2019 Marshall Maverick Thread

Mavchamp

10 hours ago, ChiefMav said:

Green is playing at Woodlawn in Louisiana now for CJ Bryd... may be the craziest series of events I've ever seen... 

What?  So you get the boot and you can transfer anywhere you want, just to play football?  Once again, athletics takes precedence over academics.

14 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Huge red flag for any D1 school that has extended an offer to him.

My initial response to this reminds me of the Jim Mora melt down about Playoffs?  Playoff???  Playoffs???... etc etc 

but instead....  college???  COLLEGE??? College???   You gotta be kidding me. College????

• LOL! 3

17 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

My initial response to this reminds me of the Jim Mora melt down about Playoffs?  Playoff???  Playoffs???... etc etc 

but instead....  college???  COLLEGE??? College???   You gotta be kidding me. College????

Now that’s funny, I don’t care who you are! But oh so true!

22 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

He definitely has the talent. But yea....

9 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Talent no doubt. 

But there is the student part.  The team part. The discipline part.  The respect part..... etc etc 

Wish him the best at Woodlawn. 

Exactly. Not knowing all the details but I do know that if it was his decision to go he has let his team mates and an entire Mav Nation down and D1 schools don’t take to fondly to that. I do wish him well! Thanks for two fun years!

Expectations were a little too high to start the year. Yes we have a ton of returning starters, but we are breaking in a new coaching staff. Greidl was here, but after it was all said and done, we didn't retain very many coaches. In all my time watching our team break in a new head coach, I can't remember any of them starting their first season off on a good note. Parker, Southern, Harper, Mathis etc, all struggled early on in year 1. Greidl will adjust with this new staff and things will be fine when things start to really matter.

Losing JJ will hurt, but we have so much more talent on this offense. Hopefully the ball will be spread around now and be more diverse. Dede Williams, Savion Williams, Lyrik Rawls and a stable of running backs will step up and lead the offense in JJs absence. May take a few games to get in sync and find themselves, but when they do, lookout! Fix the fumble, bad snaps, excessive penalty issues and the offense will be just fine. All Lee had to do was run the ball 90 percent of the time, eat clock, and let Marshalls offense self destruct. If not for having some of the best wrs in the state, this game may not have been very close. They made plays after several bad snaps and penalties to get behind the chains. 

The defense will be special in time imo, but they are learning a brand new system. I didnt think they were very aggressive compared to last years scheme. The talent is there, but it will take a few games for them to play at full speed. Hopefully the new DC will change up some things after the Lee game. We need to be in attack mode instead of mostly  read and react.  The strength of this defense is team speed, with not a lot of size.  I don't think many teams will be able to pass the ball successfully on our secondary, so I'd like to see more aggression against the running game/Qb in the box. Can't just sit back and let teams run over you for 4-8 yards a pop. 

Let's sit back and support these kids and coaches. Give them time to gel together. Come late October/ November we will be discussing how much the team has improved while playing for another district championship. The big question then will be,  how far can we advance in the playoffs?  Beating the Huntsvilles, Ft Bend Marshalls of the world will be a much bigger challenge now. We will see how this new coaching staff and team adjusts over time.  Can they overcome adversity and be the same state contender they were supposed to be this year?  Stay tuned... 

• Like 2

Happy to see the two freshman teams hang tough with Longview in close games tonight.

The Lobos are the measuring stick for big school football in East Texas.  Battling them in close games is very encouraging in spite of the losses. 

As far as JV goes.... I can’t remember the last time we had a competitive JV team.  At least we’re consistently terrible at JV.  At least for the last 10-15 years.  

Mav fans should be pleased with the freshmen teams. I doubt either of them will face a better team than Longview all season. It will be interesting to see how they progress through district play. 

Even more excited to see how MJHS does since their numbers /participation explosion took place.  Especially the reboot of 7th grade ball.

————-

Last season the Mav varsity started the year (1-2) and went on to have a fantastic season. 

While this week is looking grim..... looking to next week, the Mavs have a chance to duplicate that (1-2) start.  No matter what happens this week, the Mavs need to go into the Carthage game with laser focus of winning that game. 

Do that.... and I think the bad juju of this week is washed away. 

We lost a talent no doubt, but there’s plenty of talent on this team.  We’ve lost starting QBs before.  Several times in the last 10 years.  

I’m hoping to be competitive this week.... but given how stacked Longview is combined with the turmoil of this week, it’s hard to fathom.

