Matthew Boiling

The kid is amazing,  but it's not a world record because it was a wind-aided time.    He has a bright future, because he is great at more than one event.  Many high school kids peak in sprints early, but this kid is great at the long jump and 400m, so if 100 and 200 don't work out, he still has a bright future.

On 5/10/2019 at 2:35 PM, KirtFalcon said:

Why are they claiming it's a world record?  I think Bolt ran something like 9.58 ... 

It's the fastest time by a high school runner. Henry Neal and Roy Martin were probably faster.

so there are a couple different records for teenagers to achieve.  You have the national HIGH SCHOOL record, which is the record achieved at a HIGH SCHOOL event. Then you have the World Junior Track and Field record (which is for ages either Under 18 or Under 20 yrs old).  Matthew Boling is 18 yrs old, so any record he runs would either be a National High School record or World Junior Under 20 record (which is kids 19 or below).

Boling first ran a 9.98 a couple weeks ago. This was the fastest time under any conditions for a HIGH SCHOOL event. However the wind was above 2.0 m/s, so it is technically not a record.  But Trayvon Bromell as a 18 yr old Freshman at Baylor (same age as Boling) ran a 9.77 at a track meet at Texas Tech...so the fastest under 20 or World Junior record under any condition is Trayvon Bromell...although it was also ran at a wind higher than 2.0m/s so neither are a record.  The actual World Junior record (under 20) is 9.97 by Bromell which he ran at age 18 at the NCAA championships his freshman yr at Baylor.  

Also, Trentavis Friday ran a 10.00, at a USA junior track meet during the summer after he graduated high school, before he enrolled in college...so this is the fastest LEGAL time ran by a HIGH SCHOOL KID.

What Boling set this past weekend is the HIGH SCHOOL record at a HIGH SCHOOL track event when he ran a 10.13.  The  previous record was 10.15 by Henry Neal of Greenville TX set in 1990.    Roy Martin of Dallas Roosevelt  has the national HIGH SCHOOL record in the 200m dash, which is 20.13, which was ran at a HIGH SCHOOL meet in 1985.  However, Noah Lyles at age 18, just after high school graduation, ran a 20.09 at the Olympic Trials.

So recap....Boling has the record for the fast time ran at a HIGH SCHOOL track meet...which is 10.13, beating Henry Neal record.  Also, Roy Martin has the record in the 200m for the fastest time ran at a HIGH SCHOOL track meet.  I hope this explains it all...lol

3 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

so there are a couple different records for teenagers to achieve.  You have the national HIGH SCHOOL record, which is the record achieved at a HIGH SCHOOL event. Then you have the World Junior Track and Field record (which is for ages either Under 18 or Under 20 yrs old).  Matthew Boling is 18 yrs old, so any record he runs would either be a National High School record or World Junior Under 20 record (which is kids 19 or below).

Boling first ran a 9.98 a couple weeks ago. This was the fastest time under any conditions for a HIGH SCHOOL event. However the wind was above 2.0 m/s, so it is technically not a record.  But Trayvon Bromell as a 18 yr old Freshman at Baylor (same age as Boling) ran a 9.77 at a track meet at Texas Tech...so the fastest under 20 or World Junior record under any condition is Trayvon Bromell...although it was also ran at a wind higher than 2.0m/s so neither are a record.  The actual World Junior record (under 20) is 9.97 by Bromell which he ran at age 18 at the NCAA championships his freshman yr at Baylor.  

Also, Trentavis Friday ran a 10.00, at a USA junior track meet during the summer after he graduated high school, before he enrolled in college...so this is the fastest LEGAL time ran by a HIGH SCHOOL KID.

What Boling set this past weekend is the HIGH SCHOOL record at a HIGH SCHOOL track event when he ran a 10.13.  The  previous record was 10.15 by Henry Neal of Greenville TX set in 1990.    Roy Martin of Dallas Roosevelt  has the national HIGH SCHOOL record in the 200m dash, which is 20.13, which was ran at a HIGH SCHOOL meet in 1985.  However, Noah Lyles at age 18, just after high school graduation, ran a 20.09 at the Olympic Trials.

