District 10-2A (D1) Region 3 - 2019

StingEmALTO

4 hours ago, Star4life said:

Carlisle wins this district easily. Alto only team that comes close and heard from pretty good sources they are down from last year. Other teams are much behind Carlisle.  

I haven’t seen alto play a game in person yet this year...but I’d find it hard to believe they are down. Unless a ton of kids aren’t playing from last year, they should’ve brought back atleast 7 starters on both sides of the ball. 

I will say that until someone in the district beats them, Carlisle is the best team in the district. Alto has a gap to close down for sure. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Star4life said:

Carlisle wins this district easily. Alto only team that comes close and heard from pretty good sources they are down from last year. Other teams are much behind Carlisle.  

Guess we’ll see. “Easily?” I’m trying to remember a time when a team came into Jacket Stadium and won “easily.” Ok.....Well Tenaha several several years ago, but we paid them back at their place the very next year. Playing in Alto is usually a tough out. I expect a better contest with Carlisle than last (that was embarrassing at their place! But I’m trying to wipe that from my memory. Lol)  

I don’t think we are “down from last year.”  Too many returning starters and playmakers, plus a young group of players who are contributing. Again, time will tell. Friday night wasn’t too bad minus the penalties. Fix those and I think we will be ok.

Carlisle should be a good, competitive game.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Star4life said:

I see the trolls are coming out early this year. No doubt it’s between Alto and Carlisle. Alto lost a couple key guys at the most....17 seniors this year, I’d tell your source get better intel.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cherokee603 said:

I see the trolls are coming out early this year. No doubt it’s between Alto and Carlisle. Alto lost a couple key guys at the most....17 seniors this year, I’d tell your source get better intel.

Idk haven’t seen them personally just was told they have not much depth with lineman type interior guys. They did lose a couple players that will be hard to replace but wishing them all the luck as well as all east Texas teams.  But just because you have 17 to 20 seniors on a team doesn’t mean you are going to be stronger than previous years and that goes for any team. 

13 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

Guess we’ll see. “Easily?” I’m trying to remember a time when a team came into Jacket Stadium and won “easily.” Ok.....Well Tenaha several several years ago, but we paid them back at their place the very next year. Playing in Alto is usually a tough out. I expect a better contest with Carlisle than last (that was embarrassing at their place! But I’m trying to wipe that from my memory. Lol)  

I don’t think we are “down from last year.”  Too many returning starters and playmakers, plus a young group of players who are contributing. Again, time will tell. Friday night wasn’t too bad minus the penalties. Fix those and I think we will be ok.

Carlisle should be a good, competitive game.

Joaquin beat ya easily a couple of years ago at home

• Thumbs Down 1

10 minutes ago, BlueBlood99 said:

Joaquin beat ya easily a couple of years ago at home

Yes, I’ll give them that. They did win (by two scores actually). Not sure I would call that “easily.” I think “easily” is more like a 47-6 win or maybe 41-0. Perhaps 48-0 or 75-0. 62-12, 63-0, 75-0, 57-0, or even 48-0. I could go on. 

But yeah! Congrats to Joaquin on winning “easily” at Jacket Stadium in the worst season (2017) in Alto football in 30 years. They weren’t the only ones to beat us that year. Get in line with 6 others! 😂  Congrats on finally getting over the hump!

1BDD80B2-73BE-41B2-8D1C-B5C20C680027.jpeg

• Like 3
  • LOL! 1

4 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

Yes, I’ll give them that. They did win (by two scores actually). Not sure I would call that “easily.” I think “easily” is more like a 47-6 win or maybe 41-0. Perhaps 48-0 or 75-0. 62-12, 63-0, 75-0, 57-0, or even 48-0. I could go on. 

But yeah! Congrats to Joaquin on winning “easily” at Jacket Stadium in the worst season (2017) in Alto football in 30 years. They weren’t the only ones to beat us that year. Get in line with 6 others! 😂  Congrats on finally getting over the hump!

Yes.  Exactly.  Congratulations to Joaquin. I’ve often thought that most of the Alto haters were still bitter from years past.  It’s hard to get stomped on 75-0.  (I mean, I’m guessing...I’m not certain that’s ever happened to us).  Btw...that 75-0....That was my team.  But I digress....good luck on your season this year.  Talk to us after having back to back winning seasons for about 30 years. 🐝

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1

1 hour ago, BleedBlackGoldandWhite said:

Yes.  Exactly.  Congratulations to Joaquin. I’ve often thought that most of the Alto haters were still bitter from years past.  It’s hard to get stomped on 75-0.  (I mean, I’m guessing...I’m not certain that’s ever happened to us).  Btw...that 75-0....That was my team.  But I digress....good luck on your season this year.  Talk to us after having back to back winning seasons for about 30 years. 🐝

Not a hater at all. An admirer as a matter of fact. But when ya finally beat the big bad bully on the block it’s kind of fun. No need to drag up 100yrs of records to try and make the current pain go away. We can go back to last year if ya want and your preseason post will read quite similar as this years. If Alto doesn’t develop some self discipline and consistency then you guys can expect to have the same results as the past few seasons..... All the talent in the world but just can’t get it together as a team to have a successful year. Too many penalties. Too much arguing in team. Too many selfish players and agendas. But hey I guess we can always blame the refs for throwing too many flags in your first game. All the history in the world isn’t gonna make any current teams fear you guys. A coach who can motivate kids and get em out of the hallways and install self discipline on and off the field is the only way Alto will return to “Alto” again......You guys have the athletes. Ya just gotta find the right leader.

