Shelbyville 67 Gruver 48 - 2A STATE CHAMPIONS!!!

Crawford

3 hours ago, Greezychef said:

Second place in the damn coaches first year in a district with the regional champions and this guys throwing the coaches and the kids under the bus.  Now that's what I call a class act.  

Ridiculous expectations. He must have moved there from Tenaha. 

10 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

You made the playoffs in football for the first time since ‘15. Most of the teams you lost to were really good. Give Coach B a break. He walked into a program that had been through three head coaches in two years. I’d say 5-6 with losses to teams like Joaquin, Tenaha and SA is pretty respectable. 

We didn't beat a team in the top 30. The offense is ridiculous to say the least!!

We have an abundance of skills players and to see them waste away is terrible!

It's the administrations fault. We have had numerous groups of kids going all the way back to the early 90's that under achieved due to inadequate coaching.

6 hours ago, Greezychef said:

Second place in the damn coaches first year in a district with the regional champions and this guys throwing the coaches and the kids under the bus.  Now that's what I call a class act.  

I guess you can't read? Never did I throw any kids under the buss. I just stated a simple fact that the offense we run is ridiculous! It shouldn't be tolerated by the administration nor the community.

18 hours ago, Greezychef said:

Tenaha won state running a version of that gimmick offense in 2011.  Stick to being a fan, let the real coaches coach 

You are partly right. Tenaha did run a version of the wildcat with the Davis kid lined up at quarterback, but they did have a quarterback. JR Hill, and he was probably all district? not sure?

And they did pass the ball fairly often during the regular season and playoffs to include the state championship game.

Any offense is fine as long as you throw the ball a little bit.

Even with the great talent we had in 14 and 15 the teams still under achieved because the coach would not throw the ball. Those kids dominated 7 on 7! Especially in 14 with CJ Watson throwing the ball.

Say what you want, but football has moved away from 3 yards and a cloud of dust. It's not fun and it contributes to injury.

3 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Ridiculous expectations. He must have moved there from Tenaha. 

Under the bus? I'm taking up for the kids and giving them a voice. The administration thinks we don't have a kid smart enough to be a true quarterback but some of us know better. One kid in particular shined very brightly playing quarterback on a 15u select team. . We don't have an offensive coach smart enough to teach a basic passing game. Or, most likely they just don't want to take the time to do it.

No team will reach their full potential without a basic passing game. Some have won state with the 3 yards and a cloud of dust concepts but it was because they were extremely big or had an elite D1 type running back. Even Newton the last two years with all their running abilities passed the ball.

Nobody is being thrown under the bus!! I'm just tired of seeing our football teams under achieve for decades and decades when we continuously have some of the best athletes in the county!! Throw the freaking ball!!!

And that goes for Joaquin too.. The Gandy teams should have had at least one state champ, but he wouldn't throw it. Last years team had a enough speed for two sprint relays but the refusal to throw the ball cut them short.

Throwing the kids under the bus would be to ignore the facts and not say anything.

Does the Burrell kid got any little brothers or cousins coming up to carry on his awesome legacy. That young man could hit the gap! Would have to air it out ever other play with a downhill runner so much, just sayin.

4 minutes ago, Doomer said:

Does the Burrell kid got any little brothers or cousins coming up to carry on his awesome legacy. That young man could hit the gap! Would have to air it out ever other play with a downhill runner so much, just sayin.

He was actually from San Augustine but we have a kid now that could be a 2000 yd. rusher if they don't beat him to death with the 3 yards and a cloud of dust. . With several other kids coming up that can run. Shelbyville always has running backs. Maybe not the caliber of Burrell, but we have an abundance of skills players every year. The administration just needs to figure out how to implement a modern offense.

The new coach is fine. In the few times I saw them they were disciplined. Blocked well and tackled well, but with 0 threat of a passing game and no true quarterback it's disheartening to everyone. Just hire an offensive coordinator for Gods sake!! It's not like we don't have money!

