2019 Marshall Maverick Thread

Mavchamp

3 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

You're setting yourself up for disappointment imo. PT does not travel. It would take them coming into that game a perfect 9-0, and even then I don't think they sell out the away side.

You may be right. 

Trying to give them benefit of the doubt.... simply because an 8-1 or 9-0 PT team ranks in the same category as Yeti, Lochness, and unicorn. 

We don’t know how PT fans wii react if it happens. 

FINALLY got my copy of DCTF. 

Interesting predictions for the district.  Not TOO different from what I predicted in the 5A thread.... same teams in the playoffs...just in a different order.

Mavs are ranked #4 in the state for 5A Div II.

The magazine has Marshall picked to win the district championship........ and to advance to the 4th round (region finals) where we would lose to Fort Bend Marshall.

Lofty expectations.  While the Mavs have been to the region semis 4 times since 2007..... they haven't advanced to the region finals since the '04 and '05 seasons in which we were state runner ups.

Region III is LOADED for Division II..... Obviously FB Marshall and our Mavs have high expectations, but there is also Huntsville, Manvel, A&M Consolidated, PNG, Nederland, Lamar Consolidated, Brenham, and FB Willowridge.  

That's 10 teams in the top 25 in region III.  FIVE are in the top SEVEN.  

No easy road to a state title for anyone.

Whoever survives region III will likely get Corpus Christi Calallen in the semis..... and of course the 500lb gorilla Aledo in the state championship.

--------

So many fun things can happen this season if we take care of business:

1.  Breaking the record for consecutive district wins.  We tied it last season at 18.  A record set back in 1987-1990.  We can break the record Vs. Lindale with #19.

2.  Winning our third consecutive district title.  First time since 1988, 1989, 1990.  

3.  Make the playoffs for the 7th consecutive year, also a record.  36th time in program history.

Ready to get things started.  Should be a fun, fun ride.

SOOOOOO..... If DCTF is correct with their predictions for district finishes..... this is how the playoffs could look for the Mavs provided they take care of business.

Bi-District: Marshall Vs. Montgomery- This game would be at Maverick Stadium.  First ever meeting between the two programs.

Area: Marshall Vs. Nederland- A rematch from last year's area game.  My guess is that it WILL NOT be at NRG in Houston on a Friday afternoon like it was last season.  Nederland had a HUGE home advantage last season.  I don't think Coach Greidl will be as gracious with that as his predecessor was.  This game will likely be at SFA or in Lufkin on that Friday  night or  Saturday afternoon.

Region Semis: Marshall Vs. Huntsville/Manvel-  If the Hornets advance, obviously this would be a rematch of last season's heartbreaking 35-34 loss in the same round.  If Manvel returns to form, then it would be the first meeting in a battle of the Mavericks.  Any guess where this game would be.  Considering the 4:1 advantage Marshall had over Huntsville last season at The Star..... I doubt Coach Southern will want to repeat that scene even though his squad won last season.

Region Finals:  Marshall Vs. FB Marshall- It would be another first meeting if this comes to fruition.  Lufkin seems to be a reasonable place in the middle for both.   This is where DCTF predicts our Mavs to fall.

Semi-finals:  The winner of the Marshall Vs. Marshall game (if that game does indeed happen).... would likely face Corpus Christi Calallen in the semifinals.  Kerville Tivy is another annual contender that could take the spot... and Brenham is lurking in the shadows as well.

State Championship:  The favorites for region I and II are listed as Aledo, South Oak Cliff, Frisco Reedy, and Ennis.

Lots of ifs and maybes for all this to happen....but it's fun to speculate.

20 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

SOOOOOO..... If DCTF is correct with their predictions for district finishes..... this is how the playoffs could look for the Mavs provided they take care of business.

Bi-District: Marshall Vs. Montgomery- This game would be at Maverick Stadium.  First ever meeting between the two programs.

Area: Marshall Vs. Nederland- A rematch from last year's area game.  My guess is that it WILL NOT be at NRG in Houston on a Friday afternoon like it was last season.  Nederland had a HUGE home advantage last season.  I don't think Coach Greidl will be as gracious with that as his predecessor was.  This game will likely be at SFA or in Lufkin on that Friday  night or  Saturday afternoon.