So recap....Boling has the record for the fast time ran at a HIGH SCHOOL track meet...which is 10.13, beating Henry Neal record.  Also, Roy Martin has the record in the 200m for the fastest time ran at a HIGH SCHOOL track meet.  I hope this explains it all...lol

Short form. Boling is fast. There are a couple of guys out there faster right now. USA Track has a bright future.

• Like 1

JTFAN: "Also, Trentavis Friday ran a 10.00, at a USA junior track meet during the summer after he graduated high school, before he enrolled in college...so this is the fastest LEGAL time ran by a HIGH SCHOOL KID."

If you graduated from high school you are no longer "a high school kid".  Sorry.

I guess you think everyone who never enrolls in college is still a high school kid? LOL

• Thumbs Down 1

3 hours ago, topher805 said:

the fast (should be: fastest)  time ran at a HIGH SCHOOL track meet...which is 10.13, beating Henry Neal

It's THE high school record PERIOD.  Just like you have meet records, or Olympic records or World records. Boiling has High school record.

Boiling holds record.  PERIOD.  No reason to compare his times to college runners or what runners did the summer after high school.  Why you do that? That's like crying that the guy who just won the Olympic gold medal didn't have the fastest time that year or didn't set a world record so he's not really that fast and people shouldn't celebrate his medal.  Debbie downer man!  Given Boiling hasn't been training 100 long, and has yet to get college coaching, who knows what his peak time will be.  Time will tell.  Best of luck to him!  I like the tweet from Ado Boldon:  "As a sub-ten guy, I’ll say this: sometimes you have to run a time wind-aided first, before you can run it with legal wind."

22 minutes ago, Confucius said:

It's THE high school record PERIOD.  Just like you have meet records, or Olympic records or World records. Boiling has High school record.

Boiling holds record.  PERIOD.  No reason to compare his times to college runners or what runners did the summer after high school.  Why you do that? That's like crying that the guy who just won the Olympic gold medal didn't have the fastest time that year or didn't set a world record so he's not really that fast and people shouldn't celebrate his medal.  Debbie downer man!  Given Boiling hasn't been training 100 long, and has yet to get college coaching, who knows what his peak time will be.  Time will tell.  Best of luck to him!  I like the tweet from Ado Boldon:  "As a sub-ten guy, I’ll say this: sometimes you have to run a time wind-aided first, before you can run it with legal wind."

Take a deep breath...I was just kidding around. I understand that he owns THE high school record PERIOD. An amazing accomplishment that I don't even was his biggest highlight of the weekend. 

11 hours ago, Confucius said:

JTFAN: "Also, Trentavis Friday ran a 10.00, at a USA junior track meet during the summer after he graduated high school, before he enrolled in college...so this is the fastest LEGAL time ran by a HIGH SCHOOL KID."

If you graduated from high school you are no longer "a high school kid".  Sorry.

I guess you think everyone who never enrolls in college is still a high school kid? LOL

Confucius....I didn't come up with the criteria, I am only making you aware of it.  There are various records for High school age students.  You have NFHS (National Federation for High Schools) records...which is the record he broke, and you have the Track and Field News Record which says the student is still a high school student until Aug.31 or until they actually enroll in college...so post graduate high school meets count until.   

So no need to get snarky with me, because it's not my rule.   I was just trying to clear up any confusion on records.

Regardless, Boling is amazing. He has the NFHS High school record., and is probably one of the most talented Track and Field athletes in a while, because he is great at several events. (100, 200, 400, and Long Jump). He has the potential to be an all-time great.

10 hours ago, Confucius said:

Actually for record purposes it does matter.  If a 16 yr runs a wind legal 9.95 at a USA Junior Track meet in the summer between his soph and junior yr, and then a 18 yr old high school senior runs a 9.96 at a school track meet.....Who has the high school record?   Well technically both.  

This is why they have different records, because there are plenty of kids that run in meets other than at their high school, especially in the summer.

On 5/13/2019 at 11:34 PM, JTFAN99 said:

Confucius....I didn't come up with the criteria, I am only making you aware of it.  There are various records for High school age students.  You have NFHS (National Federation for High Schools) records...which is the record he broke, and you have the Track and Field News Record which says the student is still a high school student until Aug.31 or until they actually enroll in college...so post graduate high school meets count until.   

So no need to get snarky with me, because it's not my rule.   I was just trying to clear up any confusion on records.

