Dave Campbell's 2019 3A Div 1 Preseason Top 10

WB6485

Guest Tiger03lb

#1 & 2 are right. GW, Goliad, EC should be ranked higher. CY at the 5/6 spot very surprised by Atlanta and Yoakum ranking

Well, I guess I can't argue too much since we have the same 10 teams....just slightly different order.

My top 10 (back from January) 

1. Grandview
2. Malakoff
3. Cameron Yoe
4. Gladewater
5. East Chambers
6. Franklin
7. Atlanta
8. Brock
9. Goliad
10. Yoakum

Having Grandview and Malakoff at 1/2 was simply expected.   Yoakum has a lot to replace, but who would you put ahead of them besides Goliad?  Potentially Edna, which I do have at 11.  It certainly does appear that region I & IV could be a little "down" this season, but time will tell.  

If I have the time, I may look at expanding this to more divisions or classifications next year.  

4 hours ago, GWBears01 said:

Seeing how Atlanta didn’t beat Gladewater at the JV or varsity levels last year I’m not sure I buy them at #3 and GW at #7 but I guess we will find out quickly as they play each other the second week of the season.  

Never no we might surprise some people. I plan on Atlanta to be more balanced this year for sure. Still got a couple RBs that will be good too.

Guest Tiger03lb
2 hours ago, lionpride08 said:

#1 Grandview vs #2 Malakoff in week 3 i believe game is in malakoff

Yes sir! Going to be a great game! Can't wait. In the Driskel era he has only lost 5 games at home in his 10 years here. The last 5 years only 2 losts (1 to Teague in 15' and last season against Kemp breaking our 21 or 22 game win steak at home by a safety). 

Guest Tiger03lb
22 minutes ago, BigBoyRabbit03 said:

Never no we might surprise some people. I plan on Atlanta to be more balanced this year for sure. Still got a couple RBs that will be good too.

I was really impressed with the backup rb when we played you guys. I think you guys will be fine there. How are you guys looking at QB and line?

QB will most likely be McClures son. He can sling it around pretty good. Very Accurate as for Oline I’m not really sure. That’s usually Atlanta weakness but we usually are 10 times faster then what we was last year. I was really surprised how much slower we was last year.

1 hour ago, Tiger03lb said:

Yes sir! Going to be a great game! Can't wait. In the Driskel era he has only lost 5 games at home in his 10 years here. The last 5 years only 2 losts (1 to Teague in 15' and last season against Kemp breaking our 21 or 22 game win steak at home by a safety). 

Should be a great game... We host Mart week 3 but i will be keepin up with the game

26 minutes ago, BearFan13 said:

Yup and GW will be sprinkling some more highly talented sophomores around the field this year 

Exciting times for the Bears. Young and talented. If Berry can rebuild the defense after losing some seniors who really impacted that side it will be a great season. One thing Berry always seems to be able to do is build a defense so I expect no less. So many talented sophomores that I expect to see the skill position players from that group on defense until more positions open up with graduations.  The backfield will be scary for defenses the next 2 years!

10 minutes ago, GWBears01 said:

Exciting times for the Bears. Young and talented. If Berry can rebuild the defense after losing some seniors who really impacted that side it will be a great season. One thing Berry always seems to be able to do is build a defense so I expect no less. So many talented sophomores that I expect to see the skill position players from that group on defense until more positions open up with graduations.  The backfield will be scary for defenses the next 2 years!

I’m curious what direction the offense takes now that Louvier is gone. I’m sure we will see the normal stuff we see every year, but we all know the talent in the backfield is capable of doing a lot more. 

Guest Tiger03lb

It'll be a given that Carter will get the ball most of the games. If GW can pass and spread the ball some this year, that sure will open up that offense a lot more. You got the qb's and rb's, just not sure on wide outs. 

Who took over at OC? Louvier is a hell of a play caller, he was a great asset. 

1 hour ago, Tiger03lb said:

It'll be a given that Carter will get the ball most of the games. If GW can pass and spread the ball some this year, that sure will open up that offense a lot more. You got the qb's and rb's, just not sure on wide outs. 

Who took over at OC? Louvier is a hell of a play caller, he was a great asset. 

I’m assuming it was a promotion from within. Our OC prior to Louvier coming back to GW last year was still on staff. I’d think we’d be more pass happy then last year with the the young QBs having a year under their belt. Losing TC hurts but we still have some size at receiver. 

10 minutes ago, BearFan13 said:

I’m assuming it was a promotion from within. Our OC prior to Louvier coming back to GW last year was still on staff. I’d think we’d be more pass happy then last year with the the young QBs having a year under their belt. Losing TC hurts but we still have some size at receiver. 

I’ve heard that Coach Clower will be the offensive coordinator but I have no way of confirming. If that is the case and they run the same offense that those same kids ran in junior high it will be fun to watch.  We will be fine at receiver and we still have the big TE coming back. 

Just now, GWBears01 said:

It will be tough replacing the Qb unless Randall Cunningham’s son is getting the job!

IMO, we don’t need to replace OB. We just need someone that does enough and not ask him to put team on his shoulders. If ya know what I mean. 

• Stinks 1