Region Semis: Marshall Vs. Huntsville/Manvel-  If the Hornets advance, obviously this would be a rematch of last season's heartbreaking 35-34 loss in the same round.  If Manvel returns to form, then it would be the first meeting in a battle of the Mavericks.  Any guess where this game would be.  Considering the 4:1 advantage Marshall had over Huntsville last season at The Star..... I doubt Coach Southern will want to repeat that scene even though his squad won last season.

Region Finals:  Marshall Vs. FB Marshall- It would be another first meeting if this comes to fruition.  Lufkin seems to be a reasonable place in the middle for both.   This is where DCTF predicts our Mavs to fall.

Semi-finals:  The winner of the Marshall Vs. Marshall game (if that game does indeed happen).... would likely face Corpus Christi Calallen in the semifinals.  Kerville Tivy is another annual contender that could take the spot... and Brenham is lurking in the shadows as well.

State Championship:  The favorites for region I and II are listed as Aledo, South Oak Cliff, Frisco Reedy, and Ennis.

Lots of ifs and maybes for all this to happen....but it's fun to speculate.

Marshall vs CC- C would surely happen in Houston right?

27 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Marshall vs CC- C would surely happen in Houston right?

If we were to upset FB Marshall in the fourth round......  wowzers. 

But that's a good question.  I can only recall Marshall playing a team further away than Corpus Christi in the playoffs.  

Marshall to Odessa is 505 miles.  That 1989 playoff game was at Texas Stadium.

Marshall to Corpus is 425 miles.  So it's going to be a long drive for everyone if this game happens unless something really strange happens.

Houston would make sense..... it makes it as equal as you can get.  Marshall to Houston is 218 miles.  Corpus to Houston is 210.   Venues would be plentiful with NRG, U of H, Rice, and several HS facilities that are top notch.  Of course... 2 weeks before Christmas...weather becomes a factor.  

One step at a time.  We got a TON of business to take care of in August, September, October, November...... and all through the playoffs to get there.

But.... like I said.... fun stuff to speculate.  

• Like 1

https://www.marshallmavericks.net/

Some new updates are posted.
New tools for Mav fans to get more info. 
Getting things set for the 2019 season.  Still waiting on the FINAL JV and Freshmen schedules due to split squads and such.  Same with 8th grade.  And now that 7th grade FB is returning... should have theirs too.
Always open to suggestions and new ideas for the page.
Working on a new GAMEDAY/GAME CAPSULE page.  Can't seem to get it just right.  But I'll have it up and running with the Tyler Lee game posted on it.

Thanks everyone for making the page a success!  I don't do it for $.  I do it because I enjoy it.

I really think that Marshall has its hands full....they will have to run one of the most difficult gauntlets in the last decade to get a state title. I am thinking Marshall has to play their best football in more than a decade to get there...no bad games, player meltdowns, etc...

going to be hard but they have a team and a coach to be there...we will see if the talent on the field can stay focused or their season will go up in smoke...😉

Was having a chat with some folks predicting the regular season for the Mavs.

Seems consensus is 8-2....... or 9-1.  Obviously the biggest question mark is the Carthage game.  It was definitely a winnable game last season.....but too mistakes in the 2nd half saw it slip away.

Going to be an even tougher game to win this season with it being on the road.  Winning in Carthage won't be easy. Not to mention we have some new faces on the OL and in the WR corps that still need to prove themselves.

Honestly don't know what to expect from Tyler Lee.  They will have a new QB....and several new OL.  It's really going to depend on how fast Lee's offense gels.  This game could start sluggish for both....but I think the Mavs get the win by pulling away in the 2nd half.  (1-0).

Carthage- Hard to pick against the Bulldogs at home.  Dave Campbell says that finding a QB is a priority.... but my experience is that Carthage doesn't need a D-1 QB to win a lot of games.  I expect another game similar to last season's.  Going to be close.   Mavs (1-1)

Longview-  (1-2).

Lindale- This game means a lot to the players and the community.  They have a chance to break the consecutive district winning record.   The streak was tied last year with Pine Tree at 18.  19 will break a record that started in 1987 and extended until 1990.  This will be a tough game.... but being at home should help.  Eagles are always tough.  Can't look past them.  But Mavs should win. (2-2).

Hallsville-  This is a rivalry game, so anything is possible.  But the Mavs should be able to handle the Bobcats on the road.  In fact... Mav Nation needs to make this feel like a home game.  Mavs win big (3-2).

Mount Pleasant-  Homecoming.  Mavs need to stay focused and not be distracted by the circus going on around them.  MP always as speed and some skill players.  Depth hurts them.  Mavs should have another big win this week.  (4-2).

