Craig Jones-Kirbyville

12 hours ago, UnclePig said:

Explain to me why Kirbyville’s football team has gone to garbage?? It’s the exact same reason PG wasn’t very good in football when he was there; PG didn’t just all of a sudden start getting great athletes; they’ve had them for as long as I can remember, which is a pretty good while back. The new coach there at PG came in, saw this guy was a problem, and quickly showed him the door. It didn’t take too long after that that PG took off in football. How can anyone argue with that??

exactly, maybe he is a problem maybe he isnt, but you cant deny the correlation

kirbyville went from being a state championship level contender to one of the worst teams in SETX in 3A

• Like 1

i dont know much about kirbyville so i wont try to act like i do. i dont know what they had coming back this year in football but it looks like they had some talent coming back in baseball. jones is one of the best baseball coaches in the state and if you want to argue that then you obviously just have something against him. the jury is still out on him as a football coach, however, i have seen him coach defense and know he has knowledge on that side of the ball. 

as far as his success at PG, no one is saying he was coaching a bunch of scrubs out there. PG has talent and has had talent for years but jones coached and pushed that talent to another level. ive never heard or seen jones tell kids not to play football. ever think that pg wasnt winning at football and the kids just didnt want to play?

On 6/6/2019 at 12:48 PM, RoughnedOdorsRightHook said:

Except Bennett was succeeding, he just ran into a central heights school that had a first rounder throwing for them. 

They actually beat him, the draft pick...1-0 and lost the next two games on day two.

On 6/10/2019 at 4:43 PM, txk85 said:

i dont know much about kirbyville so i wont try to act like i do. i dont know what they had coming back this year in football but it looks like they had some talent coming back in baseball. jones is one of the best baseball coaches in the state and if you want to argue that then you obviously just have something against him. the jury is still out on him as a football coach, however, i have seen him coach defense and know he has knowledge on that side of the ball. 

as far as his success at PG, no one is saying he was coaching a bunch of scrubs out there. PG has talent and has had talent for years but jones coached and pushed that talent to another level. ive never heard or seen jones tell kids not to play football. ever think that pg wasnt winning at football and the kids just didnt want to play?

Jones is amazing baseball coach. And yes Gibson did a great job of convincing kids to play football

UnclePig,

You might want to hold on a minute. Cowboy WAS NOT the Head Football Coach @ PG.  He was the Head Baseball Coach @ PG. I just happen to know all the players that came up thru the PG System back when Cowboy coached up there.

How do I know you ask ? I had many of the players play in our PGYA Baseball program back when we played in the Red River Texas Teenage League. Got to see these young men start out in T-Ball, Machine Pitch ,  Kid Pitch JV Ball and Finally Varsity Ball and the STATE CHAMPS!!!  2010, 2012 !!  We got to witness this 1st hand up here and what a Run it was .

6 Years in a row to Austin Texas.  I am gonna say that WILL NOT happen again up here in PG. The work ethic, discipline, and Respect for the game is lacking from what it was when Cowboy was up here. This program has taken a step back when it comes to those 3 things I mentioned. Just Look at that TRADITION Board in Right Field next time you go there. The current staff is not responsible for that Ol COWBOY  and his past Players are.  I know cause I was there 1st  hand. Hell I even furnished the Drill Stem Post that Tradition Board.

Them Wildcats from Kirbyville will be making a run just hang on .

On 6/10/2019 at 12:02 AM, UnclePig said:

It’s the exact same reason PG wasn’t very good in football when he was there; PG didn’t just all of a sudden start getting great athletes; they’ve had them for as long as I can remember, which is a pretty good while back. 

back in the early 2000s and even up to a few years ago players were leaving pg to go to Texas high. Texas had the recent success and that's where kids thought they had to go to get a ring or a scholarship. Now pg has open enrollment and the recent success kids don't feel the need to transfer to Texas high and there are some transferring from tisd.

pg has had athletes but not like some of these kids they have now.

7 hours ago, txk85 said:

back in the early 2000s and even up to a few years ago players were leaving pg to go to Texas high. Texas had the recent success and that's where kids thought they had to go to get a ring or a scholarship. Now pg has open enrollment and the recent success kids don't feel the need to transfer to Texas high and there are some transferring from tisd.

pg has had athletes but not like some of these kids they have now.

Agreed 

30 minutes ago, TheGodfather said:

The change(d) demographics of certain parts of town has also contributed to PG’s football rise, but we can also give a lot of credit to Gibson and staff for the tremendous job they have done. 

Reckon how the Football Players and the Basketball Players at PG  are getting along these days? 

The Demographics you mentioned --Open Enrollment .  

On 6/18/2019 at 9:24 AM, RAM said:

UnclePig,

You might want to hold on a minute. Cowboy WAS NOT the Head Football Coach @ PG.  He was the Head Baseball Coach @ PG. I just happen to know all the players that came up thru the PG System back when Cowboy coached up there.

How do I know you ask ? I had many of the players play in our PGYA Baseball program back when we played in the Red River Texas Teenage League. Got to see these young men start out in T-Ball, Machine Pitch ,  Kid Pitch JV Ball and Finally Varsity Ball and the STATE CHAMPS!!!  2010, 2012 !!  We got to witness this 1st hand up here and what a Run it was .

6 Years in a row to Austin Texas.  I am gonna say that WILL NOT happen again up here in PG. The work ethic, discipline, and Respect for the game is lacking from what it was when Cowboy was up here. This program has taken a step back when it comes to those 3 things I mentioned. Just Look at that TRADITION Board in Right Field next time you go there. The current staff is not responsible for that Ol COWBOY  and his past Players are.  I know cause I was there 1st  hand. Hell I even furnished the Drill Stem Post that Tradition Board.

