new sheriff in town.

The guy is dynamic....and he has a one heck of a vision.  Going to try and put as much of it down as I can.

1.  Mav Maker is underway.  Longtime Mav fans will recall this because this was something Dennis Parker instituted and was continued through the Bill Harper years.  It's back.... and as grueling as ever.  This is paving the way for spring ball, which will be coming in April.

2.  A strength and conditioning coach has been hired and will be joining the program after spring break.  He will be in charge of both boys and girls sports and will have a class with each sport during the day.  Meaning he will have a class for boys basketball, girls soccer, softball, baseball....etc etc.  This class will be in addition to the athletic class.  It will begin next fall with the new school schedule.

3.  Keeping the staff together.  It's still early....but it sounds like most of the staff will remain intact.  That's HUGE.... the last time that happened was when Harper took over from Parker in 1991.... and Harper remains the winningnest coach in MHS history.  Nice not having to start over from scratch again.

4.  The Legacy Campaign is in full swing.  It involves 3 projects at this time.  No tax money.  Being raised privately by the athletic department.  They include:

1. Project 1-  Upgrade the weight room.  This is expected to be completed by May so it will be ready for use for summer workouts.  COST: $315,000.
  2. Project 2- Installing turf at Maverick Baseball field, Lady Mav Softball field, and practice field A & B behind Maverick Stadium.  Wants to attract more baseball/softball playoffs, summer league, 7 on 7 etc.    COST: $2.5 Million.
  3. Project 3:  Construction of an indoor practice facility.  120 yard facility.  COST: Aprox $1.5 million.

5.  Spring Ball will begin April 23.  Will culminate with the Red and White game followed by a community-wide BBQ.

6.  Rumors of 7th grade football returning to MJHS.  Stay tuned.  Esp after the huge success of both 8th grade teams last year.  The new school is amazing and they have some fantastic practice fields in place for them on campus.

7.  Heard some rumbles about shaking up the schedule in 2020.  Probably won't see any realignment changes in the East Texas 5A Div II district anytime soon.  No one to move up or down into the district.  MP seems to be the only wild card that could move into either Div II district (with SS, RC, etc).  The current football district will likely stay the same for the foreseeable future.  This opens the door for some schedule changes.  Have heard there is some interest of dropping Tyler Lee and picking up JT in 2020.  A DFW match-up would be interesting.  We shall see.  Would be an upgrade for sure.  No word on Longview or Carthage games.  Not likely to not see them change.

Lots of good stuff.  Sorry so long....but wanted to put all this in one place since it was all scattered over multiple threads.

More recruiting news coming in....I'll post that in the coming days.  More offers to underclassmen and such.

Now.....let's see if we can get MISD to get after those restrooms and concessions at Maverick Stadium.  Maybe the lights too. I figure there will be some work done over the summer like the pressbox was last year and the video board 2 years ago.

Stay tuned....... more work to be done!

Great time to be a Mav!

• Like 1

Coach Griedl is thinking outside the box for the proposed practice facility.  

He’s looking at something similar to what they just completed at UAB. 

It’s covered.... So practices can continue during inclement weather, but without the cost of heating or cooling a 120 yard area. 

It’s more of a pavilion.  It could be used by all sports teams year round.  Band, drill team, ROTC, and other groups could benefit too. 

Interesting concept. Surprised this isn’t more common. AND it’s a standard sized football field instead of a portion like many indoor facilities. 

I like it.  

45DA46A9-C7D4-45B6-AA32-36FD9017C28C.jpeg

• Like 3

Inside view of the covered facility that UAB just constructed.

Coach Greidl is working with local sponsors and fundraising to get all 3 legacy projects completed without the use of a bond or tax money. 

Interested to see where this would be constructed.  Can't be behind the home side of the stadium because he's looking to turf practice field A&B.  My guess would be behind the athletic center.... or behind the scoreboard.

It's an interesting concept..... apparently a lot of high schools and smaller colleges have contacted UAB about it.

The article I just read stated that most indoor facilities run about $15M..... and this can be built for $3-4M.