• Thanks 1

Just now, easttex18 said:

You are partly right. Tenaha did run a version of the wildcat with the Davis kid lined up at quarterback, but they did have a quarterback. JR Hill, and he was probably all district? not sure?

And they did pass the ball fairly often during the regular season and playoffs to include the state championship game.

Any offense is fine as long as you throw the ball a little bit.

Even with the great talent we had in 14 and 15 the teams still under achieved because the coach would not throw the ball. Those kids dominated 7 on 7! Especially in 14 with CJ Watson throwing the ball.

Say what you want, but football has moved away from 3 yards and a cloud of dust. It's not fun and it contributes to injury.

Now, just tell me how many times have you applied for the hc job at shelby, evidently you are the MAN.

1 hour ago, easttex18 said:

Under the bus? I'm taking up for the kids and giving them a voice. The administration thinks we don't have a kid smart enough to be a true quarterback but some of us know better. One kid in particular shined very brightly playing quarterback on a 15u select team. . We don't have an offensive coach smart enough to teach a basic passing game. Or, most likely they just don't want to take the time to do it.

No team will reach their full potential without a basic passing game. Some have won state with the 3 yards and a cloud of dust concepts but it was because they were extremely big or had an elite D1 type running back. Even Newton the last two years with all their running abilities passed the ball.

Nobody is being thrown under the bus!! I'm just tired of seeing our football teams under achieve for decades and decades when we continuously have some of the best athletes in the county!! Throw the freaking ball!!!

And that goes for Joaquin too.. The Gandy teams should have had at least one state champ, but he wouldn't throw it. Last years team had a enough speed for two sprint relays but the refusal to throw the ball cut them short.

Throwing the kids under the bus would be to ignore the facts and not say anything.

Evidently you’ve never heard of Liberty Hill or East Bernard. Look ‘em up. 

4 hours ago, easttex18 said:

We didn't beat a team in the top 30. The offense is ridiculous to say the least!!

We have an abundance of skills players and to see them waste away is terrible!

It's the administrations fault. We have had numerous groups of kids going all the way back to the early 90's that under achieved due to inadequate coaching.

Shelbyville had SA on their toes for a bit last year. The injury bug hit yall hard.  Cut the man some slack.  The kids played hard for him and there isn't alot of talent there to do much with.  

8 hours ago, SAWolfman said:

Shelbyville had SA on their toes for a bit last year. The injury bug hit yall hard.  Cut the man some slack.  The kids played hard for him and there isn't alot of talent there to do much with.  

According to him, Shelbyville is the new Arp. 5* athletes growing on trees, man. 

13 hours ago, Destry said:

Now, just tell me how many times have you applied for the hc job at shelby, evidently you are the MAN.

I don't want the job. I coached a bit back in the 80's and early 90's and found out it wasn't for me, but I guarantee that running a modern offense that fully utilizes the available talent is not rocket science.

13 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Evidently you’ve never heard of Liberty Hill or East Bernard. Look ‘em up. 

I was at the Liberty Hill game where they beat Carthage. Only because Carthage was weak on defense compared to past years. I was also at the state championship game where they lost because they couldn't throw the ball.

10 hours ago, SAWolfman said:

It was because of the emotion of the tragic event that both communities were experiencing simultaneously. Octavian was special to all of us and it had a major effect on the ballgame.

2 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

According to him, Shelbyville is the new Arp. 5* athletes growing on trees, man. 

LD Coleman, Jaylen Brinson, AJ Cartwright, Kel Cartwright, Slade Smith,  Jackson, JaKory Stanley.. these kids all have 1st team all district skillsets at running, catching or both. LD Coleman has 1st team all district quarterback talents as  does JaKory Stanley, and Jaylon Brinson.. These are only the kids that play.

