2019 Marshall Maverick Thread

Mavchamp

QB development I'm sure is a top priority for the staff this season.....for several reasons.

1.  You never know when the starter (JJ) may go down.  JJ is about to be a third year starter and is getting D-1 attention.  But it could go out the window with an injury..... a la Justin Hart in 2015.  The offense struggled mightily last season in a lot of those blowout games after JJ was pulled from the game.  Was always a worry.  So we need some depth at QB.

2.  JJ will graduate after this season..... so developing his successor is important.  Apparently we have a phenom at QB that will be a freshman this season.  He may be the heir-apparent as a sophomore next season... but we need to make sure we have an upperclassman available too.  So again....development.

3.  Always good to have a duel threat at QB.  While I'm not a fan of rotating starters...... I am a fan of having more than one guy that can take over under center in given situations.  Much like we saw with Cam Haller and Justin Hart in 2014 and 2015. 

Can't wait to start getting some reports for spring practice.  Not only at QB, but at RB as well.  We struggled in not having a work-horse RB last season.  Been a long while since MHS failed to find a stud RB....but it was one of our glaring problems last season.

Ready for this season to get here.  Lots of excitement around the program right now.  Clint Harper did a great job of getting things turned around.  The former guy took the next step.... and now Griedl should take us yet another step forward.

Exciting times.

-----------------

Going to try and get some numbers..... but I've been told the participation numbers for spring ball has been unprecedented.  Which is interesting considering the track/field guys as well as the baseball guys are still out.  We will know if the baseball team will be in the playoffs tonight.

Been told we have some kids that played for other area schools (Jefferson, Waskom, EF, Tatum, Hallsville) last season will be returning to Marshall this fall.  A big thing for Griedl.  He wants Marshall kids playing for the Mavs.  Looks like he's making it happen with football...... now if we can get some of our baseball players back from a certain school....AHHHEEEEMMMM.....lmao.

Go Mavs Go.

9 hours ago, tonythetiger said:

Is Coach Randle going to stick around?

I believe so. 

Football staff from last year is nearly completely intact. 

Rare to happen when a HFC leaves. 

Brenton Whitaker has joined the staff.  I think he was a finalist for MP last time they were open. He’s coming for Carrollton. He will be joining Coach Quinlan to coach the OL. 

1 hour ago, OakRidgeMav said:

Hey Mavchamp......still no word as to who the Mavs will scrimmage this year (since Ellison pulled out)??

Only rumors.  Nothing concrete.  But I'll see what I can find out tonight.

Making Carthage a regular season game really hurt our scrimmage prospects unless we are willing to travel like we did last season. 

We already have the two lone East Texas 6A schools on our schedule.

That leaves only 3 possibilities from 5A Div I:  JT, Lufkin, and Texas High.  Any of them would be a good test.  Esp. JT and LP.

The only East Texas 5A Div II school not in our district is SS..... which... if you are going to travel all the way to SS... you may as well look for a quality DFW opponent IMHO.  

Now you're down to 4A Div I.... and we already have Carthage on the schedule too.   Leaving only Henderson and Kilgore as possibilities.  And Kilgore looks to be rebuilding a bit.

I'm not sure how the current staff feels about 4A Div II...... I know we scrimmaged Pleasant Grove in 2016 and 2017, a series set up by Coach Harper.  But the former coach dropped PG in favor of the long road trip to Waco Vs. Ellison.  PG is a great program.....they would likely be the only 4A Div II program that would be considered.

I expect another road trip IMHO........  I think it was a good experience to have a LONG road trip prior to the season.  We don't have any real long road games this season... Jacksonville being the longest (89 miles).  All the other road games are super close:

Longview (23 miles)
Carthage (28 miles)
Hallsville (13 miles)
Jacksonville (89 miles)
Whitehouse (65 miles)

I honestly don't ever recall so little traveling for the Mavs in a regular season as we do in 2019.

Our district home games this season should all be doozies with Lindale, Nac, and PT..... likely the playoff favorites in the district along with us.

Can't wait.  This should be a fun season. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Only rumors.  Nothing concrete.  But I'll see what I can find out tonight.

Making Carthage a regular season game really hurt our scrimmage prospects unless we are willing to travel like we did last season. 

We already have the two lone East Texas 6A schools on our schedule.

That leaves only 3 possibilities from 5A Div I:  JT, Lufkin, and Texas High.  Any of them would be a good test.  Esp. JT and LP.

The only East Texas 5A Div II school not in our district is SS..... which... if you are going to travel all the way to SS... you may as well look for a quality DFW opponent IMHO.  

Now you're down to 4A Div I.... and we already have Carthage on the schedule too.   Leaving only Henderson and Kilgore as possibilities.  And Kilgore looks to be rebuilding a bit.

I'm not sure how the current staff feels about 4A Div II...... I know we scrimmaged Pleasant Grove in 2016 and 2017, a series set up by Coach Harper.  But the former coach dropped PG in favor of the long road trip to Waco Vs. Ellison.  PG is a great program.....they would likely be the only 4A Div II program that would be considered.

I expect another road trip IMHO........  I think it was a good experience to have a LONG road trip prior to the season.  We don't have any real long road games this season... Jacksonville being the longest (89 miles).  All the other road games are super close:

Longview (23 miles)
Carthage (28 miles)
Hallsville (13 miles)
Jacksonville (89 miles)
Whitehouse (65 miles)

I honestly don't ever recall so little traveling for the Mavs in a regular season as we do in 2019.

Our district home games this season should all be doozies with Lindale, Nac, and PT..... likely the playoff favorites in the district along with us.

Can't wait.  This should be a fun season. 

I’d say Henderson or Van would be good options if they have openings.

5 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

I’d say Henderson or Van would be good options if they have openings.

Both great programs!

But I have a feeling they will be looking for a longer road trip scrimmage to a 5A or 6A opponent. 

But don’t quote me on that. 

Like I said.... everything I’ve heard is likely rumor. 

6 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Both great programs!

But I have a feeling they will be looking for a longer road trip scrimmage to a 5A or 6A opponent. 

But don’t quote me on that. 

Like I said.... everything I’ve heard is likely rumor. 

How about Argyle or Waco La Vega?  😂They both scheduled into East Texas last year/this year.

14 hours ago, OakRidgeMav said:

Hey Mavchamp......still no word as to who the Mavs will scrimmage this year (since Ellison pulled out)??

Heard from a reliable source that it sounds like Killeen Ellison is back in. 

The scrimmage will likely be in either Corsicana or Waxahachie.  Either that Friday or Saturday 23rd/24th  

Ellison was 4-6 last year.  Marshall dominated the scrimmage 28-7 IIRC. 

But the long road trip was what they were really looking for.  Paid off... because we ended up going to Houston and Frisco for playoff games. 

Still hearing a few things coming down the way. Shall see if they come to fruition. 

Ellison should be improved this coming season, with the talent they have coming back. Still, that district should be dominated by Midway. Temple lost a lottttt, so everything after the top spot is up for grabs imo. Eagles are a good scrimmage partner for Marshall overall. 6A school that isn’t overwhelming but isn’t at the bottom of the barrel either.