Best HS football player EVER in East Texas?

Eagleborn

18 hours ago, 1jacket said:

Chris Harris - Elysian Fields.  He had speed and power, he ran for over 3,000 yards in a season. 

He would've been the first to have done it two yrs straight if he stayed healthy, he missed several games his Sr yr and still had 2,000

2 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

David King was by far the best LB from Daingerfield. I’m sure most DF guys would agree. He was head and shoulders better than Edmond. Edmond was phenomenal, but King was not of this world on the field. Just didn’t have the grades.  Should’ve played on Sundays. 

I wasn't blessed enough to see him unfortunately  

5 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

If we are separating their high school career from whatever came after, how do the Longview folks feel about throwing Fred Talley in this mix?

I don't know bout best ever in Texas but Longview...it's toss up between him and Bobby. Might could throw few others in the mix

4 minutes ago, gtee2 said:

I don't know bout best ever in Texas but Longview...it's toss up between him and Bobby. Might could throw few others in the mix

It said "East Texas" which is why i threw his name in there.  If we are going for one of the best ever in Texas, you guys may have seen Jonathan Gray...  That kid was a beast in high school.  I am trying to think of a few in E TX that I've seen in person...

Muckelroy from Hallsville... his teams weren't always the greatest, but I know when I listened and watched Marshall games, his name was constantly being said making a tackle or in the mix of a big play etc...

When I was the Athletic Trainer at Marshall, Longview was in the district, but they didn't have a stud... their whole damned team were studs... and to be honest, so were we, but we were no match... I think my final year there, we had 12 kids sign for at least a partial scholarship to play college football and we probably still lost by 40 to Longview.

PT, Mt Pleasant, Kilgore, Hallsville were all down while I was there.  And to be honest, Texas High didn't have much besides a QB back then either...  

When I was in school, Longview had Fred Talley, we had a solid team, Lufkin was a beast, John Tyler was in a decline, and I believe Tyler Lee had a good QB (1998).  

So overall, Talley is the only individual that I really remember being a standout since 1996 until present in East Texas that I have seen play in person.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

David King was by far the best LB from Daingerfield. I’m sure most DF guys would agree. He was head and shoulders better than Edmond. Edmond was phenomenal, but King was not of this world on the field. Just didn’t have the grades.  Should’ve played on Sundays. 

King was super explosive.

On 6/21/2019 at 6:32 PM, VonG said:

He did play linebacker and was all state at that. 

That's what I was thinking, but I couldn't find those records.  I heard he also wanted to play linebacker at U.T. , but Darrell Royal wouldn't let him.  I found a story that while at J.T. he would fumble the ball at the line, because he wanted to play linebacker so bad.  Finally a coach made a deal with him that he could play two ways.  Barry Switzer said he was the first player he had seen who could have went straight from high school to the Pro's.  I'm sticking with the Tyler Rose.  https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/earl-campbell/

19 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

It said "East Texas" which is why i threw his name in there.  If we are going for one of the best ever in Texas, you guys may have seen Jonathan Gray...  That kid was a beast in high school.  I am trying to think of a few in E TX that I've seen in person...

Muckelroy from Hallsville... his teams weren't always the greatest, but I know when I listened and watched Marshall games, his name was constantly being said making a tackle or in the mix of a big play etc...

When I was the Athletic Trainer at Marshall, Longview was in the district, but they didn't have a stud... their whole damned team were studs... and to be honest, so were we, but we were no match... I think my final year there, we had 12 kids sign for at least a partial scholarship to play college football and we probably still lost by 40 to Longview.

PT, Mt Pleasant, Kilgore, Hallsville were all down while I was there.  And to be honest, Texas High didn't have much besides a QB back then either...  

When I was in school, Longview had Fred Talley, we had a solid team, Lufkin was a beast, John Tyler was in a decline, and I believe Tyler Lee had a good QB (1998).  

So overall, Talley is the only individual that I really remember being a standout since 1996 until present in East Texas that I have seen play in person.

My bad...I meant East Tx. And say it's either Fred or Bobby football. But overall athlete...Bobby is the man