#6 John Tyler (5A D-I) vs. John Horn (6A D-II)

cujoforlife

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

yep. something is off.  JT has never had alot of players...Even during Wilson days there was probably only 50-60 kids on varsity,   35 is too low, especially when there is a total of 8 or 9 off and def lineman combined. 

Yeah but out of the 50 Wilson had, 43 of them were studs. Lol. Coach Holmes always says he only carries 50 players on varsity. Yeah because that's all he has. It's not like the jv team has like 60 to 70 players on their squad. The jv team always have less players than the varsity. Trust me if the varsity could have 60+ players. I don't think Coach Holmes would turn them away. If JT had 60+ players on varsity I'm sure you could find 4 or 5 more stud players. Then you wouldn't have players going both ways. 

12 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

not sure you can bring a freshman up. He needs to get stronger an faster. Big difference at the varsity level with 5a/6a ball.  I only know of one or two who played as Freshman. VonG may know, but i think David Warren played as a freshman, and Tre Allison a few yrs ago started on Fresh, then JV and eventually ended up as backup Rb on varsity by district.  But David was probably 6'3 230 as a fresh and Tre was probably 6 ft 200 pounds. The Fresh DB isn't built like those dudes. 

You’re right, that’s what we was experiencing with some of the new comer last night.

I'm a address the elephant in the room. No one wants to talk about this. It has finally caught up with Tisd. To many schools are eating off Tyler. Cumberland Academy has 1000 students. Tyler Classical, UT Tyler innovation, the list goes on. It's just to much. We are starting to see it now.

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

The newspaper says that Horn kept all of their coaches.  The only change was the Def coord replaced the head coach.  

This is not true. Horn has one coach that has been their for more than a year. JT issue is going to be depth. A 35 man roster at that level makes it hard on everyone. You have to many guys having to play both ways and it shows in the second half. JT gave up two 90+ plays in that game. Assume a few guys are gonna get hurt during the season you can bet it's only going to get more difficult when you hit the playoffs. Depth matters and suiting up 35 is not gonna cut it. JT will be okay but coach Holmes is gonna have to increase the numbers too around 45-50.

• Like 1

Just now, Grainraiser said:

This is not true. Horn has one coach that has been their for more than a year. JT issue is going to be depth. A 35 man roster at that level makes it hard on everyone. You have to many guys having to play both ways and it shows in the second half. JT gave up two 90+ plays in that game. Assume a few guys are gonna get hurt during the season you can bet it's only going to get more difficult when you hit the playoffs. Depth matters and suiting up 35 is not gonna cut it. JT will be okay but coach Holmes is gonna have to increase the numbers too around 45-50.

How can you increase? Pull guys up from  the jv. Jv don't have  a lot of players either. Apparently if they were good enough,  they would already be on varsity. It's not like he has an extra 15 to 20 people waiting in the wings. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VonG said:

I'm a address the elephant in the room. No one wants to talk about this. It has finally caught up with Tisd. To many schools are eating off Tyler. Cumberland Academy has 1000 students. Tyler Classical, UT Tyler innovation, the list goes on. It's just to much. We are starting to see it now.

those schools don't have football, only the privates do, and they hurt Lee more than JT. 

They got to find a way to get more kids to play and retain the ones that do because 35 kids is not enough.  And honestly, even if JT would have won last night, I would have thought the same way. 

30 minutes ago, Grainraiser said:

I'm sure you are closer to the situation than us, so I take your word, but the Tyler paper said otherwise..  

I agree, last yr they carried about 45 players.  That's about where JT needs to be.

9 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

those schools don't have football, only the privates do, and they hurt Lee more than JT. 

They got to find a way to get more kids to play and retain the ones that do because 35 kids is not enough.  And honestly, even if JT would have won last night, I would have thought the same way. 

If they carry football or not, I'm sure a lot of those kids would play football if they went to JT or Lee. 

5 minutes ago, cujo2016 said:

JT will be at capacity, they just don’t play football.

So you are saying JT will have 2750 kids when the school is finished? I don't see either one ever reaching the full capacity in the near are far future. Unless some developers are about to start building some apartments on the north side of hwy 31and around the loop. I don't see it.

Just now, cujo2016 said:

No, is that what’s the capacity supposed to be? They will be there in four years.

Yeah the capacity is 2750 for both schools. Four years. You must know something I don't. They not building new subdivisions north of 31. Where the line is drawn to divide which school you have to attend. 

14 minutes ago, VonG said:

Yeah the capacity is 2750 for both schools. Four years. You must know something I don't. They not building new subdivisions north of 31. Where the line is drawn to divide which school you have to attend. 

Yeah, you right, that could be a problem, alone with 45 wall.

4 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

not saying JT is great this yr, but is it possible that JT ain't as bad as we think and Horn is better than we thought? 

Horn will have a good season. I see them finishing 3rd in district, Mesquite’s game last night was not solid so I see them topping them for that 3rd spot.

JT will have a good season. They’re district is not that competitive in terms of talent to what JT has. And the playoff run will be there until they meet HP. 

Just depends on what expectations you have. 

• Like 1