2019 Marshall Maverick Thread

Mavchamp

20 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Just while they were refinishing the floor in the main weight room....today only I think.

But since you mentioned it..... got me to brainstorming:

IF I could do what I've envisioned.... I would turn the area under the bleachers into storage on both sides of the field (home and away).  Close it in completely.  Turn the 4 ramp tunnels into the stadium into more seating.

Build concessions and restrooms on each side of the stands on both sides of the field.

Expand the homeside to go from endzone to endzone and move the band and drill team back to the home side...OR give them an endzone section.

New lighting standards.  New ticket offices and gates.  New Red Brick Wall...complete with fountains and a big Maverick at the pinnacle.

New Maverick Store.....no more portable.

Build the proposed outdoor practice facility behind the video board.

Would be epic.  

One day..... it'll happen.

I'm hoping the school board will try another bond soon to finish work at MHS and the athletic facilities.  Nothing to lose trying.

K-8th grades are all in brand new buildings now from the 2015 bond.  MHS has already gotten $10M in renovations in the last year and a half.  Still about $20M to go for the school....and probably $5-7M in athletics.

But until then..... we have the Legacy Program working and the school board doing the work piece by piece.  Either way..... it will get done.

There’s something to lose... those elections ;)

22 hours ago, OakRidgeMav said:

I don't think it's a stretch to say that this year, Lufkin, and the Mavs, and to a lesser extent Carthage (not a slight to the Bulldogs, but the match-ups in size would probably be just too much to overcome) are the only teams in East Texas that could legitimately play with the Lobos (didn't say beat, but line up against). 

Just realized that in my earlier post I left JT out of the ETX schools that could give the Lobos a game.....not an intentional slight.....my bad.

34 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

There’s something to lose... those elections ;)

Lmao. 

Meh. The 2014 bond failed with no retribution from voters. 

This bond would be smallish. But solidify all campuses for the next 20-30 years. 

UIL approved two contested transfers for Marshall Wednesday at a meeting in Kilgore.  The Vote was 7-0. 

Both players live in Marshall, but have attended Jefferson.  They applied to transfer to MHS for this fall.  The HFC at Jefferson protested (amongst a few other things including the protest).

Lyric Rawls (Jr, Free Safety, WR) 6'0".  He's being recruited by Arkansas. 
Was also the district MVP in basketball for the Bulldogs as a sophomore.

Kevin Pinson (Sr, WR, DT) 6'0".  Played both ways for the Bulldogs last season.  But basketball is his thing.  

Great additions not only for the football team....probably even bigger for the basketball program.  They were in a basketball camp yesterday in Dallas.

7 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

UIL approved two contested transfers for Marshall Wednesday at a meeting in Kilgore.  The Vote was 7-0. 

Both players live in Marshall, but have attended Jefferson.  They applied to transfer to MHS for this fall.  The HFC at Jefferson protested (amongst a few other things including the protest).

Kevin Pinson (Sr, WR, DT) 6'0".  Played both ways for the Bulldogs last season.  But basketball is his thing.  

Great additions not only for the football team....probably even bigger for the basketball program.  They were in a basketball camp yesterday in Dallas.

That's big time.

I dunno whats going on in Jefferson but HC probably frustrated that his players are leaving for some reason.

Longview picked up Malik Cannon from them a little bit before the spring, he was all state at Jefferson.

Just now, ANTI said:

That's big time.

I dunno whats going on in Jefferson but HC probably frustrated that his players are leaving for some reason.

Longview picked up Malik Cannon from them a little bit before the spring, he was all state at Jefferson.

I DO understand his frustration....to a point.

The two players listed above are Marshall kids..... for whatever reason, they've been in Jefferson.  But now they are coming HOME.  To contest that....and perhaps cost them a year of eligibility to play where they actually LIVE is a little mind boggling to me.  Petty comes to mind.  And there was some scare tactics and strong-arming going on from what I've heard.  There are others that may follow....we shall see.

