2019 Marshall Maverick Thread

Mavchamp

20 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Carthage- Hard to pick against the Bulldogs at home.  Dave Campbell says that finding a QB is a priority.... but my experience is that Carthage doesn't need a D-1 QB to win a lot of games.  I expect another game similar to last season's.  Going to be close.   Mavs (1-1)Ok 

I read the comment from DC and had a big laugh.  Finding a QB is a priority, but DC picked the Dawgs to be in the Championship game.  Does that mean we will find him?  LOL.  Anyone that has watched Carthage football over the last 12 years knows Surratt knows how to develop QB’s.  Marshall saw the QB for 2019 this summer in 7 on 7.  6’4 210 with a big arm and good mobility.  He will have a huge O line in front of him with weapons at all the skill positions.  He will not be expected to make plays every snap.  He just has to manage the game, run the offense and get the ball in the hands of the play makers.  I also expect the Mavs game to be another close one.  Winner takes it by 7 or less points.

Although I don't post regularly (I guess that's why my post are so long), I do read daily.

Let the chatter began!

Some folk call me a "Homer;" some call me "unrealistic;" and some call me down right "delusional."  I am who I am, and I believe what I believe.  I was almost laughed to scorn previously when I said that Marshall has the athletes, and talent to compete  with anybody in the state on any level ( now I know that North Shore, and Duncanville are different beast at this time).  There has been nothing that I have seen recently that has changed my opinion. To concede defeat to anyone, is to have lost before you even play the game.

As I look back at our team (Marshall Mavericks) over the last two years, I shutter to think of what could (should) have been accomplished had we realized had we our full potential. Make no mistake about it, "I truly am proud of what the Mavericks accomplished (the standard is high), and "I ride or die" with the Marshall Mavericks.  When you have (4) four all state player: (1) one offense (Taj Washington); (3) defense (Brevin Randall, Mike Washington, and Champ Mathis), not to mention all the other talent. When you have (6) six athletes sign DI scholarships on the same high school football team, it is hard not to fill as if much more could have been accomplished (No fault of the kids!).  Through it all, I am even more convinced that we won not because of, but despite the coaching.

Last year I sat at the Marshall/Longview game with my cousins from Longview and endured the agonizing 60-14 defeat at the hands of the Lobos. I suffered through a night of Heart Break and anguish as they passed the tissue all night long. Asking, "do you need some more?"  I said all of that to say this, anybody can jump on the wagon after the wheels start rolling, but I want to be the first to say that a perfect storm is brewing in Marshall (The right coach, the right staff, and the right athlete at the right time).  Let me go ahead and step out on a limb and say the unfathomable.  The 2019 Marshall Mavericks are going to shock the football world, by upsetting the 2018 6A DII Defending State Champion Longview Lobos, In route to a 2019 5ADII Championship. 

PS:  If this proves not to be so, I will come back and take my lumps.

I don't see that happening.

And TBH.....I don't care that we don't win.

It's one game out of many.

It bears nothing as far as a district title, a playoff spot, or how far we go into the playoffs.

I'm probably going to be out of the country from the Wednesday before the game up until right before the Lindale game.  With little to no cell service.  And I'm fine with it.

My LONG LOOONG streak of attending games will be broken.  But it will be worth it. 

#BeachTime #BackToBackCruises

Coach Embry will be working with the offensive side of the ball.  Mostly the H backs.

I think he played on one of the National Championship teams at UMHB....2016 if I'm correct. (NCAA Div II.....same conference as ETBU.  BTW....UMHB has been to three straight national championships, winning in 2016 and 2018). 

Coach Wilson will be at LB.  He was at A&M Commerce when they won the D-2 title in 2017.  

Coach Bond will be the DB coach.  Again...he came from L.D. Bell

I'm hoping to compile a list of the entire staff.... the new faces and the ones that stayed from last season.  I'll get it posted on the Mav Page as soon as I can get my hands on a complete list. 

1 hour ago, MAV1975 said:

Although I don't post regularly (I guess that's why my post are so long), I do read daily.

Let the chatter began!

Some folk call me a "Homer;" some call me "unrealistic;" and some call me down right "delusional."  I am who I am, and I believe what I believe.  I was almost laughed to scorn previously when I said that Marshall has the athletes, and talent to compete  with anybody in the state on any level ( now I know that North Shore, and Duncanville are different beast at this time).  There has been nothing that I have seen recently that has changed my opinion. To concede defeat to anyone, is to have lost before you even play the game.

As I look back at our team (Marshall Mavericks) over the last two years, I shutter to think of what could (should) have been accomplished had we realized had we our full potential. Make no mistake about it, "I truly am proud of what the Mavericks accomplished (the standard is high), and "I ride or die" with the Marshall Mavericks.  When you have (4) four all state player: (1) one offense (Taj Washington); (3) defense (Brevin Randall, Mike Washington, and Champ Mathis), not to mention all the other talent. When you have (6) six athletes sign DI scholarships on the same high school football team, it is hard not to fill as if much more could have been accomplished (No fault of the kids!).  Through it all, I am even more convinced that we won not because of, but despite the coaching.