Regardless, Boling is amazing. He has the NFHS High school record., and is probably one of the most talented Track and Field athletes in a while, because he is great at several events. (100, 200, 400, and Long Jump). He has the potential to be an all-time great.

Clear up confusion? Sorry, seems like you were adding to confusion by bringing up extraneous records not related to the one Bolinger broke.

And in some ways, you seemed to be jumping on the bandwagon of critics of his prior 9.98 run which was wind aided (by mentioning other runners with other records), but he follows it up with another strong run at UIL.  And if anything, he looks like he has more in the tank because he isn't being pushed in 100M races.  Witness how he was pushed in the relay where he had to come from behind and then produces a 44.75!

In long jump, he only takes 2 jumps, and then saves his energy for the other events.

Can't believe only running 100M since March and seems to be getting stronger with each race.

Wonder if he will post sub 10 this summer (not wind aided).  Would not be surprised at all if he steps it up against stronger competition and gets another PR.

4 hours ago, Confucius said:

Clear up confusion? Sorry, seems like you were adding to confusion by bringing up extraneous records not related to the one Bolinger broke.

And in some ways, you seemed to be jumping on the bandwagon of critics of his prior 9.98 run which was wind aided (by mentioning other runners with other records), but he follows it up with another strong run at UIL.  And if anything, he looks like he has more in the tank because he isn't being pushed in 100M races.  Witness how he was pushed in the relay where he had to come from behind and then produces a 44.75!

In long jump, he only takes 2 jumps, and then saves his energy for the other events.

Can't believe only running 100M since March and seems to be getting stronger with each race.

Wonder if he will post sub 10 this summer.  Would not be surprised at all if he steps it up against stronger competition and gets another PR.

How did I add to the confusion?  The very first post on here stated that his 9.98 was a world record.  But it wasn't...I was only trying to clear that up and explain the different records out there for high school age students because a poster asked about Roy Martin and Henry Neal.  In no way am I a critic of this kid. For some reason, you were looking for a debate because you thought I was a critic of his.  This kid is amazing with or without a world record.  And I expressed that on previous posts. 

By the way, he will go under 10 sec this summer. He has not ran in ideal conditions this spring due to the rain and cool weather. To be honest. I'm sure the shoe companies are after him hard, and its possible he may not enroll in Georgia and turn pro. His biggest problems will be what event to do, because he is great in 4.  

5 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

🤣

he should have just joined the other super fast dude and signed w/ the Horns

🤘

honestly, he should probably go pro now. Hopefully he follows this up with a strong yr at Georgia because if he does...the money the shoe companies will offer will be great.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

honestly, he should probably go pro now. Hopefully he follows this up with a strong yr at Georgia because if he does...the money the shoe companies will offer will be great.

Definitely. I doubt there's much that the Georgia track program could do for him that Twitter hasn't already done. 99 times out of a hundred I would say an athlete needs to go to college and develop (both as a person as well as an athlete) but this kids is sitting on a winning lottery ticket. 

If I'm his daddy, I tell him to collect his high school diploma and head right over to USA Track. Then I would hire a national PR firm to start promoting him. The Olympics are his future. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, AKA said:

Definitely. I doubt there's much that the Georgia track program could do for him that Twitter hasn't already done. 99 times out of a hundred I would say an athlete needs to go to college and develop (both as a person as well as an athlete) but this kids is sitting on a winning lottery ticket. 

If I'm his daddy, I tell him to collect his high school diploma and head right over to USA Track. Then I would hire a national PR firm to start promoting him. The Olympics are his future. 

+1000....Track an Field is a sport where you have to capitalize when your money making potential is the greatest, and It's probably the biggest it will ever be for him, unless he has a great yr at Georgia.  But he is taking a huge chance.  Trentavis Friday ran a 10.00 at age 18 and hasn't ran that fast since then.  Trayvon Bromell did manage to have a great yr at Baylor and was able to turn pro...but he has been out for two yrs recovering from an injury and his future is uncertain.  And both of those guys are only 23.  

Most of the time I am a college guy.  And I wouldn't fault him for going to college because those are the best yrs of a person's life...but the window can be very short in Track and Field, and even the very good runners don't make that great of money. so you have to take advantage of this situation. 

I will say his future is probably brighter because he is great at 4 events. so even if he doesn't get much better in 100m, he will probably be a great 400m runner and long jump guy.

• Like 1