Losing players to programs where they don't live....I can see how that may sting and cause some anger....but it's nothing new.  It always happens that way.  Winning state...or making deep runs every year will create that situation and cause some unsolicited recruiting.

When Waskom was winning their state titles.......while Marshall and EF were down.... they had a roster sprinkled with Mavs and Jackets.... and probably Jefferson too.

When EF was having their streak.... they had players from Marshall and Waskom.

Same with Tatum.....  and we don't even have to mention the behemoth about 30 miles south of Marshall.

Longview winning state last season no doubt got the attention of some parents and players at PT, Spring Hill, Hallsville...etc, etc... esp with the loaded team returning in 2019.  No shocker.

I just find it ironic that the HFC was willing to receive his out of town players with open arms.... but when the shoe was on the other foot.... he decided to make a big deal out of it.

May backfire on him in the long run.  

7 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Glad to hear this...Mavs have a chance to be special this year...these additions will only boost the outlook...that HC needs to get a grip....the grass is greener in Marshall right now, and there is a lot of grass for every transfer...

On 7/11/2019 at 10:09 AM, Mavchamp said:

https://www.marshallmavericks.net/

Some new updates are posted.
New tools for Mav fans to get more info. 
Getting things set for the 2019 season.  Still waiting on the FINAL JV and Freshmen schedules due to split squads and such.  Same with 8th grade.  And now that 7th grade FB is returning... should have theirs too.
Always open to suggestions and new ideas for the page.
Working on a new GAMEDAY/GAME CAPSULE page.  Can't seem to get it just right.  But I'll have it up and running with the Tyler Lee game posted on it.

Thanks everyone for making the page a success!  I don't do it for $.  I do it because I enjoy it.

Maybe a historical section on series history against each team. I'll be more than happy to get you the data I have along with dates and such. As always, the site looks great!

3 hours ago, burrows said:

Maybe a historical section on series history against each team. I'll be more than happy to get you the data I have along with dates and such. As always, the site looks great!

I'll happily take any information you have.

I'm stil missing scores.  Checking scores to be correct, Home/Away/Dates

I want to work on some stats.... and all time best games, etc....

Any thing you have I'll be more than happy to use.... and I'll give you full credit for the research!

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

I'll happily take any information you have.

I'm stil missing scores.  Checking scores to be correct, Home/Away/Dates

I want to work on some stats.... and all time best games, etc....

Any thing you have I'll be more than happy to use.... and I'll give you full credit for the research!

I've compiled quite a bit of information and have read through several old newspapers (luckily I found a spot where many are loaded online) to do my best to verify scores, dates and locations. Unfortunately football wasn't a big deal back 1900-1930 and they seemed to play whatever day of the week was convenient lol...I'm also working on taking snippets out of each paper that details the game and putting them together as 1 file as well...here's what I'm missing location and date wise.

1940-location for 1 game
1930-location for 3 games and Date for 2 games
1932-Location for all games
1933-Location and Date for 1 game
1934-Location and Date for 1 game
1935-Date For for 1 game
1936-Location for 2 games
1920-Location for-7 games, Date for 4 games
1921-Location for 10 games, Date for 9 games
1922-Location for 8 games, Date for 8 games
1923-Location for 3 games
1924-Location for 6 games, Date for 1 game.
1925-Location and date for 7 games
1926-Location for 4 games
1927-Location for 1 game
1928-Location for 4 games, Date for 3 games
1929-Location and Date for 2 games
1900-1919-Several dates and locations needed. 

Wow. That is impressive!!!

1900-1919 is sketchy for almost all programs. 

The fact that ours is as complete as it is from 1920-1440 is pretty rare from my previous work. 

Not many programs in Texas have as much recorded as some of the programs in East Texas:  Marshall, JT, Lufkin, Longview.   3 of those programs have pretty comprehensive football websites too.