Best of East Texas HS Girls Basketball Players...

PelvisPresley

a mention was made in the NBA topic about WNBA and then it got to great women players and I brought this up. I thought it better to bring it to a bigger audience...

it's too bad that it took so long for the WNBA to get going...there really have been some amazing HS GIRLS basketball royalty...players from all over East Texas...I personally can just think of a ton from great teams from:

Spring Hill (Bonnie Moore, Linda Clark, Dianne Johnson

Longview (Angela Lawson)

Quitman (Jennifer Clark, Ashlea Atwood

Harmony

Gilmer (Sheri Yocum, Sheron Yocum, Stacy Smith, Terail Walker

Winnsboro (Stacy Stevens, Sara Hinkley, Sarah Mitchell, Amanda Kellar)

Avinger (Sherea Mathis, Renee Dunn

Canton (Christi Cox, Kellie Fitzgerald

Tatum (Kathy Norris, Chandra Shaw)

Karnack (Crystal Allen)

obviously this is just a small sampling of the superstars and HS heroes that many of the schools had...many good memories/achievements. feel free to add more to the list for schools or add some other schools...could even add some great highlight game memories for some of these players or others. 

Mt. Vernon 

Aly Sherman- Played at Central Arkansas and West Texas A&M)

Jayme Adair- Played at Central Arkansas

Rylee Keys- 2018 State Championship team

Alissa Hill- 2018 State Championship team

Annie Coffey- 2018 State Championship team

Samantha Lowry- 2018 State Championship team

All the 2018 players could have played in college but they decided not to for various reasons.

Liberty-Eylau--Aarica Ray, starter at Louisiana Tech; Texarkana Gazette's Player of the Year 3 times including freshman year

Jamilia Ganter played for Texas A&M, now assistant coach at University of Houston

Mattilyn McIntire played at UALR and Texas A&M Commerce, played professionally in Europe

Imani Wright played at Baylor and Florida State, 3rd round WNBA draft pick

Sharde' Collins played for UALR, now assistant coach at UALR

Lacey Middlebrooks outstanding in basketball, but played softball for Minnesota and Tulsa, now head softball coach at Pittsburg High School

Grapeland - Trenia Tillis (McDonalds All American; SFA Hall of Fame; 3-time All-Southland Conference; 1994 Southland Conference Player of the Year; SLC 1990's All-Decade Team; Played professionally in Europe; Currently Head WBB Coach at TJC)

• Like 3

On 3/28/2019 at 1:09 AM, 68Hornet said:

Liberty-Eylau--Aarica Ray, starter at Louisiana Tech; Texarkana Gazette's Player of the Year 3 times including freshman year

Jamilia Ganter played for Texas A&M, now assistant coach at University of Houston

Mattilyn McIntire played at UALR and Texas A&M Commerce, played professionally in Europe

Lacey Middlebrooks outstanding in basketball, but played softball for Minnesota and Tulsa, now head softball coach at Pittsburg High School

On 3/27/2019 at 1:44 PM, fourtwofive said:

Mt. Vernon 

All the 2018 players could have played in college but they decided not to for various reasons.

I totally forgot one of the greatest MV players

Maddie Thames- played at Southeastern Oklahoma.  A great point guard!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/28/2019 at 9:16 AM, topher805 said:

Grapeland - Trenia Tillis (McDonalds All American; SFA Hall of Fame; 3-time All-Southland Conference; 1994 Southland Conference Player of the Year; SLC 1990's All-Decade Team; Played professionally in Europe; Currently Head WBB Coach at TJC)

Back in the day when I was calling high school basketball, I would go to Grapeland and officiate in that old airplane hanger. I remember seeing Trenia as a freshman playing on the varsity. She was amazing. I knew then when she was 14 years old how good a player she was going to be and she did not prove me wrong. One of the best high school girls basketball players I’ve ever seen. 

BTW, That was also when Grapeland had Tony Jones, who went on to play football for UT in the Houston Oilers. They won the state championship in basketball, I believe, in 1987. There were some serious talent down in Grapeland in the late 80s. That was also when Grapeland had Tony Jones, he went on to play for UT and the Houston Oilers. They won the state championship in basketball in 1987, I believe. There were some serious talent down in Grapeland in the late 80s and the girls won state in 1989 when Trenia was a senior. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 1:09 AM, 68Hornet said:

My niece played against Middlebrooks in the state softball championship.  She was a beast.  Very intimidating

On 3/26/2019 at 10:42 AM, CoachPelvisPresley said:

a mention was made in the NBA topic about WNBA and then it got to great women players and I brought this up. I thought it better to bring it to a bigger audience...

it's too bad that it took so long for the WNBA to get going...there really have been some amazing HS GIRLS basketball royalty...players from all over East Texas...I personally can just think of a ton from great teams from:

Spring Hill (Bonnie Moore, Linda Clark, Dianne Johnson

Longview (Angela Lawson)

Quitman (Jennifer Clark, Ashlea Atwood

Harmony

Gilmer (Sheri Yocum, Sheron Yocum, Stacy Smith, Terail Walker

Winnsboro (Stacy Stevens, Sara Hinkley, Sarah Mitchell, Amanda Kellar)

Avinger (Sherea Mathis, Renee Dunn

Canton (Christi Cox, Kellie Fitzgerald

Tatum (Kathy Norris, Chandra Shaw)

Karnack (Crystal Allen)

obviously this is just a small sampling of the superstars and HS heroes that many of the schools had...many good memories/achievements. feel free to add more to the list for schools or add some other schools...could even add some great highlight game memories for some of these players or others. 

Liberty-Eylau's Aarica Ray, Imani Wright, Jamilia Ganter, Mattlyn McIntyre, Sharde Collins were all Division I players in college. Ray in my opinion is the best Texarkana has had that I've seen, although Wright was very special as the others.

On 3/27/2019 at 1:44 PM, fourtwofive said:

Mt. Vernon 

On 7/3/2019 at 11:10 PM, TexasFTW said:

There's too many to name from Winnsboro. Winnsboro girls basketball is nationally known though under coach Buddy Hawkins 

Stacy Stephens, she is the best female player in East Texas ,for sure, and one of the best in the state.  

MVP in the State and MVP of the Big XII.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, gtee2 said:

Yessir! Female Allen Iverson!

no lie....she was better than all the boys in her age group until about 7th or 8th grade.  As a matter of fact she played with the boys all through little league.