2019 Marshall Maverick Thread

Mavchamp

It great they have updated the weight room, now they are moving on to resurface the track, tennis courts, and fields but when is it going to be the rest rooms, concession stands, and lighting. It should be an embarrassment to MISD to let these things get in such terrible shape. The least they could do is power wash the stands, they are filthy. We talk Maverick pride but the stadium reflects otherwise. We are one of the few stadiums with no opposing change room. The fans are what pump the money into this program which means to keep them coming keep the facility up. Just an observation that needs addressing.

I agree 1000%. 

Im excited about all the upgrades and improvements too.  

IMHO... the restrooms, concessions, and lighting are higher priorities than some of the other things we’ve completed and are working on. 

But I understand the need to do all this in small pieces.  Otherwise a bond would be needed.... and an athletic bond would be nearly impossible to pass.  

So they are paying for it in pieces from the general fund.   

The press-box was a MUST.  And it got done.  

But after the track is done.... those three projects should be a top priority IMHO.

Article on new OL coach
https://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/sports/whitaker-ready-to-get-started-in-new-role/article_623bd266-9693-11e9-bf8b-9b65c325567a.html?fbclid=IwAR1r3E_7T3senILcgfBcsmAHCVbamN6LeOxKVpGRypjv9cAxJoHcjdTVO98

Article on OC Coach Zach Quinlan:
https://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/sports/quinlan-steps-in-as-new-oc/article_a467e262-9376-11e9-805a-bff5ce678045.html

-------------
Summer workouts are in full swing with 7 on 7 wrapped up.
--------------

Players that missed spring ball or 7 on 7 due to injuries, summer school, suspensions, etc, etc have rejoined the team.  Everyone is present and accounted for.

Now we just need to get to August and see where this crazy fun ride will take us!

10 minutes ago, The Real Mavfan said:

Not to mention the transfers that have joined the team as well. Im not going to bring up names but they will be some big time contributors!

Yeah.  I don’t consider them transfers though. 

Many are kids that live in Marshall and have gone to school elsewhere. 

I consider it coming home.  Where they should have been to begin with. 😂

Sometimes folks gotta find out on their own that the grass isn’t greener. 

Especially if the grass is purple, maroon, or orange.   

I THINK the last opening was filled last week for the LB coach.   But don’t quote me on that. 

I’m amazed at how little turnover there was on this staff for losing a HC. 

I think it’s a combination of knowing the potential of this team this year..... and the leadership Griedl has shown.

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

I expect it this week.  

Hoping to get my Dave Campbell’s tomorrow. 

I heard someone say they had already received their Dave Campbell in the mail. I got to wait till it’s out on the magazine rack.☹

You are right, they are hometown guys that have been going elsewhere so not really true transfers. 2 or 3 of them will be starters and 1 in particular will be a stud. Also the Phillips boys (dad is the conditioning coach) are going to be good players. Especially the older one that will probably start at lb.

Here are my early pre-season district superlatives picks from Marshall. Im not saying we will win them all but just my picks for possible winners:

Coach of Year - Jake Griedl, District MVP - QB JJ Green, Offensive MVP - WR Savion Williams, Offensive Newcomer - WR/RB DD Williams, Defensive MVP - DL Michael Washington, Defensive Newcomer - DB Lyrick Rawls

Lots of talent all over the field  

Have to make it translate on the field though.  Talk is talk and things on paper are on paper.

The team has gotta make it happen when it counts.  

If JJ gels with his new WRs and the OL does well....  could be even more explosive than last season.   Which is insane to think about considering our offense was one of the best in school history. 

Defense should be solid (as I was scolded into accepting in a previous post).  But still some holes to fill. 

I’m excited.  Should be fun.  

Just need players, staff, and fans to keep their heads on straight and focused on what’s important.  

24 minutes ago, Mavs03 said:

August 1st is when season ticket holders can pick up their tickets. 

I might be switching seats this season.... first time my family has moved seats in a long...long...LONG time.  

If I can get a +1 added to our seats..... they will stay.  But if we can't... looks like I'll have to move to get the extra seat.  

Back in the day they had 6 seats....I guess we should have held on to them.  

Gonna be a long month.

-----

No luck finding a DCTFB Mag so far.  Should have ordered online I guess.

1 minute ago, The Real Mavfan said:

I havent found one yet either. Yea i need to add a seat to my season tickets this year too. Sure hope the seat next to mine is available! Had the same seats for over 20 years.

I really need a +2.... but I'm not going to be greedy.

Section C is tough to + anything without someone dying....lmao.

27 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I really need a +2.... but I'm not going to be greedy.

Section C is tough to + anything without someone dying....lmao.

I’m needing 2+ also grandson playing freshman year. So trying to get his parents seats with us. They are pumped up to start going to his games and varsity. That way they will have seats when he gets to the varsity level. I looked up DCTFB Mag and all it said was July for magazine stands.

I know there was a pretty significant bump in season ticket sales last season.... and the expectations weren't anywhere near where they are this season.  Things could get tight on the home side this season.  Reminiscent of the old days when the home side would sell out....forcing Mav fans to the visitor's side.

With Lee, Lindale, MP, and Nac coming to town.... I don't see any of those selling out the visitor's side.... or even coming close TBH.

But the Pine Tree game.... if the Pirates do what I THINK they will do this season..... could bring a HUGE crowd.  Especially if that game ends up being for the district championship.

Home side will probably sell out (or come close) for Lee (opener) and MP (Homecoming).  But the stadium COULD end up sold out with Pine Tree....IF it comes down to that final game.

Last time Maverick Stadium sold out for a NON-Longview game?
2008- Kilgore Vs. Marshall Bi-District playoff game

There have been some Hallsville games that have come close.....but not lately.  

11 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

But the Pine Tree game.... if the Pirates do what I THINK they will do this season..... could bring a HUGE crowd.  Especially if that game ends up being for the district championship.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment imo. PT does not travel. It would take them coming into that game a perfect 9-0, and even then I don't think they sell out the away side.