2019 Marshall Maverick Thread

Mavchamp

All four new stadium light poles are up as of today.

The old ones are being dismantled.  This should be a HUGE improvement.

Can't wait to see how it looks.  May go to a game Thursday night just to check it out.

Was told the ones being taken out were installed at old Maverick Stadium in 1964.  They were moved to the current location in 1980.  So they were 55 years old.

I'd say they got their money's worth out of them.

--------

I was out of pocket this week with travels.  But still heard from several people throughout the week.

Obviously it's been a horrendous week for the players/school/staff. 

But everything I've heard is that the team is laser-focused and remarkably upbeat in spite of the 0-3 start.  They want to prove that they are better than they have shown.  

Not to be forgotten about the game Vs. Lindale is the chance to break the consecutive district game winning streak, which is currently tied at 17.  That record was set 1987-1990.  

So a touch of history can be made if things go well for the Mavericks.

Still upbeat and positive about this staff and team.  They've had a lot could derail the season.  Doesn't sound like any of it has thus far.  

2 hours ago, The Real Mavfan said:

Lindale will wear red #94 stickers on their helmets tonight in memory of the Marshall player. Class act!

The Star Steppers drill team from Lindale is also collecting red ribbon to had out to the drill team, band, and their fans in honor of Hayden. Eagle Nation is nothing short of a Super Class Act.

Maybe it was an optical illusion.... but it looked like the Lindale side of the stadium was sitting in the dark.

The field was lit up better than I've ever seen.  And the homeside was well lit too.  I was use to sitting in the dark because I was in the shadow of the pressbox.  With the middle light pole gone.... the shadow is gone.

The lighting seemed great for the field and the home side.  But it sure looked dark on the visitor's side.  No idea if it was or not.

I meant to say this last week, but it slipped my mind.

Not sure what all schools did the same, but there was a long moment of silence before our game with L-E in Atlanta on September 20th in remembrance of Hayden Blalock. Was a great showing by both teams to pay their respects to a fellow football brethren. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I meant to say this last week, but it slipped my mind.

Not sure what all schools did the same, but there was a long moment of silence before our game with L-E in Atlanta on September 20th in remembrance of Hayden Blalock. Was a great showing by both teams to pay their respects to a fellow football brethren. 

A huge thank you goes out to L-E and Atlanta for stopping and honoring Hayden. Both teams are a class act all the way! God bless y'all from the Maverick Nation!

A few stats for the team through 5 games

QB Savion Williams is 11-24 for 283 yards for 2 TDs and 0 INTs.   He also has 304 yards rushing with 6 TDs.  And 121 receiving and 2 TD's.
RB Joe Jordan has 295 yards on 35 carries (8.7 yd avg) with 2 TD's
RB Dom WIlliams has 294 yards on on 42 carries and 1 TD
WR Demarcus Williams 6 catches for 199 yards and 1 score
WR Lyric Rawls 6 catches for 162 and 2 scores
WR A. Brooks has 6 catches for 98 yards
Team has rushed for 1,015 yards.
Team has passed for 640 yards

Savion has only had 2 starts as QB.  He's done well in both (Lindale and Hallsville).  Had some drops by his WR's last Friday... otherwise he would easily be over 300 yards and have 3 TD's.  He's really come along in a short amount of time.  He may be a better scrambler than JJ was.   He's embraced his new role and has become the leader of the team.  The University of Arkansas is getting a winner.

Joe Jordan may be the biggest pleasant surprise of the season.  He's a TOUGH runner.

The WR corps has really come around the last 2 games.  They didn't get much attention.... particularly in the Longview and Carthage games because of the QB situation.  

Hopefully will see some continued attention to the passing game this week Vs. MP. 

Defense continues to improve.

Some BIG games coming up.... Nac, WH, PT.... and we can't overlook a trip to the Tomato Bowl, which has been a house of horrors for us in the past.

• 5 weeks later...

Several options. 

The freshman team won the district championship.  The JV went (5-2) in district and was very competitive.

Burris is in the wings.... 

And there are always new names and faces and diamonds in the rough hiding out waiting to be given a chance.  

Should be an exciting spring.  

This is officially Griedl’s team now.   I think we will see more of his stamp going forward and less of the previous coaches stamp.  And that’s exciting  

24 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Several options. 

The freshman team won the district championship.  The JV went (5-2) in district and was very competitive.

Burris is in the wings.... 

And there are always new names and faces and diamonds in the rough hiding out waiting to be given a chance.  

Should be an exciting spring.  

This is officially Griedl’s team now.   I think we will see more of his stamp going forward and less of the previous coaches stamp.  And that’s exciting  

You just can't stand Mathis huh ?