Them Wildcats from Kirbyville will be making a run just hang on .

13 hours ago, RAM said:

Reckon how the Football Players and the Basketball Players at PG  are getting along these days? 

Craig Jones is a great high school coach, with that said I think you're giving him a bit too much credit. John Phillips his pitching coach was a big-time bonus. The current staff really hasn't let up at all. Six trips to Austin may not happen again, but Jones was blessed with some incredible talent. Bill Marchant and Rick Fowler were also incredible high school baseball coaches in Texarkana, and there's been others. Don't get me wrong, I think coach Jones was incredible, and I call him friend.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 68Hornet said:

Craig Jones is a great high school coach, with that said I think you're giving him a bit too much credit. John Phillips his pitching coach was a big-time bonus. The current staff really hasn't let up at all. Six trips to Austin may not happen again, but Jones was blessed with some incredible talent. Bill Marchant and Rick Fowler were also incredible high school baseball coaches in Texarkana, and there's been others. Don't get me wrong, I think coach Jones was incredible, and I call him friend.

You are correct about Coach Phillips as a pitching coach , No doubt.

Too much Credit? I don't think so. Did you get to watch Kirbyville the last few years?

Not near the # of talented players down @ Kirbyville, but they worked their butts off and made deep runs in playoffs. This bunch will continue to get better under Cowboy.

No Coach Philips down there, Just hard work and determination , grit and grind. Those Kirbyville players are learning from the best.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 9:15 AM, RAM said:

Your open enrollment still requires a transfer application and approval by the campus principal. It’s not as easy as you make it out to be. I doubt that’s had as much impact as you think. 

I think Texas high not winning has helped more than anything. like I said I think kids staying at pg and not transferring has helped. I'll also give Gibson some credit on getting the athletes recruited and signing college scholarships. in the few years that he's been there, I bet he's had as many kids sign as the previous 2 coaches had if not more.

On 6/20/2019 at 9:24 AM, TheGodfather said:

Your open enrollment still requires a transfer application and approval by the campus principal. It’s not as easy as you make it out to be. I doubt that’s had as much impact as you think. 

You would be surprise @ what I know about what has went on as far as students coming into PG School System. It's  easier than you think it is.

1 hour ago, RAM said:

You would be surprise @ what I know about what has went on as far as students coming into PG School System. It's  easier than you think it is.

Regardless there is still a transfer application required. You can’t just live south of I-30 and show up at PG one day without a form. Whether you can play or not. However, you CAN live between Moore’s Lane and I-30 and be in PGs zone of attendance. 

On 6/21/2019 at 10:21 AM, Hogman2018 said:

PG  coach is know where the coach that Jones was! In fact you give Fowler the same kids at LE theywould be whole lot better! 

Hogman, you sure got that right about that Current PG Baseball Coach.

Not even in the same League as Craig Jones.

• 2 months later...

Explain to me why Kirbyville’s football team has gone to garbage?? It’s the exact same reason PG wasn’t very good in football when he was there; PG didn’t just all of a sudden start getting great athletes; they’ve had them for as long as I can remember, which is a pretty good while back. The new coach there at PG came in, saw this guy was a problem, and quickly showed him the door. It didn’t take too long after that that PG took off in football. How can anyone argue with that??

I don't think Kirbyville football has gone to garbage because of Coach jones in just 2 years if this is what you are trying to imply.  I also disagree with you about the PG coach seeing Jones as a problem and getting rid of him. The problem was not solely Jones. PG coaches just can't handle Jones old school style of coaching which is not babying the kids, holding them accountable and not being fake like the new coach. And although Jones was at PG, he was not the head coach of football so if we are talking about why they weren't as good is because there were other head coaches, whom I know Jones did not agree with their way of coaching either, and they weren't very good. But that blame is on the prior head coaches, not all jones.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 12:21 AM, Darkhorse said:

I don't think Kirbyville football has gone to garbage because of Coach jones in just 2 years if this is what you are trying to imply.  I also disagree with you about the PG coach seeing Jones as a problem and getting rid of him. The problem was not solely Jones. PG coaches just can't handle Jones old school style of coaching which is not babying the kids, holding them accountable and not being fake like the new coach. And although Jones was at PG, he was not the head coach of football so if we are talking about why they weren't as good is because there were other head coaches, whom I know Jones did not agree with their way of coaching either, and they weren't very good. But that blame is on the prior head coaches, not all jones.

Good Response here Darkhorse. You nailed it !!!!!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It wasn't Jones leaving that is the reason for the success. That is a coincidence. 

The new AD/Coach is the reason. He brought in a new culture that was sadly lacking. 

There was no joy left, no motivation, no inspiration left in the program. the change was needed.

His coaching on the defense was NOT the issue.

There is so much more that is really just his own business now, and is water under the bridge, so if you don't know what really happened, you don't need to know.

25 minutes ago, futfan said:

It wasn't Jones leaving that is the reason for the success. That is a coincidence. 

The new AD/Coach is the reason. He brought in a new culture that was sadly lacking. 

There was no joy left, no motivation, no inspiration left in the program. the change was needed.

His coaching on the defense was NOT the issue.

There is so much more that is really just his own business now, and is water under the bridge, so if you don't know what really happened, you don't need to know.

if it is water under the bridge why are walking 10 miles downstream to get a bucket of water just to  haul it back to the spot you came from?