Last year I sat at the Marshall/Longview game with my cousins from Longview and endured the agonizing 60-14 defeat at the hands of the Lobos. I suffered through a night of Heart Break and anguish as they passed the tissue all night long. Asking, "do you need some more?"  I said all of that to say this, anybody can jump on the wagon after the wheels start rolling, but I want to be the first to say that a perfect storm is brewing in Marshall (The right coach, the right staff, and the right athlete at the right time).  Let me go ahead and step out on a limb and say the unfathomable.  The 2019 Marshall Mavericks are going to shock the football world, by upsetting the 2018 6A DII Defending State Champion Longview Lobos, In route to a 2019 5ADII Championship. 

PS:  If this proves not to be so, I will come back and take my lumps.

My only question is why you think that? What has Marshall done to not only overcome a lot of the same team that just beat them 60-14, but to also overcome a venue that only two teams have beaten us at in the last 15 years and the venue y’all haven’t won at in 21 years? 

As I said, if  my prediction proves not to be so, I will come back and take my lumps. I mean no disrespect to the Lobos, they have definitely earned the right to be the big dog in the house. It is definitely going to be a steep hill to climb, but it doesn't change how I feel.  There are somethings that make me more than optimistic about our chances. First, there were some key players missing in that game. Secondly not only were we experimenting with some things Defensively, but the Defense was in search of an identity ("Identity Found").  Can't wait for the game.

4 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

I read the comment from DC and had a big laugh.  Finding a QB is a priority, but DC picked the Dawgs to be in the Championship game.  Does that mean we will find him?  LOL.  Anyone that has watched Carthage football over the last 12 years knows Surratt knows how to develop QB’s.  Marshall saw the QB for 2019 this summer in 7 on 7.  6’4 210 with a big arm and good mobility.  He will have a huge O line in front of him with weapons at all the skill positions.  He will not be expected to make plays every snap.  He just has to manage the game, run the offense and get the ball in the hands of the play makers.  I also expect the Mavs game to be another close one.  Winner takes it by 7 or less points.

I believe Marshall has the horses and coaching to make a game out of week 2. The difference is usually in the trenches and mental aspect. If we struggle scoring again like last season it will be over just as quick. Defense tends to feed off the offenses succeses. Protecting JJ and establishing a running game can make up for a lot of the struggles last year. Keep the D fresh and motivated. If we are able to score, we have a game. If not, will get ugly into the second half.

I like our chances against Carthage as long as we don't get beat up too bad again the week before. Should be a good one either way. We win if Longview doesn't hurt our pride the week before. 

I'm pretty excited about the Lee game just because it's the season kickoff.....and at home.  Ready to see how fast JJ can gel with his new WRs and a new RB in the backfield.  Lots of new faces on offense.  Defense will need to step up in this game to let the offense come together.

Excited about the Carthage game because I think it will be a close exciting game.  Carthage sounds loaded to the teeth, even more so than they were last season..... we will need a fantastic game to pull off the win on the road in a very hostile environment.

I expect the status quo from the Lobo game..... no reason to really think otherwise.  Stats don't lie.... and statistically.... we have proven to not be anywhere near their level for a long time.  I don't need 193 annually regurgitated stats about the series to come to that conclusion. 

Just going to stay in my lane and discuss/attend 5A football only.  Glad to see LP and JT in the ranks now (come on Texas High...need you to rise up again!!!!).  Look forward to making it to some of their November/December games on the days we aren't playing.

Can August 30th just hurry up and get here?

I'M READY.

Tyler Lee thread will be up in the next few days or so...... since I've had a few people ask.

-------

For the record.... I absolutely 100% believe EVERY team strives for a state championship EVERY season.  I believe every fan desires it too.  No matter who their team is.  

I wasn't pointing out any single program in my above post....I can think of several here in East Texas that seem to live on a cliff when it comes to their post seasons  (Carthage, Gilmer, Longview).... but also others statewide (I DID say statewide in the original post)...... like Katy, Trinity, Judson, Aledo, Highland Park.....etc etc etc.

I'm extremely grateful for our playoff history, our district history, our district titles, current district winning streak.  And I'm very excited about our upcoming season....no matter when it ends for us. 

We don't have as much history as SOME programs........but we have a hell of a lot more history than MOST.  I refuse to hang my head about that.

Over this winter......Mav fans posted excitement concerning the new coach, big facility upgrades, a few transfers, graduating talent that went to the next level.  We posted excitement about the upcoming season with returning starters and the prospect of another great season.  We got excited about the new staff that has been added.  Then we got excited to see that some of the state's top prognosticators are picking us to do big things in 2019.  SO this was the place for us to be excited and talk about it.

