Early class 2a div 1 region 3 picks football

Easttxmaniac

1 hour ago, Easttxmaniac said:

Its early but time flies. Who are your favorites to win region 3 in class 2a div 1. As far as state wide Mason will be tough again. 

Considering San Augustine has won the region the last two years and brings back almost everybody, I think they have to be the odds-on favorite. Garrison should be strong again, and Tenaha is always a threat. I think Joaquin has the chance at another good year, as does Carlisle. I’m expecting Alto to take a big step forward in Coach Meeks’ second year. I don’t think Centerville wins less than 8 games two years in a row. I’ll be shocked if the region 3 champ isn’t one of those 7. 

• Like 2

Until someone beats them in the playoffs, SA has to be the favorite. And won’t get tested until round 3 in the playoffs.

Garrison returns a bunch of those skill kids but I think big boys were seniors. 

Tenaha will be interesting to see how they do. They should still be good, but graduated some really good talent. 

Joaquin has established themselves as atleast a yearly participant and got over the first round hump. 

Carlisle graduates their two best playmakers, but younger turner is a stud and they have a good program going over there. 

Alto loses very little to graduation, but have to get past Carlisle in district to avoid District 11 champ in 2nd round and then SA in the 3rd. 

• Like 2

I think San Augustine has to be the team to beat based on how they did last year with such a young group; they really exceeded everyone’s expectations. Tenaha and Garrison will be tough, as will Carlisle and probably Joaquin.  I feel like Alto will challenge because of the returning starters and just being acclimated to the second year with Coach Meeks and his system. The youngsters from the JV and incoming freshmen will contribute in the not-so-distant future, too. Big talented senior group! Region 3 will be tough; I hope whoever emerges will challenge Refugio and Mason. Tired of Region 4 dominating. Lol

• Like 1

Shelbyville will challenge. Got a big dominant kid that is coming in next year from the Houston area. He is from Shelbyville but moved a few years ago. He shined playing 6a ball this year as a sophomore.. Will play on both lines.

Also, rumor has it there will be a few move ins that want a chance to play basketball here, but they are good football players as well.

They will be joining a really nice Sophomore and Jr. class.

5 hours ago, Easttxmaniac said:

Just saw that SA is returning all 11 on offense is that true. Thats unheard of now days. And 8 on defense. If that's the case they wilk run away with that district. 

They’d run away with that district if they didn’t bring anyone back 

• Like 2
  • LOL! 1

On 3/10/2019 at 11:16 AM, villagegenius said:

Until someone beats them in the playoffs, SA has to be the favorite. And won’t get tested until round 3 in the playoffs.

Garrison returns a bunch of those skill kids but I think big boys were seniors. 

Tenaha will be interesting to see how they do. They should still be good, but graduated some really good talent. 

Joaquin has established themselves as atleast a yearly participant and got over the first round hump. 

Carlisle graduates their two best playmakers, but younger turner is a stud and they have a good program going over there. 

Alto loses very little to graduation, but have to get past Carlisle in district to avoid District 11 champ in 2nd round and then SA in the 3rd. 

Garrison loses 3 year starters at QB, LG, and tackles on offense and leading receiver from last year.  On Defense lose 2 starters on DLine, 2 starters at LB, and 2 in the secondary.  Lots of skilled players there for next year, big question is to find 3 big boys to replace the linemen and who will run the offense.  But the baseball team is doing real good right now. Go Dawgs! 

On 3/22/2019 at 3:12 PM, DawgPound73 said:

Garrison loses 3 year starters at QB, LG, and tackles on offense and leading receiver from last year.  On Defense lose 2 starters on DLine, 2 starters at LB, and 2 in the secondary.  Lots of skilled players there for next year, big question is to find 3 big boys to replace the linemen and who will run the offense.  But the baseball team is doing real good right now. Go Dawgs! 

Judging from the size of players on JV and let’s not mention the JR High group...the Bulldogs will have size for a long stretch.  Don’t know what they been feedin’ them boys 7th and 8th grade but they are, by far, the largest group in Jr. High I have seen.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2019 at 11:06 PM, HulaKat said:

Judging from the size of players on JV and let’s not mention the JR High group...the Bulldogs will have size for a long stretch.  Don’t know what they been feedin’ them boys 7th and 8th grade but they are, by far, the largest group in Jr. High I have seen.  