Sure.  I could tell right away that you were an admirer. 😏  I don’t need you to explain to me about the problems that Alto has faced  in the past few seasons.  I was there.  For every single game.  And I will certainly be the last person to blame the refs for throwing too many flags.  (Again, I was there).  Naturally , our history won’t make any new crops of kids fear us (although their parents certainly give us hard side long glances because, hey....Alto).  Our town is used to getting negative reactions from our long time opponents.  That’s a casualty of being a legacy program. And as far as getting good leaders, I think we’re getting there.  I expect to see improvement, in fact we already have.  I’m confident that these kids will pull it together.  They have big shoes to fill.  Trust me, they’ve heard it all of their lives, too. We’ll just keep plugging away.  And btw....we’re still Alto.  We always have been. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlueBlood99 said:

Not a hater at all. An admirer as a matter of fact. But when ya finally beat the big bad bully on the block it’s kind of fun. No need to drag up 100yrs of records to try and make the current pain go away. We can go back to last year if ya want and your preseason post will read quite similar as this years. If Alto doesn’t develop some self discipline and consistency then you guys can expect to have the same results as the past few seasons..... All the talent in the world but just can’t get it together as a team to have a successful year. Too many penalties. Too much arguing in team. Too many selfish players and agendas. But hey I guess we can always blame the refs for throwing too many flags in your first game. All the history in the world isn’t gonna make any current teams fear you guys. A coach who can motivate kids and get em out of the hallways and install self discipline on and off the field is the only way Alto will return to “Alto” again......You guys have the athletes. Ya just gotta find the right leader.

I believe 100% we have found the right leader. AND I believe last season we achieved a measure of success. Not the kind of success we are accustomed to or even strive to, but steps taken to right the ship. We doubled our win total from the year before and advanced one round further in the playoffs. We lost some kids along the way (seniors) because it was either too hard for those kids, they didn’t buy in, and/or change was not worth it to them. Those are the casualties you experience sometime when new leadership is put in place. It’s inevitable. Happens no matter what the sport or activity (case in point: Our band director’s first year, kids quit or didn’t come out because there was change, and he’s the best director around! Lol 6 years later.....it is the third year in a row to have 100 kids participating and they kick it!)

Now fast forward to this year. Our program numbers are up from last year to this year AND no one has quit; in fact, we have gained some young men who did not play last year. Yes, our players have to be more disciplined (too many procedure penalties, holding, & personal fouls in the first game). We have to be smarter, play with emotion but not lose our cool. We have to play for that guy next to us, which I believe we are doing. There is senior leadership this year to have a special season. The young men have worked too hard, put in too many hours in the weight room/track all summer long to be the way you are describing. I am not blaming the refs for our wohs the other night (Yes! I called them “flag happy suckers!” They were! Lol) I attribute a lot of it to opening night jitters on our part against a quality opponent. Now if we are 3-4-5- games in and still having the same issues, shame on us.

Regarding your “current pain” statement, I don’t have any current pain. You are not in or around our field house. There is not “pain.”  What we have is HOPE, EXCITEMENT, SWEAT, HARD WORKERS, POSITIVE ENERGY, BROTHERHOOD, #jacketP.R.I.D.E. = Purpose | Respect | Integrity | Discipline | and an Elite mindset. Those are the pillars of Coach Meeks’ program and he and his staff are instilling and preaching it EVERY DAY. I see it. I believe it. I KNOW it for a fact. My son is part of it all and we live and breathe it.

Glad you are an “admirer” of the Jackets. I have enjoyed reading your posts. And I can empathize with beating the “big bad bully on the block.”  When we beat Groveton 31-0 in the quarterfinals in ‘95 (first time to beat them in the playoffs!) I was the happiest guy around. Felt good to get that monkey off our shoulders, so I understand the excitement Joaquin felt to finally win. Great feeling! Doesn’t undo all the history we enjoy and celebrate as a program though. 😉 I’m a good American. I LOVE history! Lol

Good luck this season. Y’all are off to a good start! 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What’s really surprising to me is the drop off on the defensive side of the ball over the past few years. That’s what I remember Alto being absolutely dominant in. I wish you guys would get back to being run oriented. To run the spread you gotta have the correct signal caller. In high school that can be tricky to duplicate every year. I remember Alto defense tearing your freakn head off and being suffocating. From watching you guys compete in track over the past two years I think the group of kids that are juniors and sophomores to really lead you back to top. Like in my previous post..... you guys have been your own worse enemy. IMO it started when ya got the Rusk transfer a few years ago. The in team arguing and agendas began and then problems with discipline of current players only made things worse. Wish you guys the best. Ftball is better when Alto is good. You guys are a measuring stick for other programs to reach. Just be careful and don’t turn into Groveton. They used to be good as well and have fallen off the wagon and their program is a shell of what it used to be. Now go beat the #### out of Timpson and put district 10 on notice

4 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

This is what I like to see!!! Pull out all of the facts.