The kids that don't play Jay Buckely (state tournament MVP basketball) best athlete in the county with D1 receiver talents, Kolby Parker (committed to UH to play baseball) top 5 athlete in the county can play any position on offense or defense at an all district 1st team level. Jordan Boykins, another top athlete in the state in 2a, 6-4 over 200lbs great hands, and smart. Could be all district receiver on any level. All state in the smaller classifications, and can also kick extremely well. Get them to the football field! Raymond Jackson, god rest his soul, figured this out back in the late 80's/ early 90's and as they say, the rest is history! The right people with the right connections to the community can make it happen.

So yea, Shelbyville is loaded!! It's very similar to the 14/15 kids that were sold short with a basketball coach that intentionally lost games because the AD despised basketball, and in football there were kids with 4.4 speed and great hands on the sideline while the offense was playing!!! and a quarterback that dominated 7 on 7 with the same kids! In the lovelady game in 15 that we lost in the quarterfinals they literally had 11 men in the box and Burrell was about 60 percent. No ability to cut but ran him between the tackles all night with speedy receivers on the sidelines watching. The quarterback that year Barnes is playing receiver in college now, but he had a decent arm. The whole fiasco was one of the most painful things I've ever witnessed in watching sports for 50 years!

Lets go back further to the mid nineties to the early 2000's. Vincent Cartwright, Fred Cartwright RIP, Chris Cartwright, Frank Baker, Cedric Ratcliff, Dustin Parker, Archie Peterson, Tim Sparks,.. the biggest offensive line in the state of texas in 1997 with EVERY skill player with interest from colleges. They went 5 and 5 and didn't make the playoffs!  Colleges used to inquire about a few of these kids and the school literally didn't even tell the kids!! These are cold hard facts! Vincent Cartwright ended up making it to the final cuts with the Titans, and chose to not got to NFL Europe and took up recruiting for Sam Houston State. Then he went to coaching and became AD in Huntsville, but resigned to work closer to home. Coaches in Lufkin now. Applied for the AD job in 14 but didn't even get an interview!! Imagine that. A guy that made it to the pros and was raised in the community where the athletes come from and didn't get an interview!

There was another group in the late 2000's with a very similar sad story.

Bottom line is it's not the coaches but the administration. It's their job to make sure the kids are represented properly.

And there is one constant in all of this. .

As for me I have absolutely no dog in the hunt. I'm just an old school guy that has been around sports all over the country and was closely involved with some very successful programs a long time ago.

After coming back to Shelby county and leaving several times I keep coming to the same conclusion. Which is these kids aren't being represented properly and they only have one chance to play sports. We can argue, bicker and debate here all day. Speculate to no end and pretend we know a lot, and it doesn't matter!!!! The kids are all I care about and they get one chance. We can talk smack here until we are too old to walk!!

I'm done. I will not reply to anything else in this thread... I just hope somebody sees it and considers everything said. . and for the record!  The current AD at Shelbyville is not a bad coach. I saw his team play a few times and they played hard. Blocked and tackled well and had discipline. . They just need to install a modern offense. The wildcat exclusively is absolutely not fair to the kids.

Haven't been following the Dragons for all that long but Coach Benbow is by far the best AD I've seen at Shelbyville. He's brought back winning in all sports. He's getting qualified coaches. He loves the kids and from what I see they respect him. He's been there 1 yr and everyone I've talk to is very pleased with him. He!s the 1st coach at Shelbyville that doesn't interfere with other sports. Let the man coach his way.

8 hours ago, easttex18 said:

LD Coleman, Jaylen Brinson, AJ Cartwright, Kel Cartwright, Slade Smith,  Jackson, JaKory Stanley.. these kids all have 1st team all district skillsets at running, catching or both. LD Coleman has 1st team all district quarterback talents as  does JaKory Stanley, and Jaylon Brinson.. These are only the kids that play.

The kids that don't play Jay Buckely (state tournament MVP basketball) best athlete in the county with D1 receiver talents, Kolby Parker (committed to UH to play baseball) top 5 athlete in the county can play any position on offense or defense at an all district 1st team level. Jordan Boykins, another top athlete in the state in 2a, 6-4 over 200lbs great hands, and smart. Could be all district receiver on any level. All state in the smaller classifications, and can also kick extremely well. Get them to the football field! Raymond Jackson, god rest his soul, figured this out back in the late 80's/ early 90's and as they say, the rest is history! The right people with the right connections to the community can make it happen.

