2019 Marshall Maverick Thread

Mavchamp

7 on 7 league was tonight in Marshall.  Again with Carthage, Evangel, and Woodlawn.

Results were the same as last week...... Mavs went 2-1 on the night with wins over Woodlawn and Evangel, but losing to Carthage.  

Marshall is now 4-2 in League play.... both losses to the Bulldogs.

They will be in Shreveport next Tuesday at Evangel.

I THINK we will be in Tyler Saturday for the SQT. 

----------
Sophomore Mike Olvera (?) has really turned some heads at QB.  This could make August interesting.

Sr. Burris got plenty of work at QB in tonight after missing last week from vacation.

Looks like JJ, Olvera, and Burris could make a fun QB competition come time for "two-a-days"

Team must have already let that ranking go to their head. Yes you got backup qbs and new players getting reps, but that team chemistry/discipline has taken a hit since Mathis departed. Props for Coach Randle on taking that Mathis role and getting the team refocused. 

Discipline and the former coach in the same sentence?

Surely you jest...... 

The free passes given out are the very reason we are where we are now. 

But I 100% agree that Randle is a beast on the staff... among several others to keep things in line. 

8 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

7 on 7 league was tonight in Marshall.  Again with Carthage, Evangel, and Woodlawn.

Results were the same as last week...... Mavs went 2-1 on the night with wins over Woodlawn and Evangel, but losing to Carthage.  

Marshall is now 4-2 in League play.... both losses to the Bulldogs.

They will be in Shreveport next Tuesday at Evangel.

I THINK we will be in Tyler Saturday for the SQT. 

----------
Sophomore Mike Olvera (?) has really turned some heads at QB.  This could make August interesting.

Sr. Burris got plenty of work at QB in tonight after missing last week from vacation.

Looks like JJ, Olvera, and Burris could make a fun QB competition come time for "two-a-days"

How did the other three teams finish up on the night?

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Surely you jest...... 

But I 100% agree that Randle is a beast on the staff... among several others to keep things in line. 

i been watching marshall football a long time. one thing i notice is coach g let his coaches coach. coach randle did what he does and got after them boys last night. coach g allowed him to do that cuz he knows thats a strength of coach randle. thats what will make the mavs great is we finally got a guy that lets coaches do what they individually good at and coach g doesnt worry about the image of it all. he goes to a different beat of the drum. when he speaks the kids listen and they know it aint empty words but that he means it and then he lets the rest of the staff play the roles they good at. one thing this staff wont put up with is the trash talking and you can see that in how coaches react now when they see it. last few years these kids did whatever they wanted and it cost them in big moments. i see that chainging

10 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

How did the other three teams finish up on the night?

I think Carthage was 3-0 on the night.  Marshall 2-1.  ECA 1-2.  Woodlawn 0-3.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Surely you jest...... 

I meant in game discipline. The one thing Mathis did well was letting his team (and rest of stadium) hear his displeasure. 

Pretty happy with the pool for Tyler.  

JT is JT...... PT annually has one of the top offenses in East Texas it seems.... and Lee should be a tough match too. 

1.  Interested to see how many QB's get snaps for the Mavs.  2 have gotten most of the snaps this summer.
2.  Interested to see if a third will finally see some action this summer.  Hearing he may.
3.  See how the "Defense" (as defense goes in 7 on 7) does against some good QB's.  

Random updates.....

________

Mavs are 4-2 in their 7 on 7 league.  Both losses to Carthage. 

They went 2-1 in pool play at the Tyler SQT; Beating Sulphur Springs and Tyler Lee B.... but lost to JT in a blowout.

League play will start up again tomorrow in Shreveport (I believe at Evangel, not sure).

Starting QB may be back in action for tomorrow..... if not, definitely next week in the final round of league play.

-------

Workouts have been highly attended over the summer.  Strength and conditioning coach has been working with the male and female athletes.  

_____

With project #1 of the Legacy Program now completed..... work has begun on projects #2 (turf baseball and softball fields) and #3 (covered practice facility).  Sounds like the community is really stepping up to the plate on these.  

---------

Work on the new track will be starting soon and will be completed before the first home game Vs. Tyler Lee.  Work on the Tennis center is underway.
--------

Was told they are working on finalizing the site for the scrimmage game in August.   As soon as that is done...  the when, where, and who will be announced.  

--------

A couple more coaching positions to be filled soon.  Amazingly small turnover considering the loss of a HC.  Staff is almost completely intact from last season....but with some additions.  A blessing not having to start over from scratch.

_____

All I got for now.  Slow time of year for news.  About to get slower with 7 on 7 wrapping up.

Nothing but predicting and prognosticating until September!

Mavs went 2-1 again last night in their 7on7 league. 

Lost to Carthage.... beat Evangel and Woodlawn. 

Marshall is 6-3 in league play. All three losses have been to Carthage. 

They are 8-4 for the summer.... including the Tyler SQT. 

Had heard they were going to go to the Rowlett SQT this weekend.... but they aren’t on the schedule.  

Final week of league play will be next Tuesday.

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Had heard they were going to go to the Rowlett SQT this weekend.... but they aren’t on the schedule.  

Did JJ play?

14 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Has Carthage been beat in league play? I saw some highlights of Dixon. Looked like he was tearing it up. Carthage didn’t play in a SQT. Would’ve been interesting to see what they would’ve done at state in DII.

Marshall vs Carthage this year might be the game of the preseason in ETX. Marshall should have a loss to 6a DII state title favorite Longview, but Carthage should come in undefeated. That one is going to be fun. To be honest that’s the game I am most interested to see this year.

Rowlett SQT Pools

Pool A
Rowlett
Richardson Pearce*
Wylie East
North Forney

Pool B
Plano East
Dallas Wilson
Lake Dallas
Colleyville Heritage

Pool C
Plano West
Mesquite Horn
Grapevine
Frisco Lebanon Trail

Pool D
North Garland
McKinney
Lovejoy*
West Mesquite

Pool E
Belton
Mansfield Timberview
Greenville
Coppell*

Pool F
Lindale
Sulphur Springs
Midland Lee
Rockwall-Heath*

Pool G
Tyler Lee
Denison
Wylie
Kaufman

Pool H
Mansfield*
Waco Midway
Marshall
Corsicana

Mavs went 2-1 at the Rowlett SQT.  

Lost to Belton 39-14

Beat Coppell 20-19

Beat Greenville 20-6. 

Marshall 10-5 overall for 7 on 7 this summer. 

Last week of league will be Tuesday night in Shreveport. 

Not too shabby considering one of their most important offensive weapons has been on the sidelines all month.  

Last night's 7 on 7 was cancelled due to weather.

Mavs ended the 7 on 7 season with a 10-5 record.  3 losses to Carthage, one to JT, and one to Belton.

3 wins each over Evangel and Shreveport Woodlawn, wins over Coppell, Greenville, Sulphur Springs, and Tyler Lee B.

Headed into the long part of the season where we don't hear much until practice starts in August.

Haven't been by to look....but work at the Stadium was suppose to start at the end of the month.

Happy Summer everyone.