Best HS football player EVER in East Texas?

Eagleborn

2 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

What was that LB's name that went to OU after Marshall won state?

That was when I was a kid.  @Mavchamp knows more history.  Aaron Franklin was a LB that went to OU but was not on any of the state finalists teams that I know of

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

For whatever reason, we played those wingT JT teams well in the 90s... but if you put us up against a wishbone team they were guaranteed at least 40 points.

you are correct...Marshall was always a tough game for JT. Those Marshall/JT games in the 90s were always good.

2 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

What was that LB's name that went to OU after Marshall won state?

27 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

That was when I was a kid.  @Mavchamp knows more history.  Aaron Franklin was a LB that went to OU but was not on any of the state finalists teams that I know of

Tremaine Green (sp?)

19 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Nope that was a couple of years before I got there.

sorenson probably, not near the arm as mallett but a lot better athlete. that may have been around cobi hamiltons time there who played wr @ arkansas and has been on a few teams in the nfl.

14 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

JT won the district Talley's senior yr (98-99) (and beat Longview), and his junior yr, JT went to state semi finals (Longview went to finals, but they played one less game in Div.1 then).  JT also went to state 2 yrs later.  The decline started after the 2001 season.

But to continue the conversation, the best players for me...Earl, Marc Broyles (John Tyler), Adrian Peterson, Keyuo Craver, Pat Mahomes, Kendrick Starling (Marshall),

Honorable mention, Aaron Ross, David Warren, Jeremy Johnson, Greg Ward, Fred Ross (all from JT)

While Mahomes has turned into an exceptional NFL QB I did not project him to be a must see talent in high school.

Tops is hard to pick.  I,ve watched the Tyler Rose play. Toughest man I've ever seen carry a football. I've also seen Overstreet, a gifted runner. It was a shame we didn,t get to see him excel in the NFL. Tragic ending for him.  Billy Sims from hooks, I seen run all over Mt. Pleasant. Those three to me of whom I've seen play, I would have to pick Earl.

As for Daingerfield.  If only Tyler Boyd was taller.  He was a winner.  Best QB I've seen toss the ball.  I agree that David King was better than Edmonds. Difference, he was meaner.  Thomas Everet, his brother Eric.  Stutsman, so many good ones.

Honorable mention.  Maury Buford, punter from Mt. Pleasant. Got a ring with Da Bears.  Chicago.

I've only heard stories of how great Earl and Billy were in high school. The best East Tx offensive player I've actually seen was Anthony Byerly of Newton. The best east Tx Defensive player was the 83 Tigers of D'field!!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, YoeHigh said:

I've only heard stories of how great Earl and Billy were in high school. The best East Tx offensive player I've actually seen was Anthony Byerly of Newton. The best east Tx Defensive player was the 83 Tigers of D'field!!

They were not the biggest, but every one of them were quick to the ball. If I remember right. They allowed just over a yard per play.  Defense only allowed 6 points. Offense give up 2 on a safety. 

• Stinks 1

13 minutes ago, MuleSlicks said:

They were not the biggest, but every one of them were quick to the ball. If I remember right. They allowed just over a yard per play.  Defense only allowed 6 points. Offense give up 2 on a safety. 

Where you been hiding, Old Man? 

On 6/25/2019 at 9:05 PM, Hookemhorns88 said:

While Mahomes has turned into an exceptional NFL QB I did not project him to be a must see talent in high school.

Hmmm....Then you as a Longhorn fan must have an eye for QB prospects like Mack Brown  (who famously missed out on several future NFL QB's from Texas)...lol

I don't know how you guys missed out on him.  I watched him play several games his Junior and Senior yr at Whitehouse and he was doing the exact same thing he is doing now in the NFL. I watched him almost beat JT  his junior yr, then beat JT his senior yr. (although those WH teams had a ton of talent)  He threw for almost 8500 yards, with 96 TDs and 15 INT's in just 2 yrs.  His senior yr alone he rushed for over 900 yards and threw for 4600 with 50 td's and 6 ints. Not to mention his dad was a former MLB player.  He was basically a can't miss prospect.

by the way, I am a Longhorn fan too...lol. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

Hmmm....Then you as a Longhorn fan must have an eye for QB prospects like Mack Brown  (who famously missed out on several future NFL QB's from Texas)...lol

I don't know how you guys missed out on him.  I watched him play several games his Junior and Senior yr at Whitehouse and he was doing the exact same thing he is doing now in the NFL. I watched him almost beat JT  his junior yr, then beat JT his senior yr. (although those WH teams had a ton of talent)  He threw for almost 8500 yards, with 96 TDs and 15 INT's in just 2 yrs.  His senior yr alone he rushed for over 900 yards and threw for 4600 with 50 td's and 6 ints. Not to mention his dad was a former MLB player.  He was basically a can't miss prospect.

Don't forget he didn't start every game his jr year because they were using a 2 qb system. He also only played 13 games his senior year. Most of the time when people throw for that many yards they played 15 to 16 games that year. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MuleSlicks said:

A little "over a yard per play"?!  A yard a play was being generous against that defense!  I thought it was a little over a "foot" per play.  Hmmm...

On 6/27/2019 at 4:31 AM, JTFAN99 said:

BOOMER SOONERS!!!

On 6/27/2019 at 11:06 AM, VonG said:

Don't forget he didn't start every game his jr year because they were using a 2 qb system. He also only played 13 games his senior year. Most of the time when people throw for that many yards they played 15 to 16 games that year. 

+1000