I know several schools in East Texas have indoor facilites (Kilgore, Lufkin, Tatum)..... $15M seems kinda steep... is that accurate.  Can't imagine ISD's being keen on that kind of pricetag.  This seems a viable cheaper option for sure.

uab2.jpg

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Coach Greidl is working with local sponsors and fundraising to get all 3 legacy projects completed without the use of a bond or tax money. 

Interested to see where this would be constructed.  Can't be behind the home side of the stadium because he's looking to turf practice field A&B.  My guess would be behind the athletic center.... or behind the scoreboard.

It's an interesting concept..... apparently a lot of high schools and smaller colleges have contacted UAB about it.

The article I just read stated that most indoor facilities run about $15M..... and this can be built for $3-4M.

I know several schools in East Texas have indoor facilites (Kilgore, Lufkin, Tatum)..... $15M seems kinda steep... is that accurate.  Can't imagine ISD's being keen on that kind of pricetag.  This seems a viable cheaper option for sure.

uab2.jpg

Here's some prices I've found for some indoors: 

https://www.chron.com/news/education/article/Texas-high-school-s-most-expensive-indoor-10796547.php

Some of those are insane. 

Must be nice being rich lol. 

I like how we’re going about this. Grassroots. Build it up. Pull the community together. 

Its how Marshall usually gets things done (courthouse, depot, city hall auditorium). 

Kids will have something to be proud of. 

20 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

uab2.jpg

Honestly, this is way better than the traditional indoor setup.

On 2/20/2019 at 10:40 PM, Mavchamp said:

2.  A strength and conditioning coach has been hired and will be joining the program after spring break.  He will be in charge of both boys and girls sports and will have a class with each sport during the day.  Meaning he will have a class for boys basketball, girls soccer, softball, baseball....etc etc.  This class will be in addition to the athletic class.  It will begin next fall with the new school schedule.

Does this mean the kids will have 2 athletic periods? The athletic class and a workout class? Or am i reading that wrong?

He’s picking up the excitement that was started by Clint Harper and continued by his predecessor. 

He’s got a good thing going early on. Can’t wait to see how it translates onto the field. 

Coach Greidl was no doubt the right hire.....as I said on another post he has embraced MHS like no other HFC/AD in my memory....would love to have played for this guy......obviously the kids love and respect him.......a lot of big school, high profile programs will be looking for a coach of this talent, but hopefully we’ll be able to hang on to him for a while......

I haven’t heard this type of energy in Marshall in a long time, if ever. A true vision. I personally love it. He also calls it like he sees it.. callin out the people who live in Marshall but “run away from the situation” rather than fixing it it. My favorite quote from it: “It takes grit and fortitude to fix something, but it’s easy to run away”. What does that teach the kids when parents train them to run away from a tough situation. Love his fire. We got the right guy. I’m fired up after hearing that! 

We got a big announcement coming...... heard it from 3 different sources.  None of them will spill the beans.  But something big.

I'm not in the know this time.  But it's apparently huge.  I'm anxious to find out.

MISD also switching to Under armour equipment.

----------

I've been told the money raising for Project 1 of the legacy program (weight room upgrades) is either completed or near completion ($315,000).  Should be in place in the next couple of months as they had hoped.  Is this is in fact true...wow.  That was a lot in a hurry.  Congrats to all involved! 

30 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

We got a big announcement coming...... heard it from 3 different sources.  None of them will spill the beans.  But something big.

That we're ending the Longview/Marshall series?!?!?!?!

• Thanks 1

Dear Mav fans, 

Cancel the season.  Disband the program. Be ashamed. We are unworthy to play the game of football. 

Our 600 program wins. Means nothing. 

18 game district winning streak.  Yawn.  

23 district titles.... 3 in the last 4 years.  Luck.  

1 point from being in the quarterfinals for the 11th time last season..... no reason to be proud of that.  

Don’t be excited about a young smart coach that’s bringing a fire for the community instead of his former gig.  

New facilites.... why?   Doesn’t matter. 

Why?

Because we can’t beat Longview in a meaningless September game.  

Why?

because we are inferior to Longview.  And thusly are wasting time and money on our folly. 

Take note  

We are unworthy.  

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Thanks 2
  • Angry 1