The response has been that some have chided us about the excitement.  Said we were blowing things out of proportion.  Puffing our chests. Calling ourselves unbeatable.  Someone even stated we didn't deserve the facility upgrades....  we needed to sit down and be quiet.  

But when we say we don't expect state semi-final appearances and/or state titles to declare a season a success... we are told we are resigning ourselves to low expectations.  We are preparing our minds for failure.  Accepting our fate as mediocre.  

Can't win.  We are either talking too highly..... or have no expectations at all.

Anyhow.....

I'm excited about Maverick Football.  I have been for a long while.... and I continue to be....not only for 2019....but for seasons ahead.

We're a 5A Div II program.... and I couldn't be more excited about what that means to the program long term.  This is where I think we can really flourish.  Time will tell.

Ready to stay in the 5A lane and enjoy the ride!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Tyler Lee thread will be up in the next few days or so...... since I've had a few people ask.

-------

For the record.... I absolutely 100% believe EVERY team strives for a state championship EVERY season.  I believe every fan desires it too.  No matter who their team is.  

I wasn't pointing out any single program in my above post....I can think of several here in East Texas that seem to live on a cliff when it comes to their post seasons  (Carthage, Gilmer, Longview).... but also others statewide (I DID say statewide in the original post)...... like Katy, Trinity, Judson, Aledo, Highland Park.....etc etc etc.

I'm extremely grateful for our playoff history, our district history, our district titles, current district winning streak.  And I'm very excited about our upcoming season....no matter when it ends for us. 

We don't have as much history as SOME programs........but we have a hell of a lot more history than MOST.  I refuse to hang my head about that.

Over this winter......Mav fans posted excitement concerning the new coach, big facility upgrades, a few transfers, graduating talent that went to the next level.  We posted excitement about the upcoming season with returning starters and the prospect of another great season.  We got excited about the new staff that has been added.  Then we got excited to see that some of the state's top prognosticators are picking us to do big things in 2019.  SO this was the place for us to be excited and talk about it.

The response has been that some have chided us about the excitement.  Said we were blowing things out of proportion.  Puffing our chests. Calling ourselves unbeatable.  Someone even stated we didn't deserve the facility upgrades....  we needed to sit down and be quiet.  

But when we say we don't expect state semi-final appearances and/or state titles to declare a season a success... we are told we are resigning ourselves to low expectations.  We are preparing our minds for failure.  Accepting our fate as mediocre.  

Can't win.  We are either talking too highly..... or have no expectations at all.

Anyhow.....

I'm excited about Maverick Football.  I have been for a long while.... and I continue to be....not only for 2019....but for seasons ahead.

We're a 5A Div II program.... and I couldn't be more excited about what that means to the program long term.  This is where I think we can really flourish.  Time will tell.

Ready to stay in the 5A lane and enjoy the ride!

Well said, and absolutely agree.....if you don't think you can win (as tall a mountain as it is at times, i.e. lining up against the Lobos) you don't need to be on the field. Nothing wrong with big expectations, as long as they are realistic....and IMO the Mavs expectations are realistic.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that this year, Lufkin and the Mavs, and to a lesser extent Carthage (not a slight to the Bulldogs, but the match-ups in size would probably be just too much to overcome) are the only teams in East Texas that could legitimately play with the Lobos (didn't say beat, but line up against). 

Sorry if some people don't care for the excitement in Marshall surrounding the Mavs this year, but there it is.....much better to aim high and expect much than be morose like it was in the (deep) ditch of 2011 and 2012.

Like 'Champ said, enjoy the ride!!!

8 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Under bleachers? That’s pretty cool. 

Just while they were refinishing the floor in the main weight room....today only I think.

But since you mentioned it..... got me to brainstorming:

IF I could do what I've envisioned.... I would turn the area under the bleachers into storage on both sides of the field (home and away).  Close it in completely.  Turn the 4 ramp tunnels into the stadium into more seating.

Build concessions and restrooms on each side of the stands on both sides of the field.

Expand the homeside to go from endzone to endzone and move the band and drill team back to the home side...OR give them an endzone section.

New lighting standards.  New ticket offices and gates.  New Red Brick Wall...complete with fountains and a big Maverick at the pinnacle.

New Maverick Store.....no more portable.

Build the proposed outdoor practice facility behind the video board.

Would be epic.  

One day..... it'll happen.

I'm hoping the school board will try another bond soon to finish work at MHS and the athletic facilities.  Nothing to lose trying. 

K-8th grades are all in brand new buildings now from the 2015 bond.  MHS has already gotten $10M in renovations in the last year and a half.  Still about $20M to go for the school....and probably $5-7M in athletics.

But until then..... we have the Legacy Program working and the school board doing the work piece by piece.  Either way..... it will get done.