2019 Marshall Maverick Thread

Mavchamp

If the 613 wins are accepted as correct, it would move Marshall to 46th overall in Texas for all classes 1A-6A.  

It would place them 10th in 5A (combined divisions) knocking Cleburne to 11th. 

Texas High is #9 in 5A at 620 wins. 

Depending on how well or how poorly things go for Marshall and Texas High in 2019.... we could claim the #9 slot in 5A. 

Good stuff. 

7 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

A 16 game swing is a huge swing in results...even with missing games etc.

That’d be pretty crazy imo. 

Agree. Jumping from 602 to 613 is huge. 

My question is the difference in the number of games.  It’s only a couple. But still. 

Got a guy in Marshall doing some big time work from 1908 to 1930 thanks to new additions by the Marshall News Messenger. 

Still have to confirm with Coach, but I’ve been told by 2 people in the know we have a scrimmage set for the week before the Lee game. 

Will be in the metroplex.  And if it’s against who I’ve been told... it a blast from Maverick Football Past. 

Details as soon as I get them! 

Per Coach Griedl:

SCRIMMAGE:
Thursday August 22 at Forester Field in Dallas

Marshall will participate in a three team scrimmage with Dallas Carter and Dallas WIlson.

9th and JV at 6.

Varsity at 7:15

-------
Interesting notes.... 

This will be the first meeting between Marshall and Dallas Carter since 1993.  Marshall last played Dallas WIlson in 1947.

The Mavs last played at Forester Field in 1997 Vs. Dallas Skyline.

14 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Per Coach Griedl:

SCRIMMAGE:

Marshall will participate in a three team scrimmage with Dallas Carter and Dallas WIlson.

9th and JV at 6.

-------
Interesting notes.... 

This will be the first meeting between Marshall and Dallas Carter since 1993.  Marshall last played Dallas WIlson in 1947.

That field was awful in 1997... had that real old school Houston Oilers Astroturf...

3 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

I guess when you’re scrambling to find a scrimmage you can’t be picky. 

Yet another little Easter Egg our former leader left us to deal with 

• Like 1

Just now, Eagleborn said:

No 4As around here would let y’all jump in?

Hard to catch things on an non-alignment year.

In the past....we've been able to cross the state line because Louisiana has their alignment opposite years as Texas.  

But Killeen Ellison taking the option to not return to Marshall for this year's scrimmage hurt.  

Any scrimmage is better than none.  But I agree....I wish we had something close to the caliber we've had the past few years (Pleasant Grove, Carthage, etc).

On 4/4/2019 at 10:00 PM, mav01 said:

May have to get in on a 3 way scrimmage unless theyre wanting to travel again. 

This guy knew what he was talking about! Wonder if there were no local teams that would let us join their scrimmage or if we just wanted to get accustomed to traveling again? 

28 minutes ago, mav01 said:

This guy knew what he was talking about! Wonder if there were no local teams that would let us join their scrimmage or if we just wanted to get accustomed to traveling again? 

I think the travel is a BIG part of it IMHO.  I know it was part of the reason we went to Waco last season.  

Current alignment......there's not any REALLY LONG travel in this district for anyone.  No trips to Greenville, Sulphur Springs.....  I'd have to check mileage, but I think Marshall's longest trip is to Jacksonville.  MP to Nac is probably the longest for any team.

Mav road games this season are: Carthage, Longview, Jacksonville, Whitehouse, and Hallsville.  2 of those games are less than a 20 min drive.  One of them is just a tad over 30.  WH is barely an hour.  Jacksonville is the only "long" road trip. 

Getting one in August is big.... even if the opponent may be meh.  First long road trip in November is a bad idea IMHO.  

I honestly think that Waco trip helped us tremendously for that Black Friday afternoon game in Houston (*eye roll*) in Nederland's own backyard.

I won't be making it to Dallas for this sadly unless something drastic happens between now and then.  We shall see.

https://www.marshallmavericks.net/

More updates and information posted.  Getting things settled for the upcoming season.

Things I should get up and running in the next week or so:
1.  Maverick Staff updates
2.  Football Roster
3.  Complete football schedules (should include all 4 MJHS teams; 7th grade football returning this Fall)

4.   HUUUUGE historical upgrade coming.  More games added to the history.  Mav record Vs. EVERY team we've played.  Home/Away added.   Thanks to a TON of work by @burrows    Just trying to figure out how to convert an XLSX file into HTML and make it look good......  (I typed that and I'm not sure what it means LMAO).

5.  TONS of new pics coming next week (I hope) of the renovations and expansion of the Mav Lockeroom, the new Press Box, and Maverick Stadium (when the track is completed).  

Always open to suggestions and ideas too.

Thanks for all the encouragement I get from Mav Nation for doing something I consider a labor a love.

Go Mavs!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Per Coach Griedl:

SCRIMMAGE:

9th and JV at 6.

-------
Interesting notes.... 

That is not a safe area of town. Be careful.