2019 Marshall Maverick Thread

Mavchamp

Coach Griedl reported 187 in the football program 9-12th. 

I don’t think we have seen participation numbers that big since the late 1990’s.... back when MHS was around 1700 in enrollment. 

To have those numbers at 1500 is a credit to the hard work this staff is putting in and the excitement around the program. 

People want to laugh and poke fun at our “4000 new coaches”..... they want to yawn at the facility improvements, and they roll their eyes at Mav Nation’s excitement...... but at the end of the day they can kick rocks.  We got something special brewing. Something with roots and LONGEVITY.  Which is something we haven’t had since Bill Harper was here. 

Can't wait to see where this goes.  Not just in 2019..... but long term. 

🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Dear Marshall - when you get around to updating your visitor restrooms and visitor concessions, please consult with Jacksonville and take a trip over to see the new & improved Tomato Bowl in person.  It’s a 10 out of 10.

Rumor has it.... should happen this spring in time for the 2020 season. 

1 hour ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Dear Marshall - when you get around to updating your visitor restrooms and visitor concessions, please consult with Jacksonville and take a trip over to see the new & improved Tomato Bowl in person.  It’s a 10 out of 10.

Until they get a parking lot, they can’t get a 10. Lincoln not in the White House. We drive cars now. 

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, Pack007 said:

Until they get a parking lot, they can’t get a 10. Lincoln not in the White House. We drive cars now. 

Napa Parking Lot worked great for us.  Short walk and quick exit.  Now if you are someone of importance you can get a visitor parking pass.  Obviously I’m not important.

• Like 1

Mavs drop from #4 to #7.  A generous take TBH.

It was ugly Friday.  Offensively and defensively.  

No easier this week or next against two Goliaths. 

0-3 is a real possibility.

Not the start we envisioned.  

BUTTTTT..... the goal remains before us.  These first three games are meant to make us better.  No matter the W/L record.  

I still firmly believe we can win district.  Still make some noise in November/December. 

Just gotta grind through. 

• Like 2

Soooo. JJ is out.  This shocks no one really.  TBH, it was more of a shock It’s lasted as long as it has.  

Unlike his predecessor, there are consequences to breaking team rules with our coach now. 

Broken team rules... not once   Not twice.  But several times.  

Losing your right to spring ball should have been a wake up call.  

Missing out on 7 on 7 should have been another.  

He was only suppose to be suspended this week Vs Longview.... but some were unwilling to accept that (pretty minor slap on the wrist) punishment.  

Now it’s over.

One person cannot be above the rest of the team.   I support this decision 100%.  No matter how difficult it may be to accept.  

Got away with murder the last two seasons.  Gravy train is done.  

IMHO.... we’re still much better than everyone in our district.  Even without him.  

We probably won’t reflect that this week or next.    It’ll be ugly.  Survive it and move on to the games that matter. 

Things will be in order in time for Lindale/district. 

It was a tough decision to make.  It was the correct one IMHO.  

I still believe in this team.  And this staff. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Soooo. JJ is out.  This shocks no one really.  TBH, it was more of a shock It’s lasted as long as it has.  

Unlike his predecessor, there are consequences to breaking team rules with our coach now. 

He was only suppose to be suspended this week Vs Longview.... but some were unwilling to accept that (pretty minor slap on the wrist) punishment.  

Now it’s over.

One person cannot be above the rest of the team.   I support this decision 100%.  No matter how difficult it may be to accept.  

IMHO.... we’re still much better than everyone in our district.  Even without him.  

We probably won’t reflect that this week or next.    It’ll be ugly.  Survive it and move on to the games that matter. 

Wow such a shame.  Reminds me of a similar situation in LE back in 2015.  No one player can be above the team no matter how good he is.  I’m sure the community will be split on this but kudos to the new coach for standing his ground.  Hopefully QB2 will have the full support of the team and will get up to speed quickly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Now it’s over.