Jacksonville- This will be Marshall's first trip to a newly renovated Tomato Bowl.  I saw it this weekend on my way to Waco.  JISD should be proud of themselves.  They have done a spectacular job with the stadium.  What stands to be proven is whether or not it continues to be a House of Horrors for visiting teams.  Sounds like Jax lost some key players to transfer over the summer....plus graduation took some of their top players from last season.  May be a long year for the Indians in 2019.  (5-2).

Nacogdoches-  The Dragons will be a test for the Mavs.  This could possibly be for a peice of the district championship.  Nac is (3-12) at Maverick Stadium since 1980.  Dragon wins have come in 1983, 1999, and 2006.  This is going to be a tough game for Marshall.  I expect Nac to come to town fired up... eyeing a piece of their first district title in 36 years.   Mavs win a battle.  (6-2).

Whitehouse-  I expect WH to have another high powered offense.  They always seem to reload.  The problem always seems to be defense.  It was their downfall last season.... and I'm counting on it being more of the same this season.  Mav defense will get just enough stops while the Mav offense will play keep away.  (7-2).

Pine Tree-  IMHO.... this game is will be for the district title IF..... IF PT finds a way to play some defense in 2019.  The Pirates lost two games last season they should have won.... those games would have not only got them into the playoffs, but made them a #3 seed.  But those late game collapses cost them big.  If they get the defense going.... their offense should make them a title contender.  And this could be a showdown game at Maverick Stadium.  Hoping for an electric night, packed house, big game atmosphere.  We shall see if that materializes.   Taking my Mavs..... they haven't lost at home to Pine Tree since 1985.  Should be a great offensive show though.  (8-2).

That's my regular season prediction.  (8-2).  Hoping for (9-1) with an upset down in Bulldog Stadium.

Then on to the playoffs.....where I'm really excited to see how things shake down.

So excited about this season.  Ready for the fun to begin.

28 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Honestly don't know what to expect from Tyler Lee.  They will have a new QB....and several new OL.  It's really going to depend on how fast Lee's offense gels.  This game could start sluggish for both....but I think the Mavs get the win by pulling away in the 2nd half.  (1-0).

Mark Patton actually returns at QB for Lee. He was a JR last year. You're correct on the OL though, they graduated 4 out of 5. 

Lee returns the most experience of any team in 11-6A, whether they do anything with it or not is another convo.

1 minute ago, ANTI said:

Mark Patton actually returns at QB for Lee. He was a JR last year. You're correct on the OL though, they graduated 4 out of 5. 

Lee returns the most experience of any team in 11-6A, whether they do anything with it or not is another convo.

Hmmm.  I didn't keep up with Lee after our game. 

Did he move into the starter spot into the season?  I'd have to go back and look....but I didn't think he started against us.  But I could be wrong.

Yeah.  I stand corrected.  He (statistically) had a very good game.

For some reason I thought someone else started for Lee, but they switched due to injury.

He was solid with 13-31 for 273. 

We're not good enough to be overlooking anyone......definitely not a 6A team that I'm sure has more depth than us.

Especially first game out the gate......AND considering who the next 2 games are against.

(1-2) could be tough enough to start.... (0-3) would be a tough pill to swallow.

8 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

We're not good enough to be overlooking anyone......definitely not a 6A team that I'm sure has more depth than us.

Especially first game out the gate......AND considering who the next 2 games are against.

(1-2) could be tough enough to start.... (0-3) would be a tough pill to swallow.

Ranked at #4, Everyone should be expecting 9-1... we will see, but the expectations are high across the state

3 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Ranked at #4, Everyone should be expecting 9-1... we will see, but the expectations are high across the state

I don't think anyone would be shocked to see us go 9-1.

But I also don't think anyone would be shocked to see us lose at Bulldog Stadium either.   

Anything less than 8-2 would be pretty disappointing IMHO.

But losses to Carthage and Longview don't break your season..... both are expected to be late December teams.

Got the GAMEDAY tab up and running.  Still have some things to add to it before the Lee game gets here, but it's a start for now.

https://www.marshallmavericks.net/gameday

As always..... I'm open to suggestions and critiques for the page.

Should have a new blog coming in the next few days..... and should get the schedules for JV, Freshmen, and MJHS 8th up soon.  Not sure about 7th.... they are starting up again this fall.... but I haven't heard anything about their schedule.