Garrison has a long history of quality big boys. When they come up with a good group of skill kids to put with them, they tend to do good things. 

48 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Garrison has a long history of quality big boys. When they come up with a good group of skill kids to put with them, they tend to do good things. 

I have several sons of a couple of my nephews in grade school / JR High that are going to be some big dudes ... a couple of them are already over 200lbs ... their dads were 285 -300 range ......

34 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I have several sons of a couple of my nephews in grade school / JR High that are going to be some big dudes ... a couple of them are already over 200lbs ... their dads were 285 -300 range ......

When you’ve got a mass of humanity like that and they’re well coached in a good scheme, you can move the ball very effectively with average RBs. A kid like Porter running behind them is a nightmare for a DC. 

San Augustine has all starters on offense returning and a quarterback coming to SA with size and an arm. The JV has talented skill players that may be getting the call up, the receiving core is going to be stronger than last years, they aren't losing anyone, and two big JV kids are developing. The most dangerous offense in the district for sure. To me SA is a lock to win and not have competition till at least round 3.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WolfNation said:

San Augustine has all starters on offense returning and a quarterback coming to SA with size and an arm. The JV has talented skill players that may be getting the call up, the receiving core is going to be stronger than years past with two JV kids over 6ft with speed and hands. The most dangerous offense in the district for sure. To me SA is a lock to win and not have competition till at least round 3.

Hard to think that the receivers this year will be better than the 2017 group.

Garrison's big question mark is who is going to play QB ... I would more than likely convert one of the Watts twins to QB or either play #25 from last season, I think his name is Rodriguez  ... I don't think the JV QB would be a good choice at all.  He can't be over 5'4" and  buck 20 ... 

• 1 month later...

I’ve been looking at coaches in this region/ division, and the turnover recently has been huge. As far as I know, Coach Hardee at Centerville is the longest tenured coach in the region at his current job. Marty Murr at San Augustine and Wade Lawson at Joaquin are tied for second going into their fifth season. There’s a few guys going into their third year, several second year guys, and a whole bunch of debut guys. 

13 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I’ve been looking at coaches in this region/ division, and the turnover recently has been huge. As far as I know, Coach Hardee at Centerville is the longest tenured coach in the region at his current job. Marty Murr at San Augustine and Wade Lawson at Joaquin are tied for second going into their fifth season. There’s a few guys going into their third year, several second year guys, and a whole bunch of debut guys. 

I posted this more as a question than a statement. Is this kind of turnover good? How many of these jobs opened up because someone moved on to so-called “bigger and better” jobs? How many were because a successful coach retired? How many were let go because of a lack of success? Do some schools have unrealistic expectations? On one hand, I see it as a positive when younger coaches like Carlisle’s Clay Baker and Tenaha’s Robert Tamplin are getting an opportunity. On the other hand, some of these programs are suffering from a lack of stability, and it shows up on the field. I think Coach David Benbow is exactly what Shelbyville needed after going through three ADs in two years. That’s just one example of a program that needed a dose of common sense to get back on track. Thoughts anyone? 

Just now, trueblue82 said:

I posted this more as a question than a statement. Is this kind of turnover good? How many of these jobs opened up because someone moved on to so-called “bigger and better” jobs? How many were because a successful coach retired? How many were let go because of a lack of success? Do some schools have unrealistic expectations? On one hand, I see it as a positive when younger coaches like Carlisle’s Clay Baker and Tenaha’s Robert Tamplin are getting an opportunity. On the other hand, some of these programs are suffering from a lack of stability, and it shows up on the field. I think Coach David Benbow is exactly what Shelbyville needed after going through three ADs in two years. That’s just one example of a program that needed a dose of common sense to get back on track. Thoughts anyone? 

Sometimes the community coaches dont want common sense. I agree about benbow. Heard that he runs old school offense. A good decision based on your info about the dragons. He can build from that, but you cannot always build from the new stuff. Got to learn to block and tackle first.