• Like 3
  • LOL! 1

9 minutes ago, Alto2621 said:

I think the series record speaks for itself. Nice try though!

Not referring to the series..... No doubt Alto has dominated Joe over the years. You said you like facts..... I was only responding the comment of winning easily at Jacket stadium and then I get 100yrs of Alto records. The current Alto program is not the program of old.....FACT!!! You may be on the rise or on the come back. But ya ain’t there yet. I got mad respect for ya cuz I played against y’all 25yrs ago and have seen ya up close and watched your playoff run year in and year out.

3 minutes ago, BlueBlood99 said:

Not referring to the series..... No doubt Alto has dominated Joe over the years. You said you like facts..... I was only responding the comment of winning easily at Jacket stadium and then I get 100yrs of Alto records. The current Alto program is not the program of old.....FACT!!! You may be on the rise or on the come back. But ya ain’t there yet. I got mad respect for ya cuz I played against y’all 25yrs ago and have seen ya up close and watched your playoff run year in and year out.

I think the 100 year of Alto facts came out when you called it an “easy” win. It was a win, I’ll give you that. But, 35-20 has nothing on the records you can see for yourself. No, we aren’t where we have been in the past, but we have definitely been on the come up since this “easy” win in which you are referring. Super pumped to see what this year holds for us! 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, BlueBlood99 said:

We aren’t the Alto program of old for the last few years.  This is true.  And people tend to kick you when you’re down.  And they should while they can, because (FACT)  Alto doesn’t tend to stay down long.  (Even after we are hit by tragedy after tragedy). You can take that to the bank. Speaking of banks...my money is on the Jackets.  Always. 

• Like 2

Anyone that tries to dismiss 100 years of facts we’ll cmon. Regardless of a couple years of less than “alto” stellar performance, they are feared. Alto will always be feared. There’s teams you play and yea you are worried /anxious but then there’s going up against alto. Even if they haven’t had the best last few seasons, they are the team that puts you on edge. Facts are facts. Every program goes through some ups and downs but sorry bud, and this is coming from an outsider (a rusk one at that)....ALTO IS FEARED. 

• Like 2

Wish you guys the best. Ftball is better when Alto is good. You guys are a measuring stick for other programs to reach. Just be careful and don’t turn into Groveton. They used to be good as well and have fallen off the wagon and their program is a shell of what it used to be. Now go beat the #### out of Timpson and put district 10 on notice

Groveton is a head scratcher to me. Their last big run was 1996 and they haven’t made much noise since. It’s a slippery slope. Can take years to build something and then BOOM it be gone. It all comes down to what Southlake Carroll has used as a theme for years: “Protect the Tradition.”  Believe me. We value it and are trying to continue it. You look back at the great teams and you don’t want to be THAT TEAM that “drops the ball.”

We are on the comeback trail in my opinion. Time will tell the true story, but we will do whatever it takes to continue the legacy and tradition that is Alto Football. It was awesome being back in our home stadium Friday night cheering on our home team. The stadium was packed and there was a lot of energy. It was a sloppy game, but we left there knowing there is a lot of ball to play and we’ll get better every week! I believe that. 👍

• Like 2

What’s really surprising to me is the drop off on the defensive side of the ball over the past few years. That’s what I remember Alto being absolutely dominant in. I wish you guys would get back to being run oriented. To run the spread you gotta have the correct signal caller. In high school that can be tricky to duplicate every year. I remember Alto defense tearing your freakn head off and being suffocating. From watching you guys compete in track over the past two years I think the group of kids that are juniors and sophomores to really lead you back to top. Like in my previous post..... you guys have been your own worse enemy. IMO it started when ya got the Rusk transfer a few years ago. The in team arguing and agendas began and then problems with discipline of current players only made things worse. Wish you guys the best. Ftball is better when Alto is good. You guys are a measuring stick for other programs to reach. Just be careful and don’t turn into Groveton. They used to be good as well and have fallen off the wagon and their program is a shell of what it used to be. Now go beat the #### out of Timpson and put district 10 on notice

Define spread. Define run-oriented. 

Just now, villagegenius said:

Define spread. Define run-oriented. 

IMO the spread can be used as a run attack or pass attack. It lessens the physicality of your approach either way. I still believe games are won in the trenches. Teams try to be balanced these days and get away from what they are really good at. Later in the year the weather gets bad and ya better be able to line up and run it. Sure throw it 5-10 times a game to keep a team from stacking the box on ya. But don’t cave in to today’s society and attempt to be cute and throw it 25 times a game. On the 2A level you don’t have the personnel year in and year out to be an effective pass spread team. Sure they may be certain groups but overall it’s hard to replicate it on 2A level.