#6 John Tyler (5A D-I) vs. John Horn (6A D-II)

cujoforlife

7 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

ESPN NEED TO CANCEL US. Well for now at least....

calm down...lol  JT look much worse last yr, and they honestly should have beat the state champs in 5a div.1 last yr.  This team is very inexperience on offense. going take some L's at first, but they should be better by end of season. Hopefully lol

5 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Man, what happened? Sounds unlike JT. 

Was Horn that much better? Did JT make a few mistakes? Is it something they can correct moving forward and make noise in the playoffs? 

JT left some points on the field...(got within 10yd line twice with no points in second half). And threw an INT which resulted in a short TD by Horn.  probably should have been more like a 31-27 Horn win.   JT, other than Crawford and about 2-3 other players, is breaking in all new players on off.  Its going to be some growing pains. Def played ok, but they were on field alot.

something of note, Horn put up over 500 yds passing against DeSoto in the scrimmage last week. So maybe they are a little better than we think. 

3 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

JT left some points on the field...(got within 10yd line twice with no points in second half). And threw an INT which resulted in a short TD by Horn.  probably should have been more like a 31-27 Horn win.   JT, other than Crawford and about 2-3 other players, is breaking in all new players on off.  Its going to be some growing pains. Def played ok, but they were on field alot.

something of note, Horn put up over 500 yds passing against DeSoto in the scrimmage last week. So maybe they are a little better than we think. 

Still was winnable game for JT without all the mistakes..

Can't blame everything on the coaching staff. JT just doesn't have it right now. I think Coach is gonna have to change some things up. Like having practice after school would be a start. Maybe more kids will join the program. It also don't help the way Tisd drew the boundary lines.

JT: A Young team in a lot of key positions is going to take a min. The offense just wasn’t in  sink.  On defense, they just need to get the basic  scheme down. Turn the runner in, don’t let him get outside. If you have outside containment, play it.

Horn: All new coaches ? They are doing a hack of a job. The QB and receivers work good together. Did you see that pivot move number 12 did on the comerback on the goal line for a score? If you don’t pressure the QB and  contain him, it’s a wrap, l like him. Their offensive  line wasn’t that impressive, we beat’em a lot, just couldn’t contain the QB.

Their defense was their linebackers. # 44 

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

It does sound like Horn is MUCH improved this season (they're always pretty good every few years) and that JT just had an off night and were slowed by injuries. 

Hoping you guys can put it together for our ESPN showdown! 

It. Also doesn’t help when half the team is going both ways. I think Holmes should go ahead and bring the freshman DB who already has an offer from Kansas cause Kitan has no help, cause #9 was getting smoked all night long. I mean it can’t be any worse than today lol.

9 hours ago, VonG said:

Can't blame everything on the coaching staff. JT just doesn't have it right now. I think Coach is gonna have to change some things up. Like having practice after school would be a start. Maybe more kids will join the program. It also don't help the way Tisd drew the boundary lines.

yep. something is off.  JT has never had alot of players...Even during Wilson days there was probably only 50-60 kids on varsity,   35 is too low, especially when there is a total of 8 or 9 off and def lineman combined. 

6 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

It. Also doesn’t help when half the team is going both ways. I think Holmes should go ahead and bring the freshman DB who already has an offer from Kansas cause Kitan has no help, cause #9 was getting smoked all night long. I mean it can’t be any worse than today lol.

not sure you can bring a freshman up. He needs to get stronger an faster. Big difference at the varsity level with 5a/6a ball.  I only know of one or two who played as Freshman. VonG may know, but i think David Warren played as a freshman, and Tre Allison a few yrs ago started on Fresh, then JV and eventually ended up as backup Rb on varsity by district.  But David was probably 6'3 230 as a fresh and Tre was probably 6 ft 200 pounds. The Fresh DB isn't built like those dudes. 

8 hours ago, cujo2016 said:

JT: A Young team in a lot of key positions is going to take a min. The offense just wasn’t in  sink.  On defense, they just need to get the basic  scheme down. Turn the runner in, don’t let him get outside. If you have outside containment, play it.

Horn: All new coaches ? They are doing a hack of a job. The QB and receivers work good together. Did you see that pivot move number 12 did on the comerback on the goal line for a score? If you don’t pressure the QB and  contain him, it’s a wrap, l like him. Their offensive  line wasn’t that impressive, we beat’em a lot, just couldn’t contain the QB.

Their defense was their linebackers. # 44 

The newspaper says that Horn kept all of their coaches.  The only change was the Def coord replaced the head coach.  

5 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

yep. something is off.  JT has never had alot of players...Even during Wilson days there was probably only 50-60 kids on varsity,   35 is too low, especially when there is a total of 8 or 9 off and def lineman combined. 

Damn.....but at least we have Nac this week and y’all have Lee?? But then again, they have given y’all some problems over the years. Should be better games by our boys though.