So yea, Shelbyville is loaded!! It's very similar to the 14/15 kids that were sold short with a basketball coach that intentionally lost games because the AD despised basketball, and in football there were kids with 4.4 speed and great hands on the sideline while the offense was playing!!! and a quarterback that dominated 7 on 7 with the same kids! In the lovelady game in 15 that we lost in the quarterfinals they literally had 11 men in the box and Burrell was about 60 percent. No ability to cut but ran him between the tackles all night with speedy receivers on the sidelines watching. The quarterback that year Barnes is playing receiver in college now, but he had a decent arm. The whole fiasco was one of the most painful things I've ever witnessed in watching sports for 50 years!

Lets go back further to the mid nineties to the early 2000's. Vincent Cartwright, Fred Cartwright RIP, Chris Cartwright, Frank Baker, Cedric Ratcliff, Dustin Parker, Archie Peterson, Tim Sparks,.. the biggest offensive line in the state of texas in 1997 with EVERY skill player with interest from colleges. They went 5 and 5 and didn't make the playoffs!  Colleges used to inquire about a few of these kids and the school literally didn't even tell the kids!! These are cold hard facts! Vincent Cartwright ended up making it to the final cuts with the Titans, and chose to not got to NFL Europe and took up recruiting for Sam Houston State. Then he went to coaching and became AD in Huntsville, but resigned to work closer to home. Coaches in Lufkin now. Applied for the AD job in 14 but didn't even get an interview!! Imagine that. A guy that made it to the pros and was raised in the community where the athletes come from and didn't get an interview!

There was another group in the late 2000's with a very similar sad story.

Bottom line is it's not the coaches but the administration. It's their job to make sure the kids are represented properly.

And there is one constant in all of this. .

As for me I have absolutely no dog in the hunt. I'm just an old school guy that has been around sports all over the country and was closely involved with some very successful programs a long time ago.

After coming back to Shelby county and leaving several times I keep coming to the same conclusion. Which is these kids aren't being represented properly and they only have one chance to play sports. We can argue, bicker and debate here all day. Speculate to no end and pretend we know a lot, and it doesn't matter!!!! The kids are all I care about and they get one chance. We can talk smack here until we are too old to walk!!

I'm done. I will not reply to anything else in this thread... I just hope somebody sees it and considers everything said. . and for the record!  The current AD at Shelbyville is not a bad coach. I saw his team play a few times and they played hard. Blocked and tackled well and had discipline. . They just need to install a modern offense. The wildcat exclusively is absolutely not fair to the kids.

The fact that you think that is a wildcat offense tells me all I need to know about your knowledge of football. Now I understand why you decided that coaching “wasn’t for you”. Have a nice day! 

• LOL! 2

4 hours ago, easttex18 said:

I don't want the job. I coached a bit back in the 80's and early 90's and found out it wasn't for me, but I guarantee that running a modern offense that fully utilizes the available talent is not rocket science.

Neither is running the offense that gives the kids the  best chance to win and sustain a program. Also, dont hate on the coach who coaches what he knows best

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

The fact that you think that is a wildcat offense tells me all I need to know about your knowledge of football. Now I understand why you decided that coaching “wasn’t for you”. Have a nice day! 

sorry about that. didn't mean to get baited in... not sure what the offense is they run. I think it's actually the air raid.

9 hours ago, easttex18 said:

sorry about that. didn't mean to get baited in... not sure what the offense is they run. I think it's actually the air raid.

Even better! BTW, Nick Saban called. Wanted to offer you a scholarship to his coach rehab clinic. 

2 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Even better! BTW, Nick Saban called. Wanted to offer you a scholarship to his coach rehab clinic. 

I know that Saban boy just coaches Bama but he was once good coach at LSU. I thinks trueblue is giving you a compliment ETX18!