If a close game happens... then confidence can be taken into next week.  If a beat down proceeds.... move on and get better.  Carthage awaits and then Lindale  

I still think we can break the district winning streak record.  Still think we can win the district championship.

This week doesn’t make or break our season... on or off the field. 

🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼

5 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Happy to see the two freshman teams hang tough with Longview in close games tonight.

The Lobos are the measuring stick for big school football in East Texas.  Battling them in close games is very encouraging in spite of the losses. 

As far as JV goes.... I can’t remember the last time we had a competitive JV team.  At least we’re consistently terrible at JV.  At least for the last 10-15 years.  

Mav fans should be pleased with the freshmen teams. I doubt either of them will face a better team than Longview all season. It will be interesting to see how they progress through district play. 

Even more excited to see how MJHS does since their numbers /participation explosion took place.  Especially the reboot of 7th grade ball.

————-

Last season the Mav varsity started the year (1-2) and went on to have a fantastic season. 

While this week is looking grim..... looking to next week, the Mavs have a chance to duplicate that (1-2) start.  No matter what happens this week, the Mavs need to go into the Carthage game with laser focus of winning that game. 

Do that.... and I think the bad juju of this week is washed away. 

We lost a talent no doubt, but there’s plenty of talent on this team.  We’ve lost starting QBs before.  Several times in the last 10 years.  

I’m hoping to be competitive this week.... but given how stacked Longview is combined with the turmoil of this week, it’s hard to fathom.

If a close game happens... then confidence can be taken into next week.  If a beat down proceeds.... move on and get better.  Carthage awaits and then Lindale  

I still think we can break the district winning streak record.  Still think we can win the district championship.

This week doesn’t make or break our season... on or off the field. 

🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼

At least yall scored against them lol. Our game was 6-0 

Since there are some out there from Marshall (and other fanbases) calling out coach Griedl for refusing to talk to the local paper after losing to Longview last Friday.... I thought I’d set the record straight. 

He wasn’t being whiney, or a sore loser, or difficult.  

Before the QB situation had been made public, the MNM had interviewed him about JJ leaving MHS and transferring to Woodlawn HS. 

Coach said some things off the record that was not to be published.   Well.... those quotes WERE published.  And a few extra things were quoted that were never said  

The resulting article that announced the parting of ways needless to say exploded.  It drug not only Coach Griedl through the mud, but JJ as well thanks to social media. 

So yeah.... when you are misquoted, print things off the record, and fabricate facets of the story that were never said..... then yes.... you refuse to talk to that person after the game.  

They had to sensationalize the story to sell papers and increase clicks online.  

But the things being said about both the coach, and the player online by a bunch of armchair quarterbacks and know-it-all’s is mind boggling.  

Sensationalist.  Race-baiting at its finest.  Pot-stirring.  Overblown hot mess.  

I’d decline to comment too.  In fact... I’d probably tell them to kick rocks. 

The team and parents are circling the wagons around this staff.  It’s been pretty amazing to see it.  

If all the “experts” would sit down and shut up....   well. Never mind. We know that’s not going to happen. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Coach said some things off the record that was not to be published.   Well.... those quotes WERE published.  And a few extra things were quoted that were never said  

That's pathetic...  but considering the organization itself, not surprising. 

11 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Since there are some out there from Marshall (and other fanbases) calling out coach Griedl for refusing to talk to the local paper after losing to Longview last Friday.... I thought I’d set the record straight. 

If all the “experts” would sit down and shut up....   well. Never mind. We know that’s not going to happen. 

The more your program gets the spot light, the more you're going to get talked about.

Griedl is in his first year, and while I don't know what happened with the paper ordeal, he's still the head coach of a prominent football program in the East Texas area. He's going to get talked about whether he's winning or as he's currently doing, losing. 

No need to be passive aggressive (the other fanbases comment) about it all if you're going to post the story for us to learn about. We're not privy to all the information you know, so we comment on what we see. I thought it was a #### move not to talk to the media following y'all's loss, and said so on our team board. I feel differently now that you explained things, as it makes sense. 

Personally feel that a lot of Mavericks have taken things said about their football program very, very personally when things are not intended to be so. It's football, it's the program. It's not a slight on you as an individual or anything of the like. 

Marshall needs to enjoy their season for what it is at this point. A district championship is likely. Maybe a quarterback steps ups and does something, but I still think it'll be tough once you get out of East Texas to do much with the offense the way it is now. 

Hope you enjoy your much needed vacation this coming weekend.