UPDATE: Mount Vernon hires Art Briles

1 hour ago, mrclean69 said:

I'm sure they had the conversation. I don't think it involved the whole town. I'm not saying its not a good hire, but I don't think its out of line to wonder what they say to the community that asks the same question. Why pay Pinnell to do half a job? If you don't make Finney teach you are paying 2 guys to do half a job. Remember we are talking about taxpayer money. Pinnell comes out of this golden. About to eat a check for a year. And his contract doesn't matter. ADs are reassigned and asked to resign all the time. 

The community asked for and support the coaching change.  But they also wanted to show respect to Pinnell for his 20 years of service to WISD and allow him to finish out his contract.  Maybe they don’t bring in an OC for 2019 and Finney handles the HC and OC roles?  Maybe Finney handles the HC and DC roles?  They will find a way to make the math work and the tax payers will support it.

2 hours ago, Bulldogbacker78 said:

I heard a successful AA coach Just North of there may have applied.

I was wondering how long it would take to him try and move up. Thought he would come after the cooper job last year but was told he did not even apply.

11 hours ago, Bulldogbacker78 said:

I heard a successful AA coach Just North of there may have applied.

Coach Thomas’ Simental ranch is just south of the great town of Bogata and slightly west of the thriving community of Talco. MV supt was recently spotted dropping salt cubes in one of the creep feeders there on Thomas’ land while yelling “sooooooweeeee” to get the cattle to the trough. That right there tells me MV has there man. 

19 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

The community asked for and support the coaching change.  But they also wanted to show respect to Pinnell for his 20 years of service to WISD and allow him to finish out his contract.  Maybe they don’t bring in an OC for 2019 and Finney handles the HC and OC roles?  Maybe Finney handles the HC and DC roles?  They will find a way to make the math work and the tax payers will support it.

Many coaches handle the HC and being one side of the ball coordinator.  It's not that big a deal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chubbychecker said:

Many coaches handle the HC and being one side of the ball coordinator.  It's not that big a deal.

He has no coordinators listed right now in Mt Vernon. Would think he at least has 1, but either way, I dont think it will be an issue for him to call one side of the ball. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bootleg11 said:

Coach Pinnell is a really good dude.  

Yes he is.  And he has done a lot of good things for WISD during his career.  I applaud him for acknowledging it was time to pass the torch to a younger HC with a fresh vision for the Raiders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Yes he is.  And he has done a lot of good things for WISD during his career.  I applaud him for acknowledging it was time to pass the torch to a younger HC with a fresh vision for the Raiders.

I'm not fan of Winnsboro...but big fan of Pinnell.  Hard to believe he's been HC at Winnsboro that long.  I'm getting old.  He took over for Williams in 98 or 99?  97 was Williams' really good team that ended up not making the playoffs.  Can't remember if he lasted another year or if Pinnell took over after that season.  

8 minutes ago, bootleg11 said:

I'm not fan of Winnsboro...but big fan of Pinnell.  Hard to believe he's been HC at Winnsboro that long.  I'm getting old.  He took over for Williams in 98 or 99?  97 was Williams' really good team that ended up not making the playoffs.  Can't remember if he lasted another year or if Pinnell took over after that season.  

Why are you not a fan of the Raiders?  Yes Pinnell took over after Williams in 1999.  Pinnell is somewhere around 129-92 during that time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jerryhawk111 said:

I’d assume he calls the offense 

Im going to say he will have a hand in both sides of the ball (more so on offense) while delegating different areas to assistant coaches that they might be empowered to use their skills to execute the gameplan

25 minutes ago, chevyman said:

Im going to say he will have a hand in both sides of the ball (more so on offense) while delegating different areas to assistant coaches that they might be empowered to use their skills to execute the gameplan

Creative way of describing it 

2 hours ago, ViewFromAfar said:

Looks like Coach Finney has picked his DC/Head Baseball coach. Coach Blake Worley from Pleasant Grove.

He is getting a good one in Worley.  Blake has done a lot for the PG boys over the last 13 years & is one heck of a guy.  Congrats to him.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 8:05 AM, supermaroon said:

Our coaches always told us that there is not a more classy guy in the coaching business. Congrats coach on an amazing career.

I always felt like Coach Pinnell did the best job of coaching of any team I ever coached against. i enjoyed all of our battles even though he came out on top in most of them

3 hours ago, mrclean69 said:

I've heard he's bringing some guys from MV too. Keeping only a couple of current staff. 

Anyone close to MV heard of a mass exodus of coaches?

I was told that there was potentially ZERO returning boys coaches in MV. Not 100% sure on that though

2 hours ago, PGHawkfan said:

He is getting a good one in Worley.  Blake has done a lot for the PG boys over the last 13 years & is one heck of a guy.  Congrats to him.

Looking forward to having Coach Worley. Only real downside in Winnsboro is he will be the 5th different coach in the last 5 years on the baseball side

12 minutes ago, chevyman said:

I was told that there was potentially ZERO returning boys coaches in MV. Not 100% sure on that though

We are hearing the same rumblings then. Don't know about you but admin was the main reason I heard. That combined with respect for Finney sending some coaches his way. 

• Like 1

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Mount Vernon hires Art Briles