I read the article online.  I will just say some things need to stay in house.  He’s not a pro player or a college athlete.  Still a high school kid.  If he’s off then get rid of him quietly.  

After hearing the stories, sounds like he probably should’ve been gone last year.  Good luck to the new kid that now has the job. 

• Like 1

Yea, don’t understand why it had to be made public like that. Not sure the new HC is doing things the right way if it’s true about what he did with the fans and now this...

But with social media....i guess it was going to come out anyways. Hate it for the Mavs though. Hope they can recover from it all and still have a good season. 

• Thanks 3

I imagine the local media called him and asked him about it point blank.  

Not answering truthfully would have looked shady. 

They called.  Asked if JJ was still with the team. He said no.... we have moved forward with another plan. 

I doubt he called them to make the announcement. 

But any other answer would have looked like he or the school was trying to hide something. 

They clearly had nothing to hide.  

And anyone paying attention knows that multiple chances have been given and nothing seems to change.   

What’s sad is that some are making this a racial issue. Which is absolutely ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I imagine the local media called him and asked him about it point blank.  

Not answering truthfully would have looked shady. 

They called.  Asked if JJ was still with the team. He said no.... we have moved forward with another plan. 

I doubt he called them to make the announcement. 

But any other answer would have looked like he or the school was trying to hide something. 

They clearly had nothing to hide.  

And anyone paying attention knows that multiple chances have been given and nothing seems to change.   

What’s sad is that some are making this a racial issue. Which is absolutely ridiculous. 

Today’s world just about makes everything a racial issue. It’s not my business, but from everything I’ve read out on media platforms, the kid just really had no discipline. It’s sad, especially when one is talented like that. I’m sure Marshall will be fine moving forward. Good luck to y’all 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Today’s world just about makes everything a racial issue. It’s not my business, but from everything I’ve read out on media platforms, the kid just really had no discipline. It’s sad, especially when one is talented like that. I’m sure Marshall will be fine moving forward. Good luck to y’all 

What’s really sad is that the head coach was on staff last year so he knows the kid and how he acts. I heard something serious happened last spring. He should’ve cut him loose then.  

He’s a young head coach so he will learn by trial and error.  You don’t have to answer questions to the media.  Just say you aren’t talking about it and move on to the next question.  

Unfortunately this will be made into a bigger deal than what it should be. With the Netflix series, all the locker updates being put on ESPN’s twitter, it’s the coach who’s putting the pressure on himself.  Now he has deliver!

Just my 2 cents! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ETxFB299 said:

What’s really sad is that the head coach was on staff last year so he knows the kid and how he acts. I heard something serious happened last spring. He should’ve cut him loose then.  

He’s a young head coach so he will learn by trial and error.  You don’t have to answer questions to the media.  Just say you aren’t talking about it and move on to the next question.  

Unfortunately this will be made into a bigger deal than what it should be. With the Netflix series, all the locker updates being put on ESPN’s twitter, it’s the coach who’s putting the pressure on himself.  Now he has deliver!

Just my 2 cents! 

Yeah I understand. He definitely could have said next question, let’s move on. But like Mavchamp said, heck there was nothing to hide. He answered it with truth. If the kid is big enough to be so undisciplined, he can’t get his head on straight enough to hold down his job as the teams starting QB, then it is what it is. Lay it out there. The whole thing is just a shame 

• Thanks 2

Ill just say this. If Griedl can hold the team together after the Lee debacle and through the JJ drama and after the whoopins we are about to receive the next couple of weeks then ill be the first to give him the credit because he will truly deserve it. But anything less than an undefeated district championship will be a disappointment.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ETxFB299 said:

Just my 2 cents! 

The reality is this head coach really can make Marshall into a consistent threat for their region and state every year if they will stick with him...he is going to be a great head coach and will build whatever program that supports him...East Texas doesn’t get this type of talent at head coach often....hope he is supported...

• Like 2